Menu

College Acceptances and/or Scholarships - Class of 2010

creekland

Having read the thread below where acceptances and scholarships inspire those with younger students... should we list acceptances and/or scholarships on a thread for those that want to read it? I debated... but here's mine:

Senior son looking to go to a Christian school with plans on becoming a microfinance manager:

Applied and accepted to:

Covenant College (GA)

Union University (TN)

Calvin College (MI) (though acceptances at these latter two are not official until they get the ACT scores we just sent - formality at both)

Merit scholarships offered so far include:

$8500/year to Covenant college

$8500/year to Union U

Both of those with the 'chance' to qualify for more this coming winter and each additional year pending on a minimum GPA.

He did not apply anywhere else so we are merely working on scholarships.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent idea - and those are GREAT Merit scholarships!!! :) I'll stop my thread below and use this one, too. Everyone else - post here as you get those acceptance letters! We can edit/update our posts, too, without making new ones as more acceptances come in.

DS so far (he applied to 11 colleges)

Carthage College (WI) -$42,000 merit ($4,000 more if he interviews for Honors in Feb.)

Montana State - Bozeman - $24,000 merit (both here and Carthage is trying for Honors Scholarships, too.)

Ferris State (Michigan) UPDATE 11/11 - Ferris just offered two scholarships - one gives in-state tuition (almost $20,000) and the other, merit-based, is $22,000 total.

Augustana College (IL) - $66,000 -

Edited by JFSinIL

DD just got accepted to Cedarville University (OH) with an $8000/year merit scholarship. She plans to major in nursing and minor in music.

Cedarville was her first choice (big sister is already there), so she was holding off applying to other colleges since she was pretty sure she'd get it. She's been taking a course online from Cedarville this semester and plans to take another next semester. She has a chance at another small scholarship based on her performance in these classes.

Congratulations to all!

Leanna

My dd has applied and been accepted to:

Union University

U of MS

Belhaven College

She was told verbally she qualified for Union's top merit scholarship...but stopped the process when she realized that their program *really* is *not* what she wants. She is no longer pursuing Union *at all*.

I don't have the letter in front of me, but Ole Miss has offered her full tuition and room based on NMSF status alone. She was told VERBALLY that she qualified for a merit scholarship that paid room/board/plus a stipend and sent an app to fill out for that. Also, if she is a NMF, she will automatically get the same plus a possible study abroad stipend...so this is all still in process. She also needs to do her piano audition.

DD's top choice is Belhaven College. Based on her test scores and GPA, she has been awarded their top merit scholarship of $9,000 per year. She performed her piano audition yesterday and did fabulous! We were told she should hear back soon from them re: a music scholarship and that we will be pleased. Belhaven is a private school and does not fund based on NM standing, but they would accept a scholarship from the NMSC. This school is the PERFECT fit for her program-wise as well as size, opportunities for playing etc....so we are beginning to realize that *free* isn't always the *easy* choice. :)

OK - making a new copy of my post to add info as it comes (since I can't underline etc. when I add to the post above)

Excellent idea - and those are GREAT Merit scholarships!!! I'll stop my thread below and use this one, too. Everyone else - post here as you get those acceptance letters! We can edit/update our posts, too, without making new ones as more acceptances come in.

DS so far (he applied to 11 colleges):

Carthage College (WI) -$42,000 merit ($4,000 more if he interviews for Honors in Feb.)

Montana State - Bozeman - $24,000 merit (both here and Carthage is trying for Honors Scholarships, too.)

Ferris State (Michigan) UPDATE 11/11 - Ferris just offered two scholarships - one gives in-state tuition (almost $20,000) and the other, merit-based, is $22,000 total.

yet to hear from...

Vanderbilt

University of the Pacific - Stockton, CA

Illinois Wesleyan

Wooster - Ohio

Gettysburg

University of Minnesota- Twin Cities - ACCEPTED!!! No scholarship info until March, though. He should get some merit, at least.

University of the South - Sewanee- TN

Edited by JFSinIL

JFS - That is wonderful!

Are those scholarship amounts for the first year or for 4 years? I am not sure how colleges offer these scholarships. I have a junior and will need to understand this very soon.

all four years - the $66 from Augustana means $16.5 per year for four years, for example. So ds still has to apply for more scholarships for most of these places

This is a fun idea! I am encouraged by seeing how our homeschooled students are faring.

