Menu

Is it rude to be home and not hand out candy on Halloween?

It is absolutely not rude. I have lots of neighbors that don't give out candy and lots who do. They are still good nieghbors regardless.

What is rude are the families that I know that are taking their kids trick or treating but do not give out candy themselves. I'm not talking about a single parent who can't be out walking their goblins and home at the same time. I'm talking about families that have 2 people at home but they just are too lazy,stingy,greedy,rude-you pick the adjective. That is what I find rude.

Also rude are the van loads of kids that are not from around here. We are not in an isolated area so mom doesn't have to drive the kids between houses. Our t-o-treating is 2 hrs. I usually run out of juices(Capri Sun juices) within an hour. That covers our neighborhood kids. When I run out of juices, I turn out the lights. There is a parking lot across the street from me. I will see 5-10 cars parked there and numerous other cars following their kids down the streets. People- it. is. just. candy. It doesn't seem fun that way. Maybe it's me and I'm getting old and cranky(older and crankier)

we stay home and do not answer the door.

we turn off all the lights and watch a movie. closed curtains. we move the hose box to block the front door and pull the cars up so the sidewalk is blocked. we have no pumpkins outside to give them any ideas.

our door is dark and it mostly worked last year. We had a few knock but we hope none will this year. We have a scarecrow I may move by the sidewalk and put a sign on it saying go away ;-)

I have noticed all the cars and vans loaded with children over the past few years. I just thought it was because the parents didn't want to walk. It didn't occur to me that it might be because they were trying to hit more neighborhoods and get more candy.

Wow - that's pretty greedy. You can get up early on 11/1 and go buy a ton of candy for a lot less than you're spending on gas!

I have noticed all the cars and vans loaded with children over the past few years. I just thought it was because the parents didn't want to walk. It didn't occur to me that it might be because they were trying to hit more neighborhoods and get more candy.

Now in defense of some of the vans loads, I used to live in a small town and the children from farms in the country came into town, so I am not against that (even though I don't celebrate it), but then the community was so small that everybody knew everybody, so to speak. What I was describing is very different--mostly older children and teenagers out as a group with no parents or just one adult that does not seem to care how the kids race to each house disrespectfully of tromping through gardens, and jumping onto and off porches.

Now in defense of some of the vans loads, I used to live in a small town and the children from farms in the country came into town, so I am not against that (even though I don't celebrate it), but then the community was so small that everybody knew everybody, so to speak. What I was describing is very different--mostly older children and teenagers out as a group with no parents or just one adult that does not seem to care how the kids race to each house disrespectfully of tromping through gardens, and jumping onto and off porches.

I think that if you're old enough to be out without an adult, you're too old for trick-or-treating.

Is it rude to be home and not hand out candy on Halloween?

Uh, yeah, I think it sort-of is. Jmho.

Unless, of course, you are really good at hiding & can truly make it look like you're not home. Then, that would be your Halloween 'trick', just in the spirit of the holiday.

:D

No, it's not rude. Christmas is my favorite. Not everyone believes in the meaning of that, so if I say Merry Christmas to someone and they don't return it, I don't consider them rude. If a family doesn't do Halloween, for whatever reason, then it's not rude. There was one year we were broke and didn't really even have the $$ to go spend $10 on Halloween candy.

I keep the porch light off and do whatever we're doing inside, lights or no. I loathe Halloween. SOOO glad it's almost over, then television programs and public decor can return to normal. UGH.

:iagree:

Georgiana, will you move next door to me and be my best friend. :D

It's unneighborly, and let's down the little children who get all excited dressing up in their costumes and just want to go around the neighborhood for a little "trick of treat" fun.

Bill (who's not surprised one bit )

Hmmm.. putting this and the Sugar Thread together....so people who give invited guests sweets at parties are insensitive and thoughtless, but people who *don't* give children sweets on Halloween are unneighborly and rude....:confused:

Do parents who give groups a hard time about giving their child sugar at a party actually take their children treat or treating for candy?? I would find that to be quite inconsistent.

Hmmm.. putting this and the Sugar Thread together....so people who give invited guests sweets at parties are insensitive and thoughtless, but people who *don't* give children sweets on Halloween are unneighborly and rude....:confused:

Do parents who give groups a hard time about giving their child sugar at a party actually take their children treat or treating for candy?? I would find that to be quite inconsistent.

