Menu

Why is it important to know what an antonym or sysnonym is?

Antonym: words that are opposite: hot/cold up/down.

Synonym: words that are the same: thin/skinny

We're on the part in our grammar lessons where we're learning about antonyms and synonyms. What's the big deal with them? Who cares if words that are opposite are called "antonyms?" Is the point of learning this just to learn the two vocabulary words "Antonym" and "Synonym?"

Or is there another reason to learning about antonyms and synonyms beyond learning a grammar term? (Especially antonyms. I mean, I can see saying, "I need to look in the thesaurus for a synonym for the word 'rant.'") But I just don't see anyone ever using the word "antonym" in any kind of setting.

Edited by Garga_

Two reasons I can think of off the top of my head

1)In reading, especially poetry, it will help with understanding the poem. It helps to be able to look at a piece of literature to use the correct terms as you try and understand what the writer was trying to say. Understanding and recognizing the literature devices the author used will give you deeper insight into the piece.

2) It will improve your writing. Being able to know what a synonym is will help your student to use them in his writing. I guess you could just say "Use a word that has the same meaning" But knowing the correct terminology of the craft you are doing makes it a lot easier. I.E. when I crochet, instead of saying single crochet I could say go through loops once, yarn over, go through again, but it is a lot easier to just use the correct teminology and say do a single crochet.

The same question could be asked about any number of things we study, but the answer (in my mind) is still the same - because it is part of a well-rounded education. Knowing the meaning of many things is just part of being an educated person. You may never use the term "antonym" or "synonym" but we use "synonym" all the time here in our writing. It expands the ability to write when you know other words that mean the same thing. While we don't use "antonym" frequently, that doesn't mean we shouldn't know what it means. I don't use the term "solar system" or "hieroglyphics" frequently either, but I should still know what they mean.

Pragmatic response? Because the SAT and ACT will have a question asking for the antonym of a particular word. At that point, you want to have no doubt that you are looking for the opposite of the word.

But I would think that we need to know the word antonym for the same reason that we study any vocabulary at all. An understanding of its roots helps us to decipher other words. And it helps us understand what others are saying if they insist on using such high-falutin language instead of plain old common sense English. :D

Pragmatic response? Because the SAT and ACT will have a question asking for the antonym of a particular word. At that point, you want to have no doubt that you are looking for the opposite of the word.

:iagree:Also, there are questions on many tests about dictionary and thesaurus skills. It's about teaching them to use various resources.

What a great question!

For a practical reason - There are dictionaries that not only list "synonyms" but also "antonyms" and you would have to know the meaning of the words (synonyms, antonyms) to see which was the list of similar words and which was the list of opposite words,

Also, vocabulary is one of the marks of an educated person. I've read of vocabulary being used to determine intelligence, in people and in animals!