My son has been accepted by LeTourneau University in Longview, TX. If he makes the leap from NM Semifinalist to Finalist, LeTU will offer a scholarship equal to tuition for four years. WE would be on the hook for room and board and tavel, etc. Still, $10K a year is more doable than $30K!

He is in the process of applying to a variety of other colleges and universities. We discovered the University of New Mexico at a college fair. Verbally, the recruiter has told us that ds is eligible for a full ride based on his status and scores. We will see!

WE are out the door - more later!

blessings,

April

Congratulations April. Letourneau is 15 minutes from my house and there are lots of professor families in my homeschool co-op. My children have gone to academic camps there and my dh has helped out with their prosthesis(sp?) program a little. My children will take some of their dual credit classes there. It's a great school.

Christine

My daughter has applied to:

Grove City College: northwestern PA. She has applied Early Decision, we'll find out December 15th. Based on her ACT scores, she qualifies for their only merit scholarship ($5000), but there are only 25 available and a large % of applicants also qualify. Grove City says that their low cost (about $20K per year for everything) is actually a "scholarship" for everyone.

Samford University: Birmingham, AL. This is her back-up school. Once again, her ACT scores qualify her for their highest scholarship and she has been invited to apply to their University Fellows honors program which also has scholarship money involved. Unfortunately, scholarship decisions aren't made until Mar. 1st, but we've been assured verbally that she would get a good amount.

King College--Bristol, TN. Her back-up, back-up school. It's close to home and has a good amount of scholarship money available. I highly doubt that she'll end up there, though.

I can't wait to finally find out Grove City's decision. It's really the only place she wants to go. Luckily, she had a great interview, and that's a big thing with them. On pins and needles here!

Wonderful! Congratulations, everyone! My son's first round of apps. are in and the deadlines are all December 1, so I'm hopeful that we will have some info soon, too!

It's sort of funny, one state school to which he applied has already sent him a "certificate of acceptance", and we haven't even sent them his ACT scores or transcript yet! They don't have an early app. date, so we didn't think we needed to be in a hurry about it..... (Sorta scary, isn't it?)

The mail brought in DS' second acceptance letter. Today it was from Rose-Hulman and the previous one was from Colorado School of Mines. Both hold off on merit aid until mid-March.

DS is working on one more application and has several other schools he's waiting to hear from. Some should come in December, some in January and some in mid-March.

Carole

The mail brought in DS' second acceptance letter. Today it was from Rose-Hulman and the previous one was from Colorado School of Mines. Both hold off on merit aid until mid-March.

DS is working on one more application and has several other schools he's waiting to hear from. Some should come in December, some in January and some in mid-March.

Carole

Congrats to you and your son, Carole! Four applications down here, two more to go...

Jane

Thank you.

DS, for those that don't know broke his leg and tore knee cartilage 5 weeks ago in a skating accident, is healing. One month down and maybe just 3 to 5 more months to go. We are now taking things a week at a time. A little more than a week ago he was finally able to stand and move about without pain and has permission to sometimes put 50% of his body weight on his leg. He started PT last week too and has regained quite a lot of flexibility in a short time. The PT has been a riot to work with. They were excited to start working with DS since a tibial plateau fracture like he has is a rarity. We also learned that DS has 2 fractures on the plateau, torn ACL, ruptured IT band and a number of other tears. His attitude through this has been fabulously positive.

Carole

Wonderful news, Carole & son!! Yay for the early acceptances!

Rose Hulman is an excellent school - we looked into it for my son a few years back. I know of one homeschool dad/engineer who graduated from Rose and has only good things to say of his experience there.

My dd pushed the button on her fourth application yesterday. She has to finish the Common App supplements on her final four by the end of the month. She'll hear back from her first three schools in two weeks (biting nails here!)

~Kathy

DS, for those that don't know broke his leg and tore knee cartilage 5 weeks ago in a skating accident, is healing. ... His attitude through this has been fabulously positive.

Glad to hear that he is mending, Carole, albeit slowly, and that he is maintaining a positive attitude.

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

This was last year, but I don't think I posted it then. Thought it may help someone to know about it this year.

Meghan was awarded a full ride (tuition, room, board, books) to Arizona State University based on her National Merit status. She was accepted into Barrett Honors College which affords many extra advantages like priority registration, a beautiful (and delicious) dining hall, new dorms, special courses, classrooms, and advisors just for the Barrett kids. Also, it's easier to get overrides for more credits per semester and they can take graduate level or law school courses as an undergrad. They also get the plum internships and on-campus jobs. She is teaching a regular tutoring course in her field as a Sophomore making $10 an hour. It's a pretty sweet setup.