:leaving:

It's unneighborly, and let's down the little children who get all excited dressing up in their costumes and just want to go around the neighborhood for a little "trick of treat" fun.

Bill (who's not surprised one bit )

Well Bill, certainly you're entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is that it is rude to dress in a witch, ghost, or some sort of other horror costume, then assume you would be welcomed at my front door. And that I would, in fact, reward you with candy.

Now, if I were to be assured that anyone ringing my doorbell for candy would be wearing a costume that I would find appropriate for my children to see, then yes, I would hand out candy. But since that is not possible, I will not. I assume it would be considered MORE rude to have some sort of pre-screening process of costumes before allowing the person to proceed up to my door to recieve candy, right? :D I mean, what should I do, greet the children down at the end of the drive way, and then go 'Pooh bear, you may proceed to the door for candy; child with the bloody head mask, you are not welcome'. That seems much more rude to me than just choosing to leave my porch light off.

I don't see how it's rude for my dh and I to decide what holidays our family will participate in.

Not rude. Halloween participation is not mandatory! :)

In fact, while my kids and I love Halloween and trick or treating, I think those darkened porches help my children learn to respect other people without questioning their motivations. It is really none of our business why some people might be at home and not participating!

I'm in the no, it's not rude camp. I don't know why I should be expected to spend a bunch of money on candy (which we don't normally buy at all), and then have to spend my evening waiting by the door to hand it out. I think it would be even more odd to require me not to spend my evening at home if I'm not handing out candy (where would my family go for the entire evening, since we don't celebrate Halloween?) We leave our porch light off, and in the 9 years we've been in this house, have only had a couple times when someone rang the doorbell.

Isn't there a beginning and end time in most towns? It only lasts a couple hours. In our town usually 6-8. We live in the country (and buy a little candy every year just in case) and no one ever comes out here.

As for someone knocking at 8:30, I would just inform them they needed to be going home now--Trick or Treat is over!

My dh loves to hand out candy. We have never lived in a good neighborhood to do trick or treating. When we moved here I was surprised there was a curfew on trick or treating. Our first year we had two trick or treaters. We soon learned that most kids go to a few select neighborhoods to hit as many houses as possible in the short window they are allowed to be out. Our neighborhood has long driveways and houses are spread out so no visitors.

I personally don't think it's rude to not participate. We were always taught no front porch light on, don't go to the door. We now close the curtains and leave the lights off and buy some candy for ourselves.

Because my son doesn't do well with sugar we pass the candy along, and hand out non-candy gifts to the kids ourselves. Sometimes he even says "no thank you" (which I'll admit is a little strange when your trick or treating, we'll have to figure this out this year).

My son, like most children has a great deal of fun going around visiting the neighbors, getting some oohs and ahhs. And seeing other kids dressed up.

So we don't deny him from participating in the fun because of the candy-factor. As a parent you just have to do your best.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

My son, like most children has a great deal of fun going around visiting the neighbors, getting some oohs and ahhs. And seeing other kids dressed up.

So we don't deny him the fun of parting in the fun because of the candy-factor. As a parent you just have to do your best.

Bill

Interesting -- that is my DS9 to a "T" ------- just wants to 'be in character' and enjoy what everyone else is wearing...he couldn't care less about the candy (which is a good thing).

Leaving now - I have to be tortured again with the most painful re-telling of The Crow and the Pitcher that anyone has ever experienced :banghead:.

"Well Bill, certainly you're entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is that it is rude to dress in a witch, ghost, or some sort of other horror costume, then assume you would be welcomed at my front door. And that I would, in fact, reward you with candy." Well said, Bethany

Rude? :glare: Please.

To each his own (convictions). We are neighborly all year long....and never have participated in Halloween, although my kids continue to play dress up(they are 11 and 12).

Halloween is a pagan high holiday that I refuse to celebrate. I have taught my children the same. Nothing good comes of it....nothing. And plenty of harm has been, and will continue to be, done. When people ask us why we don't celebrate Halloween, we say, "What is there to celebrate?"

That pretty much sums it up for us. We stay home and ignore the knocks. And we certainly don't give candy...I don't even give my own kids candy.

And, hey, I am not a fundamentalist by any stretch of the imagination. I just have strong convictions about participating in the rituals of 'other religions.' I have seen enough of the dark side of the spiritual realm to know better.

