Menu

Anyone use Mr. Q's Classical Science?

creekmom

We did his life science book last year and are doing earth science this year.

The life science book is free, but it is an ebook so you have to contend with whatever amount of printing you need done. The earth science book (and I think the physics and chemistry books as well) is US$50, and you still have an ebook so you have the same printing issue.

I have a love/hate relationship with ebooks as schoolbooks. I like the flexibility, but prefer books to be in paper format so printing is an issue.

That said, my kids really enjoy his books and I think learn a lot.

with dd6 & dd9. We only started a few weeks ago and have worked through all of unit 1 (ch1-4). They're really enjoying it so far; it's easy for the 9yr old to complete independently so she generally pre-reads the next chapter whilst I help the 6yr old finish off worksheets etc...

So far, it's mainly been review for dd9 so I'm thinking of beefing up the experiments a bit by using Janice VanCleave's "Biology for Every Kid". If we do a unit of Mr Q followed by a week of extra experiments and discussion I think it will work very nicely for the year.

I used the life science book as a supplement last year to our studies. It was fine for a free book, well done, and my son enjoyed his sense of humor. I think it would be very good for elementary children. There were quite a few mistakes (not so much of fact as grammatical and other such errors in the writing) in the later chapters that we covered, but most were well done. Because my son is a middle schooler now, I couldn't justify paying for the other books.

• 1 month later...

We are using Mr. Q's free Earth Science with my 8yo DD. So far, we've been enjoying it. Actually, I switched to it from BFSU due to prep time constraints. It's very user-friendly. Very good foundation. Easy to customise and add content as interest dictates.

IMO starting with Life Science makes sense. Life Science is all around us & our actions and decisions have a greater impact it than on other branches of science so it seems like a logical starting point. Maybe it's my own strong "earth steward" convictions...

We still toss in other random science stuff for exposure - Bill Nye from the library, Owl magazine etc.

I'm planning on using all 4 modules. The printing thing does bother me. I have a http://www.amazon.com/GBC-ProClick-Desktop-Binding-2515650/dp/B00006IAS3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1262263949&sr=8-1 so I print and make booklets. If anything, it's an advantage for me. We are constantly losing books in the house. :o

We started out using it but dropped it after a couple of months. I liked the way it was written, but the font was very hard for me to handle. Eventually we switched to R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey.

Ugh, I just opened one of the chapters from the link the op posted and I see that the font has been changed! It would have been nice if that had happened before we made the switch. *sigh* Oh well, with the cost of printing + the $50 fee for the other books we would probably have switched to R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey next year anyway.

Ugh, I just opened one of the chapters from the link the op posted and I see that the font has been changed!

Yeah, they changed the font after I'd already printed out the whole student book. :glare: We're doing this with a coop, and everyone else has the more readable font. Oh, well - I'm not printing it out again!

We've used the first three units of Life Science so far. I like the content; I love the enthusiasm; I hate the electronic format. We do it on the computer, but I prefer to have a book my kids can curl up with and browse through.

I will likely continue through the whole series for two reasons. First, the experiments use easy-to-find materials and generally seem to be related to the lessons. Second, I can supplement with whatever materials I want. I tend to get worked up about not being able to find or afford the extra books recommended with other programs. This is crazy, of course, but less stress is good.

The books do exactly what I want to do for elementary science: introduce vocabulary and basic concepts, and allow kids to play with science and see it in their lives. So overall I'm really happy with it.

Julie D.