Menu

Many of you sent wonderful suggestions when I posted a thread about my daughter's illness and asking what the hive mind thought about only reading textbooks for a high school senior.

Well, she has been in the hospital all weekend and we do not have a final diagnosis. I think she is coming home today or tomorrow and we'll have to do some doctor follow ups for a final diagnsis. Everything now indicates fibromyalgia.

I just wanted to let all of you know that the rest of this semester she'll ONLY be reading. I think I'm even going to put Al 2 off until January at least. I'll worry about credits and college in 2010.

Thanks for all replies!

Has Celiac's been ruled out? My cousin had many many problems throughout her childhood. Fibromyalgia was a "default" diagnosis that they worked with for years. She is now in her 30s and a new doctor diagnosed Celiac's Disease. She is on a new diet and since then is a whole new person. This was most likely her only problem since childhood.

Cat

if the diagnosis is fibromyalgia, "From Fatigued to Fantastic". I have found it to be helpful in trying to figure out this illness.

HTH,

Cindy

Link to book at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Fatigued-Fantastic-Jacob-Teitelbaum/dp/1583332898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256737052&sr=8-1

Link to Author's website:

http://endfatigue.com/

FWIW, my dd has had some struggles for about a year now over my impending divorce. She's done okay, but not up to previous years or capabilities. The therapist had some really good advice (at least I found it comforting). His daughter is a therapist with a university health service. She sees many students who have some sort of emotional difficulty or physical illness during college, and says it's much easier when these things can be dealt with during high school--when the child is at home and has a parent on the case.

When they're alone at university, they're pretty much on their own. Plus, he commented, every college application has a line for what challenges you've had to face and how you coped with them. So now you know what the essay topic will be!:001_smile:

In the scheme of life, or even in high school/college, a down year doesn't really matter that much. It's tough to get through that year, but I think it will all "average out". We all hope to do the optimum, but sometimes we have to make peace with the best that's actually available.

Danielle