Menu

If I block someone on Facebook, do they know I've blocked them?

There's someone who's "friends" with my friend via Facebook. If I friend her, this person will obviously be able to connect to me. I'd like to prevent this from happening, but I also don't necessarily want them to know that I've blocked them, KWIM? My intention is not to hurt feelings, just to avoid this particularly irritating person.

Blech. This is why I hate Facebook! But I'm getting such heat from everyone I know for not being on *sigh*

TIA!

They might eventually. I was blocked by someone I know locally who has a lot of the same friends as I do. I had defriended her and so it never occurred to me that she might have blocked me until I was reading on someone else's FB wall and they answered a question that she had apparently asked in the thread. But I could not see her question. It was like they imagined she was there! But several people were responding to her back and forth so I knew there was a conversation with her going on. It was pretty wild. That's when I knew she'd blocked me.

No, if you hide them, they do not know it. They will not even know it if you delete them, unless they go looking through their friends list and notice you are missing.

If you hide them, I'm pretty sure you can still get PM's from them though.

Grrrr! This is totally the kind of person who would PM me trying to find out what I was up to, too.

They might eventually. I was blocked by someone I know locally who has a lot of the same friends as I do. I had defriended her and so it never occurred to me that she might have blocked me until I was reading on someone else's FB wall and they answered a question that she had apparently asked in the thread. But I could not see her question. It was like they imagined she was there! But several people were responding to her back and forth so I knew there was a conversation with her going on. It was pretty wild. That's when I knew she'd blocked me.

Ohh, Kelli! I wouldn't expect you to be engendering such Facebook drama! :D But that's kinda what I expected to hear. Drat. I think I'll just have to suck it up. The worst part is, if this person friends me, they'll then have access to other people whom they will also annoy. There's no safety issue or anything--more like, the voice on the phone that makes your toes curl and your shoulders go up to your ears, KWIM?

If they send you a friend request, just don't confirm it. If you get tired of seeing the message, you can deny it and they will never know. They don't get a message that you "blocked" them.

But then, won't they notice that I'm not on their friend list? Because this person will TOTALLY track me down and ask me why why why???? :glare:

If they send you a friend request, just don't confirm it. If you get tired of seeing the message, you can deny it and they will never know. They don't get a message that you "blocked" them.

You can do this, but they will know. They won't get the confirmation that you accepted their friend request. I did this to a lady in our homeschool group, because I was only friending family and a couple of really close friends. I had just started my page like a day before, and wasn't sure I was going to even keep it. Now she won't look at me, and only speaks to me if I speak to her first.

You can do this, but they will know. They won't get the confirmation that you accepted their friend request. I did this to a lady in our homeschool group, because I was only friending family and a couple of really close friends. I had just started my page like a day before, and wasn't sure I was going to even keep it. Now she won't look at me, and only speaks to me if I speak to her first.

How obnoxious. I send out quarterly announcements that I don't do any of the applications and still I am sure that people are offended with me b/c I don't send them farmville animals or shoot gang members or answer the quiz about which Brittney Spear song I am. I am on fb to stay in touch with people in my life and with friends I left in NY when I moved.

Ohh, Kelli! I wouldn't expect you to be engendering such Facebook drama! :D

Oh, you'd be surprised how much drama ends up in my life whether I want it or not. There was a big family falling out that centered around someone's divorce and people were divided and it became dramatic. It did not help that I did my fair share of emoting in my facebook status box. I'm not particularly proud of that, by the way. My husband and several friends encouraged me to emote elsewhere, in a more private venue. But yes, drama does find me and sometimes I even create it.

I'd just ignore the friend requests and PMs, and have an answer if asked in person. That's what I'm doing for a previous IRL friend. I've ignored her friend requests three times now, but she hasn't asked me about it. Of course, I generally avoid her as much as possible in life so it doesn't have a lot of opportunity to come up.

