Menu

Am I the only one whose hair is all over the house, all the time? What do I do???

I am so tired of my long hair gracing the floor, the bed, the stove, the kitchen table, every single shirt and jacket I wear, the kids pajamas, and the seats in the car.

It totally grosses me out. Totally.

It's been going on for years but in my usual fashion I've tried to turn a blind eye because I am overwhelmed by it. It's just there all the time.

I go to other people's houses and cars and they aren't covered with their hair. And while I may not be covered, I find my hair all day long. I actually am accustomed to feeling hair on my short sleeve shirts rubbing my arm and contorting myself to pull it off.

My hair gets all over everything in the laundry.

How do other people (you) keep this from happening? Is there some daily habit I need to develop? Do I need to vacuum and mop all my floors every day?

I want to conquer this monster. Please help.

FTR, I don't have a problem with large amounts of my hair falling out. I'm not going bald or anything. I have a very full head of hair. I always have. I just have a problem with my hair being everywhere.

Thank you. :001_wub:

I shed like a cat in the spring/summer too. :D

I haven't figured out how to keep it off of everything either. :o

I usually feel a hair inside my shirt, and duck down an aisle in the store to fish it out, in front or back LOL, sometimes inside my booKs cover. :D I hardly ever ride in my dh's car, but he always has my hair flying around and getting in his face (loose hairs that are no longer with me, LOL) when he has his windows down. You're not alone.

Cookiemonster,

I have pretty long hair, too, and I tend to find it many places. The bathtub drain :ack2: and the vacuum cleaner roller being two of the most common. My main habit is to wear it up all the time. I really get annoyed with it when it's down (Have you ever caught yours on the little screws that hold on the door jambs? OUCH! Or shut it in a car door? <sigh>), so it's in a bun or a braid all day long. Sometimes I wonder why I actually keep it long except that it's so much easier to take care of - no hair spray, no hair dryer, no expensive products. But anyway, since I usually only comb it out at night and in the morning, I do it over the bathroom sink to catch all the fall-out and make it easy to ball up and put in the trash.

Now, my dd1 wears her hair down almost all the time and we do find it everywhere. But I've figured that it's one of the drawbacks of long hair. Besides, her hair won't get past bra-strap length until she can care for it herself!

HTH!

Mama Anna

This time last year I had hair down to the middle of my back, and I had the same problems you are experiencing. I finally started cutting my hair shorter with each hair cut and now it's at my shoulders. I still lose hair, but it's not so noticeable since it's short. Of course, if you want long hair, this is not a good solution for you. After 6 years I had enough.

I finally started cutting my hair shorter with each hair cut and now it's at my shoulders.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified "long". Mine is just past my shoulders, except for the top layer which is just past my chin. I used to have my hair longer, about to the middle of my back, and I cut it short thinking that would help with the shedding problem. But it doesn't really seem to. I find just as much hair, it's just shorter hair.

Oh, and my favorite "hairstyle" is to schlep my hair into a ponytail. I put it up before I walk out of my bedroom in the morning. I do stlye my hair, but usually just once a week or so.

I am so glad I am not alone! I really thought I was the only one who dealt with this. (Really.) Knowing I'm not makes me feel relieved. (I'm not a freak! Yeah!)

I wish there was a solution to it, though. I honestly do get grossed out by it, especially when trying to eat. Just seeing a stray hair while eating activates my gag reflex and turns my stomach queasy.

When I'm in the shower, I run my fingers through and comb my hair through the shampooing process, and again with conditioning and rinsing. After I get out of the shower I do the same thing with my fingers on my wet hair. I "catch" so much hair that way, I'm always amazed. My brushes always have a lot of hair on them too.

It doesn't eliminate stray hairs here and there, but they're not an overwhelming problem.

Ugh. Me too. My hair really isn't even that long AND I usually have it wadded up in a clip, but it still gets everywhere. Poor dh wanders around with long blond hairs all over his fleeces.

I'm with you on being glad that there are others who deal with this too. I thought I was the only one!

We lived with my in-laws for a time soon after we were married. I used to think that's what was making me yank my hair out (:lol:) but no...it has continued long after we have lived on our own. Save cutting it off, which I'm not willing to do, I just pin mine up in a bear-claw clip and resign myself to picking hair off my sweaters and shirts.

Not long after we left my in-laws my MIL said to me, "We really miss you two, but not your hair!" Heh. Heh. Funny lady.

Doran

Mine's everywhere, too. And now I'm finding The Kid's hair all over as well -- ugh. The strangest place is on the *ceiling* in the shower. Apparently, he does some kind of shampoo commercial "flip" up in the air after he washes his hair, so the ceiling is covered with water drops and hair!

I'm so glad I'm not alone. I even think twice before I bake cookies or goodies to share with other people because I hate the idea of a stray getting into there -- which happens sometimes even though I have my hair up. Blech.

Guess the job at McDonald's is out of the question. ;-)

I leave a trail of hair everywhere I go. The CSI guys would be plucking up strand after strand with tweezers.

I really have no advice, just know you're not alone.

ROFL!!!

Yes, same problem here. I've always lost tons of hair. The vacuum rollers and all tangled up in the dryer are my two faaaaavorite places to find it. And now DD5, whose hair reaches to her lower back, is starting to shed more. It's just great. Plus, my hairs are shiny red, so on poor DH, who is generally covered with them, they are very visible. I tell him I put them there on purpose, so female clients will know he's taken :D