I don't think it is rude. Just turn off your porch light. In our neighborhood that means no one will knock on your door.

That said, we pass out treats EVEN though we don't celebrate Halloween. We celebrate Reformation Day. We just see it as an opportunity to simply chit-chat with our neighbors like we do other days of the year.

It is hard for me to articulate this. Our beliefs about Halloween are ours. We don't think the vast majority of Americans are celebrating anything other than a "fun night". We don't villify those who celebrate the holiday. We don't judge them or look down on them. We just figure they do things different then we do.

Passing out treats gives us a wonderful chance to build relationships with the people in our neighborhood. We know them on a first name basis. We ask about their work and how the kids are doing in school. We want them to be our friends. We want to have a close knit neighborhood so when the next meth head tries to set up shop we'll send him packing AGAIN.

I just can't imagine turning off the light and locking the door against friends. That's how WE see it. Giving a small child a rice krispy treat just doesn't compromise my beliefs.

Edited by Daisy

Well, no, it isn't rude. "Rude" would be if someone knocked on your door and you threw it open and shouted, "NO CANDY!" That's rude.

This isn't a question of rude or not. It isn't manners.

If you don't want to give out candy, don't turn on your porch light. If someone comes to the door anyway, you could answer the door and kindly say that you're not giving out candy. Or maybe you could put a sign on the door that says, "Sorry, we aren't doing candy this year."

Ellie, The thought of someone opening up their door on Halloween and shouting "NO CANDY" is so funny. :lol::lol::lol: I agree that it would be really rude to do that. :lol:

I'd be interested to know how many of the kids out trick or treating could give a coherent explanation of the history and meaning of Halloween?

My kids could. We have watched several history channel specials on the history of Halloween. Of course, we're homeschoolers so that might have something to do with it. ;) :D

BTW, we do celebrate Halloween. Some of our fondest memories with the kids have been made on Halloween.

That being said, I do not think it's rude if you choose to not pass out candy. It is your home and that is your right.

I do agree with Spycar though that it does let down the kids that really look forward to it. If you don't have religious convictions against it (which I completely understand if you do) then it would be a nice gesture to participate for the sake of the kiddos.

I don't think it is rude. Just turn off your porch light. In our neighborhood that means no one will knock on your door.

That said, we pass out treats EVEN though we don't celebrate Halloween. We celebrate Reformation Day. We just see it as an opportunity to simply chit-chat with our neighbors like we do other days of the year.

It is hard for me to articulate this. Our beliefs about Halloween are ours. We don't think the vast majority of Americans are celebrating anything other than a "fun night". We don't villify those who celebrate the holiday. We don't judge them or look down on them. We just figure they do things different then we do.

Passing out treats gives us a wonderful chance to build relationships with the people in our neighborhood. We know them on a first name basis. We ask about their work and how the kids are doing in school. We want them to be our friends. We want to have a close knit neighborhood so when the next meth head tries to set up shop we'll send him packing AGAIN.

I just can't imagine turning off the light and locking the door against friends. That's how WE see it. Giving a small child a rice krispy treat just doesn't compromise my beliefs.

Very well stated, Daisy. This part especially stood out to me.

"Passing out treats gives us a wonderful chance to build relationships with the people in our neighborhood. We know them on a first name basis. We ask about their work and how the kids are doing in school. We want them to be our friends. We want to have a close knit neighborhood so when the next meth head tries to set up shop we'll send him packing AGAIN.

I just can't imagine turning off the light and locking the door against friends. That's how WE see it. Giving a small child a rice krispy treat just doesn't compromise my beliefs"

but just want to remind you that it is called TRICK or treating. So you might want to look like you're not home. You know, to avoid the tricks.

Julie (who may or may not have toilet papered homes as a child)

My dh just said " Passing out candy is good insurance" It's easier to pass out candy than to wash the egg off of your house. You know some of those devil costumes are not just pretend. :lol:

But seriously, we pass out candy because I enjoy the time of seeing all of the kids from the neighborhood and meeting some of the neighbors.

I was kinda trying to wrap my brain around that one too.

