Menu

What is your biggest holiday post pet peeve?

Holiday Post Pet Peeves  

1. 1. Holiday Post Pet Peeves

• The one where we argue about my holiday is better than your holiday.
    • The ones where people ask for the recipe that has been posted 9,627 other times already.
    • The ones mentioning food then breaking rule #27 "Tthou shalt not neglect to leave a recipe."
    • The one detailing all the stuff Oprah isn't getting YOU for Christmas.
    • The one with the holiday decorations war -- do we or don't we?
    • The ones detailing the injuries sustained while holiday shopping.
    • The one saying no big spending, but then spend so much BoA adds a new wing named after you.
    • The obligatory other thread (do tell!)

Mine is probably the ones that tell you that it is not celebrating the meaning of Christmas if you get your kids lots of gifts. Like others here, I am frugal all year. My kids don't get toys just to get toys. At Christmas, I like for their faces to light up amazingly! I don't have a problem with others choosing 3 gifts, but I would like for them not to tell me that I am missing the reason for the season. My family gets it, celebrates it and enjoys it. We also give our kids a ton of little trinkets (and a few bigger) to unwrap.

Greeting threads (i.e. is "Merry Christmas" is is appropriate)

I almost forgot how much I dislike those ones. Where someone complains that saying "Happy Holidays" is offensive to them, but don't care if they offend someone else by saying "Merry Christmas" to them, or think the other person is crazy for finding "Merry Christmas" offensive in the first place

Hey, and this is not a rant, but vaguely on topic so I might as well say it. I was so shocked about all the people who eat take away or lasagne for Christmas dinner! To me, that's so strange! Most of the year is so mundane, it seems very odd to mark Occasions with the same food you eat the rest of the year, or even less elaborate than usual!

GASP!!!!!!!!!! There is *nothing* mundane about MY lasagna..... :tongue_smilie: It is amazing. Truly. :D

Would you mind sharing your lasagna secrets? Because MY lasagna IS mundane.

It's kind of an in-my-head thing (my mom keeps asking me to write it out next time I make it) but the principles of it are:

- whole milk ricotta with egg and chopped fresh herbs (no cottage cheese!)

- a cheese blend of mozarella, feta and fresh grated parmesan

- lasagna noodles must not be overcooked

- generous amount of real italian sausage (no ground beef)

- a really good sauce

Basically the best-best-best ingredients.