Menu

Opinions on these coats? (LLBean & Land's End)

A few thoughts:

The L. L. Bean coat is more attractive, in my opinion.

The Lands' End coat has a snap-on hood, which I find irritating (the snaps don't always stay snapped). The L. L. Bean description doesn't specify how the hood stays on.

Lands' End has free shipping, and you can take the coat back to your local Sears store if you don't like it.

Lands' End clothes run large, and L. L. Bean run true to size.

All three coats are 650 fill power, so I would think they should all be equally warm.

If you click on details, the LL Bean coat's description states that the hood zips on and off. In my experience, that's even worse. One of my kids had a down coat from Lands End with a zip-off hood and that thing would *not* stay zipped (and this is not a problem specific to Lands End. It was a coil zipper that would just not stay zipped.) I have a LE Squall parka that's about 10 years old with a snap hood. Only rarely have I had to resnap a snap. I leave the hood on full-time. This is a sporty coat though and the snaps are heavy duty.

I do like the colors LL Bean offers better. I LOVE the periwinkle!

I am mostly concerned with warmth--above fashion even :D. The reviews on the coat at LLBean are mixed, so that concerns me. I just want warmth. lol

IME, a coat that that has a drawstring waist is warmer than one without. The two you linked don't appear to have them. I associate these kind of coats with office-workers in NYC (I lived and walked there for 10 years). More urban than rural, IYKWIM. If it is staying toasty when popping in and out of the car at the grocery, these are popular, but when you say warmth above fashion, you may want to get a coat that is designed for real warm. I cannot get warm in these because in order to get my b@@ks covered, the coat is so big a gust comes up from below. They have to be snug to keep that out, and if snug, your dressing options are limited to a thinner layer, like a nice office dress.

Also, back in my day at least, these were dry clean and a pricey dry clean. The tan shows the grub less than a "cute" color. But things may have changed as it is 15 years since I lived in a climate that needed down.