Really, if we were home, we would give out candy. We don't do the trick-or-treat thing here often, but I've also been known to hand out gospel tracts with candy on a Halloween or two in my day. :001_smile:

I'm trying to get a good feel for the logic behind some of this stuff. There are some definite twists and turns in thinking. People are supposed to be left alone and not expected to celebrate Christmas and not say "Merry Christmas" and all that because of different beliefs. That's cool...I get that completely, though I'll still always wish someone a Merry Christmas with all the blessing behind it. For the people who choose not to celebrate Halloween, I'm kinda thinking (even though they are those bad, bad Christians and all) they should be given the same rights to opt out of a holiday they disagree with and it not be considered rude. Does someone have a rule book they could share with me? This stuff is hard to keep up with!! ;)

In fact, while my kids and I love Halloween and trick or treating, I think those darkened porches help my children learn to respect other people without questioning their motivations. It is really none of our business why some people might be at home and not participating!

I like how this is worded. And thank you for your graciousness and seeing it as a lesson in diversity, boundaries, and respect.

We have this interesting neighbor. He has huge blow-up Halloween display (some that even play music :tongue_smilie:), yet when it comes to Halloween night, he shuts it all down and turns off the lights. It's kinda strange. I feel if we have to put up with his Walmart display (and he does more for Thanksgiving & Christmas :tongue_smilie:) the least he could do is leave out a bowl of Butterfingers. :lol:

We have this interesting neighbor. He has huge blow-up Halloween display (some that even play music :tongue_smilie:), yet when it comes to Halloween night, he shuts it all down and turns off the lights. It's kinda strange. I feel if we have to put up with his Walmart display (and he does more for Thanksgiving & Christmas :tongue_smilie:) the least he could do is leave out a bowl of Butterfingers. :lol:

That's my house last year-lol. Dh had a huge blow up pumpkin with tons of lights in the back yard. Last year, we were trying to be "scary" on Halloween night so we only put on spooky lights and a fog machine. No one came over because they thought we weren't giving stuff out. People probably wondered why we had all of these decorations for weeks and then didn't give stuff out. We were drinking Capri Suns for weeks:glare:

We don't celebrate Halloween and we don't hand out candy. We leave the outside lights off, some years we go downstairs and turn all the lights off upstairs. We still get people knocking on the door even though there is not a single visible light. Other years we do stuff upstairs and some light shows through the curtain. We just ignore the door, eventually they will leave. It's definitely not rude to choose not to participate. The light outside (or at least some halloween decorations) is suppose to be the indicator to whether or not a home is participating. Personally, I think it's rude of the people who knock when you try to make it clear your are not participating.

I'd LOVE to be able to turn off my lights and not hand out candy--not possible in my neighborhood. We literally have kids BUSSED into our neighborhood. Last year, I lost count at 375 kids--kids I don't know and teenagers dressed in jeans and t-shirts with pillowcases to hold all the candy. However, my property is at-risk if I don't hand out candy. And as it turns out, at-risk even if I do. (Two years ago, as I was handing out candy at the front door, two kids broke into my locked garage, stole the radio out of my locked car and helped themselves to two bicycles.) We have to have someone watching the back of our property the entire night.

Am I a fan of Halloween? Absolutely not. It's the one night I hate living in my wonderful historic neigborhood.

It would be like saying someone is rude for not celebrating Christmas, Ramadan, or Chanakah along with those that do.

Is it rude to not hand out candy? Nope.

Is it rude to come begging to someone's door. Yes.

:iagree:

We don't participate and I think it rude that we should be expected to supply treats for the children of strangers. I would never let my children beg from strangers for candy of all things!

I don't think it's rude to not participate, and we'd certainly never knock on the door of people whose porch lights are off.

A few comments have kind of surprised me. I don't see anything wrong with kids going to other neighborhoods to trick-or-treat :confused: . I don't check every person that comes to my door to make sure I know them before I give them candy. Some people live in neighborhoods (like ours) where almost a lot of people keep their porch lights off, so they go to other places where people are celebrating.

I also don't see the problem in both parents going out trick-or-treating with their families. DH and I both want to go out and have fun with our kids...of course, we do leave a bowl of candy on our porch when we leave. We also give out candy before and after we go. Whenever we see people with Halloween decorations and no porch light, I just assume they are out trick-or-treating too.

I also don't consider trick-or-treating "begging" for candy. The people giving the candy are expecting kids to come to their door...it's a tradition, like giving Christmas presents, and not expecting anything in return.

