What's with the ads?

Photo

Chemistry alternative to Apologia?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 ManagerMom

ManagerMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1935 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

Chemistry alternative to Apologia
Apologia is proving to be too hard for my dd 16. I was wondering if any of you have switched to something else that was easier maybe less math intensive. I've researced some programs but it's so hard to tell without seeing them in person. Hoping someone else has been in this boat before and can offer some guidance.

thanks!
Carol

Posted Image

#2 Kareni

Kareni

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10951 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

I've reported genfirvi's post above as spam. genfirvi copied Choirfarm's post from here and added a live link.

Regards,
Kareni

#3 creekland

creekland

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11808 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:15 AM

Chemistry alternative to Apologia
Apologia is proving to be too hard for my dd 16. I was wondering if any of you have switched to something else that was easier maybe less math intensive. I've researced some programs but it's so hard to tell without seeing them in person. Hoping someone else has been in this boat before and can offer some guidance.

thanks!
Carol

Posted Image

If you can borrow them (library, netflix) check out the Teaching Company's Chemistry lectures. Those aren't really a stand alone course, but could go along with Apologia to assist. His first few lectures explain the basics of the math really well - to get the concept of it - which then helps considerably doing it. If you then decide to buy, they are on sale - I just got mine for $40 with a special code. They're $80 without the code. I'm not sure how long the sale runs.

Otherwise, any high school Chemistry I've seen has been math intensive. There may be a middle school Chemistry out there somewhere that is purely conceptual. I'm not familiar with that level.

What's with the ads?