Barb

The mail brought in DS' second acceptance letter. Today it was from Rose-Hulman and the previous one was from Colorado School of Mines.

An email arrived today from Drexel --- congratulations you've been accepted. DS was thrilled. His Grand dad went to Drexel right after WW2 so this one has a special meaning to him. :)

Thank you too for your previous congrats.

Why I can not just edit the post above I do not know.

OK - recopying AGAIN as the edit button seems to not work after a period of time.

DS so far (he applied to 12 colleges):

University of Minnesota- Twin Cities - ACCEPTED!!! No scholarship info until March, though. He should get some merit, at least.

Grand Valley State (Michigan) - just got in-state tuition and about $6,000 more, plus possibly $20,000 after an interview/essay there in January.

yet to hear from...

Vanderbilt

University of the Pacific - Stockton, CA

Illinois Wesleyan

Wooster - Ohio

Gettysburg

University of the South - Sewanee- TN

Why I can not just edit the post above I do not know.

I believe you can only edit a post for seven days.

Congratulations to you and your son, JFS, on the news from University of Minnesota- Twin Cities and Grand Valley State (Michigan).

And congratulations to you and your son, Carole, on the news from Drexel. How fun that there is a family connection.

Barb, it's great to hear that your daughter is doing so well. And that she was awarded such wonderful merit aid!

Regards,

Kareni

I believe you can only edit a post for seven days.

Congratulations to you and your son, JFS, on the news from University of Minnesota- Twin Cities and Grand Valley State (Michigan).

And congratulations to you and your son, Carole, on the news from Drexel. How fun that there is a family connection.

Barb, it's great to hear that your daughter is doing so well. And that she was awarded such wonderful merit aid!

Regards,

Kareni

Irony is Grand Valley called ds a couple weeks ago - they had not yet gotten a transcript. DS had decided, since a few other colleges had already ACCEPTED him, not to pursue GV, as it was a back-up school anyway. He TOLD them on the phone that he was no longer interested in applying!

Turns out GV contacted ds's high school counselor and requested the transcripts AFTER the phone call.

I tell ds it must be nice to be really, REALLY wanted by these schools!!!;)

I assume it is the "homeschooled 3 - 8th grade" part that makes him look so good!!!

Dd is applying to seven schools, so far have heard back from two:

*Belhaven, with the highest level merit scholarship like MSPolly's dd, plus an art scholarship. There may be more if she is accepted into their Honors Progm, but don't quote me, as I don't remember.

*Hardin-Simmons (a close-by Baptist college, which would make seminary an easy transition for her). She has been accepted, given their Trustee's scholarship ($11K/year) and invited to apply for the Honors College, which would be more $.

*Biola - pending

*Messiah - pending

*University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (not finished applying)

*Ouachita (not finished applying) should be very close to a full tuition, if sources tell us correctly

* She could also have full tuition at our local UT campus, which is accredited by the NASAD, but they don't have a psych program she is interested in, much less religious studies.

Time will tell! :)

We returned from a weekend away to find a package from Drexel.

DS was accepted into their Pennoni Honors College and named as an A.J. Drexel Scholar --- $17K / yr scholarship. DS is pleased, I'm pleased.

I'm off to read about the Pennoni Honors College.... :)

Carole

We returned from a weekend away to find a package from Drexel.

DS was accepted into their Pennoni Honors College and named as an A.J. Drexel Scholar --- $17K / yr scholarship. DS is pleased, I'm pleased.

I'm off to read about the Pennoni Honors College.... :)

Carole

Congratulations to you and Science Kid, Carole. Job well done!

Jane

My son was accepted to Cornell today, early decision. Phew! It was his number one choice and while we knew it was likely as he is a recruited athlete, it is so cool. We did a financial pre-read and they are going to be very helpful in paying for his education, need-based only as they do not do merit or athletic money.

We homeschooled all along and he had no AP classes, a few on-line honors classes and solid but not amazing ACT scores. No dual enrollment but any of those things would probably help. So moms and dads with kids with a strong EC like a sport, it is worth it. Swimming opened many doors for my son....he was strongly recruited by 2 ivies along with several other schools.

Now we have to figure out what to buy...we live in FL and he lives in shorts and flip-flops!

