Menu

Halloween costume?

What are your thoughts about a 13yo wearing an Adolf Hitler costume to a Halloween party for children ranging from toddler to age 14?

*sigh* Unfortunately, some teenagers seem to glom on to stuff like that for the shock value without having any real understanding of it. :rolleyes:

I would hope the parents didn't know about it or encourage it.

Sadly, the child's mother knew about it and was present at the party (it was for homeschooling families). I don't know whether or not she encouraged the costume choice, but she clearly didn't discourage it or think it was a problem.

I found it tasteless and insensitive beyond words.

What are your thoughts about a 13yo wearing an Adolf Hitler costume to a Halloween party for children ranging from toddler to age 14?

Honestly, I am not sure. I mean my first thought is to be offended, but then again..... kids wear the costume of death, or the scream, or zombies, or other creatures that hurt, kill, maim, etc. They wear costumes of other historical figures whom have committed horrendous acts (maybe not genicide, but murder, acts of war, and other forms of villany). It sometimes freaks me out just to see how many costumes are violent in some way or other. (Probably cuz my kids were always something obscure, or cute and fuzzy, even as they aged.)

To be honest, I know me- I would have walked up to the kid, especially a hsed kid, and asked him about his costume, and what inspired his choice. Not playing devil's advocate (and hey- what about when folks dress up like the devil??) here, but I would have honestly been curious enough to ask.

Other than that, not sure what I think yet.

I can see a kid that age thinking that a Hitler costume would be funny and shocking. Look at the "Hitler rants" going around youtube at the moment--he's always been a figure of mockery as well as evil, and if you're too young to really understand why it's not acceptable, it would be easy to think that it's a fine costume idea. His mom should have stopped him and explained.

I bet in 30 years it will be considered more acceptable, as WWII fades into the far past instead of the recent past and people no longer have such immediate memories of it.

Honestly, I am not sure. I mean my first thought is to be offended, but then again..... kids wear the costume of death, or the scream, or zombies, or other creatures that hurt, kill, maim, etc. They wear costumes of other historical figures whom have committed horrendous acts (maybe not genicide, but murder, acts of war, and other forms of villany). It sometimes freaks me out just to see how many costumes are violent in some way or other.

:iagree:

I asked DH what he thought. He said it was totally inappropriate. When I asked him why, it was because Hitler was an actual person who was directly responsible for the death of actual people. Imagine him trick or treating at a Jewish family's house, especially one that had lost many loved ones. I can see his point.