What's with the ads?

Photo

Chemistry alternative to Apologia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 ManagerMom

ManagerMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

Apologia is proving to be too hard for my dd 16. I was wondering if any of you have switched to something else that was easier maybe less math intensive. I've researced some programs but it's so hard to tell without seeing them in person. Hoping someone else has been in this boat before and can offer some guidance.

thanks!
Carol

#2 elegantlion

elegantlion

fan of the cheesecake since 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25196 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

You might try cross posting this on the high school board. There have been some excellent conversations about chemistry over there lately. I know one item discussed has been the teaching company chemistry DVDs, which are currently on sale.

#3 ManagerMom

ManagerMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

great idea

thanks!

#4 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14435 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

Would Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry be too easy for her? They are geared towards a middle school audience but many of the topics included are on the California state high school standard for general (i.e. non-UC prep) chemistry.

Another resource I've heard great things about but haven't actually used is Conceptual Chemistry by Suchocki. It's designed to be a college chemistry text for liberal arts majors. I'm considering using it for our next time through chemistry if my DD isn't ready for the math portion of a regular high school course.

#5 LadyAberlin

LadyAberlin

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2854 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

Theirs friendly chemistry and also Integrated physics and chemistry. RR sells both.

#6 ManagerMom

ManagerMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Thank you ladies for the suggestions. I will check them out.

What's with the ads?