Maybe we've just been lucky, but we've never had any bad experiences on Halloween. It's always been a fun time for our family.

Not rude at all. But if you feel like leaving a bowl of candy out, do it!

We don't give out candy for two reasons: (1) We live on a slightly busier street, and the local kids seem to stick to the quieter streets. Our first year here we had to give away bags of candy after Halloween. (2) We aren't home because we take our kids elsewhere to ToT. But we don't go to other people's neighborhoods, because I would feel guilty about that. Instead we go to a small shopping center where all the stores give out candy (and coupons for parents!), and a historical museum that opens up some of its buildings for trick-or-treating.

I'm kind of a Halloween Grinch though. I hate the really scary costumes worn by adults and teenagers, and the gory displays in yards. They scare the crap out of my littles. :glare: Maybe I'll mellow when they get older and less sensitive, but for now it really irks me.

I also don't consider trick-or-treating "begging" for candy. The people giving the candy are expecting kids to come to their door...it's a tradition, like giving Christmas presents, and not expecting anything in return.

"Beg" simply can mean "to ask for."

Now when I give a gift, I go to the person or send it out to the person. When people, mostly strangers, come to my door asking for something they want from me, that is begging or threatening "trick or treat." Either way...:sad:

Interesting! The only reason I would consider handing out candy is to be neighborly -- because we just moved here this summer. However, we really are dealing with a lot of fear issues and nightmares with my youngest right now, and her seeing scary costumes would not be a good thing. I'll see what dh thinks of the candy on the porch option.

.A few comments have kind of surprised me. I don't see anything wrong with kids going to other neighborhoods to trick-or-treat :confused: . I don't check every person that comes to my door to make sure I know them before I give them candy. Some people live in neighborhoods (like ours) where almost a lot of people keep their porch lights off, so they go to other places where people are celebrating.

I also don't see the problem in both parents going out trick-or-treating with their families. DH and I both want to go out and have fun with our kids...of course, we do leave a bowl of candy on our porch when we leave. We also give out candy before and after we go. Whenever we see people with Halloween decorations and no porch light, I just assume they are out trick-or-treating too.

I mentioned the kids going to other neighborhoods because I know alot of people who time which area starts first so they can hit as many areas as possible. I've seen parents holding LARGE trash bags that the kids will dump their candy baskets into. These kids will knock smaller kids over so they can "get as much as they can". These are the kids who don't say thank you usually. That much candy is not necessary. My kids may go into the next neighborhood(which is walking distance). But I won't drive them all over creation.

I agree that both parents should go trick or treating with their kids if they want. I'm referring to people who stay home with the lights out while the other spouse takes the kids out. Or they come home and then just turn the light out. They don't participate at all except to get candy. I know several families who do this and it's not a money issue. These are the same families that don't want to help with our neighborhood block party but they are first in line for their free hotdogs.

I say we start an inverse halloween. Where we take a bag of candy house to house and leave a piece instead of taking a piece. How awesome would that be?

This reminds me of the day, a few years ago, that we were in the library. A young boy came in with his family. He had a bag of mini Snickers in his hand. He then went around to all the other kids (about 4) in the library and gave them one explaining that it was his birthday. He just wanted to share it with everyone.

Cinder

I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone to a Halloween party or something.

So interesting...... We don't turn off our lights, just the porch light and outside lights, and tape signs to the door and the mailbox "NO trick or Treaters". I don't consider that the least bit rude. Expecially given that no one on our end even bothers to decorate for the fall much less for Halloween. I don't consdier it rude that four of our next door neighbors won't celebrate Christmas in any way, shape or form. Why should anyone expect me to celebrate Halloween?

Only times I thought behavior rude at Halloween:

House with porch lights ON, obviously home, but not answering door (Petes sake just turn off the lights!!!)

WHen I did set out a bowl of candy and someone stole the whole bowl (and it was my best mixing bowl!) while we were only gone 30 minutes to take our kids trick or treating.

and the one time a mom brought her kids to my apartment at 5:00 in the afternoon. I had no lights on, it was still daytime, and it was a row of 5 townhouses that had no kids living in them across from a mall. It's just not the kind of place you go trick or treating!!!! As I was on my way to work as a waitress at time, I had nothing to give.