CONGRATULATIONS!! Cornell is a beautiful campus and so different from FL. DS has that on his wish-list of schools to attend.

I can see lots of Christmas presents under the tree for your ds --- fleece jacket, flannel lined jeans, sweatshirts, gloves & hat......

ENJOY!

Carole

DS received an email from Tulane University --- accepted :)

To date that's:

Tulane University

Rose-Hulman

Drexel w/ scholarship

CO School of Mines

The other schools do not announce merit aid until March, IFFF he gets merit aid.

Still waiting to hear from his safety school (the one that wouldn't send him or us into too much debt and his 4 dream schools...) Those should come in between January and late March.

Carole

DS received an email from Tulane University --- accepted :)

To date that's:

Tulane University

Rose-Hulman

Drexel w/ scholarship

CO School of Mines

The other schools do not announce merit aid until March, IFFF he gets merit aid.

Still waiting to hear from his safety school (the one that wouldn't send him or us into too much debt and his 4 dream schools...) Those should come in between January and late March.

Carole

Congrats to your son, Carole (from a Tulane alum ;))!

First, congrats to Carole & son again! :) The good news rolls on for you! My bil graduated from Tulane and LOVED it; New Orleans is a great place to live. I worked for a while near Tulane back in the 80's.

My dd got her first admissions result today - acceptance to Caltech. She wasn't expecting to hear until Tuesday, so it was a very pleasant surprise. Now to wait to get the financial aid result, which should come soon...

~Kathy

My dd got her first admissions result today - acceptance to Caltech. She wasn't expecting to hear until Tuesday, so it was a very pleasant surprise. Now to wait to get the financial aid result, which should come soon...

~Kathy

Wow! Congratulations to you, Kathy, and your obviously amazing daughter! How exciting to be accepted at this fabulous school!

Jane

Edited by Jane in NC

Thanks --- tell me about Tulane. DS applied because---they have biomolecular engineering, inline skating was mentioned in the brochure they sent us, and the fee was waived. We've never been to New Orleans but we are both curious about this school.... so what should we know about Tulane...

thanks Carole

~Kathy

That's fantastic news! Congratulations to your daughter for some obvious hard work in high school.

Thanks --- tell me about Tulane. DS applied because---they have biomolecular engineering, inline skating was mentioned in the brochure they sent us, and the fee was waived. We've never been to New Orleans but we are both curious about this school.... so what should we know about Tulane...

thanks Carole

Hi Carole,

My husband and I both graduated from Tulane. DH actually got both undergraduate and graduate degrees there for a total of eight years. In fact, DH was born and raised in New Orleans.

Both of us have good memories and still think highly of Tulane. The academics are good; the classes are small or medium and taught almost entirely by full professors. Tulane is a wonderful size: large enough to be diverse and offer a wide range of programs/majors/classes, but small enough for a student to feel comfortable and plugged in.

The BME program has always been an outstanding one. DH was a biology major, and he knew quite a few people in the BME program. Our sense of Tulane's engineer programs is that they are extremely rigorous but excellent.

The city of New Orleans is an important part of the Tulane experience, and one that I really loved. The food, music, and architecture are truly unique and a bit of an education in and of themselves. ;) There is, however, a crime problem in New Orleans (and was when we attended school there in the 1980's). This would not stop me from sending me own child to Tulane, but I would definitely send him or her off making sure that they have to be very safety conscious. Living on campus is quite safe, in our opinion.

Tulane has experienced a positive renaissance since Katrina, and has become extremely service-oriented. Volunteering is now an actual graduation requirement, I believe.

The school has long had a reputation for heavy drinking. I think it goes with the city. This was definitely the case when I attended Tulane, when Louisiana was one of only three states where the legal drinking age was only 18. :001_huh: (Now it is 21.) Drinking was never a huge draw for either DH or myself, and we skated through our years there drinking very, very little. We had friends there who did the same. But we also had friends and acquaintances who seemed to drink like fish. I suppose one could see that at many, many universities.

Carole, what does your son want to do with a BME degree? I know there are many options. :)

Please feel free to e-mail or PM me if we can answer any additional questions. We'd even be happy to talk by phone to you and/or your son if you are interested. :001_smile:

This week dd was admitted to the University of Chicago and to MIT. We have a very happy girl here!

Still waiting on financial aid statements...We should get a couple of them in the mail soon. Dd won't hear results from her other applications till March or April, so we're going to wait till then for decision-making.

~Kathy

Edited by Kathy in Richmond