The next option would be to friend them but "hide" them. You do that by clicking at the top right of one of their status updates. That way, you are their friend but their stuff doesn't show up on your news feed. They'd still see your updates and you'd see their comments directly to you, though.

I make FB more user friendly by hiding all of the applications that my friends play. No one has complained about my lack of commenting on Farmville and Mafia Wars, or the fact that I ignore all requests from those applications.

Ignoring a friend request isn't the same thing as blocking them. Hiding their status updates isn't either. You have to actually block them by their email address for them to not see you at all.

You can block people without them even having contacted you. It's in your privacy settings. You enter their email and they're blocked. I don't know what that looks like on their end, but it'll keep them from seeing you, if I read FB correctly.

Yes. Ignore or refusing friends request is different, but you can preemptively block someone.

However, you should know that once you do, you cannot search for even their public information. It is as if they do not exist to you on fb. In my case, I'm okay with that. ;)

You enter their email and they're blocked.

Or their name.

I don't know what that looks like on their end,

If they search for you, nothing will come up. They'll know you've blocked them if they know you're on Facebook and they know about blocking.

<shrugs> Oh, well.

But then, won't they notice that I'm not on their friend list? Because this person will TOTALLY track me down and ask me why why why???? :glare:

It won't alert them that you "unfriended" them, but if you unfriend them, you will no longer show up on their list. I had someone unfriend me, and I knew someone had, because my number of friends changed by one. It wasn't someone I interacted with a lot, so I didn't realize who it was for awhile and I didn't try to track down who had "ditched" me.

You can "hide" them. My sister does this with some of her dh's nieces and nephews. She doesn't want to read all thier profanity, but she doesn't want to offend them, either. So she just "hides" them, and then doesn't have to deal with it.

You can "hide" them. My sister does this with some of her dh's nieces and nephews. She doesn't want to read all thier profanity, but she doesn't want to offend them, either. So she just "hides" them, and then doesn't have to deal with it.

Hiding is GREAT if you don't want to read a particular person's posts, but it doesn't hide you from their status feed, so they're still reading everything you write -- if that makes sense.

Well at least I know it isn't me since I'm not on Facebook. ;)

:lol: This is the first thing that crosses my mind too, whenever anyone posts stuff like this, no matter how implausible. "Is she referring to ME?!" No, it's someone from my deep, dark past, with whom I just don't care to communicate.

Edited by melissel

Stand firm and just refuse to Facebook.

You know, at this point, I'm very much wishing I had. Then I could just use the blanket "Sorry, I don't do Facebook!" But I do like seeing the photos that a few people post. Otherwise I don't get to see them :(

Thank you all. The person I DO want to friend is my BFF, but I know the annoying person is friends with HER, so there you go. I'll just have to deal, I guess. Fortunately, other family members have left complain-y messages on my wall about how I'm never on and they never hear from me. That can serve as a forewarning to anyone who...might never hear from me!

Not to make things worse for you, but the most annoying people tend to be the ones who want to chat with you most often. It's one of the Murphy's Laws of Facebook.

I just make it look like I am offline all the time. It is an option down in the chat pop up.

Hiding is GREAT if you don't want to read a particular person's posts, but it doesn't hide you from their status feed, so they're still reading everything you write -- if that makes sense.

You can also accept someone's friend request and have it set up that they can only see certain parts of your profile. Some people can see my photos, but no wall posts or status updates. Some can see my basic info, but no personal info, no pictures, no status updates, only what others write on my wall. There are many privacy settings.

Can your BFF do a block or hide or something so that this person cannot see you?

Also, your BFF's dh's bff's dw has also been wanting to "friend" you on fb. LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist!

:lol::lol::lol: Internet, meet my BFF! (I still feel like I'm 12 when I use that term, but it's such a handy acronym. BF always sounds like "boyfriend" to me.)

Nah, don't worry about it. It's really not THAT big a deal; I was just hoping there was some easy solution. Whatever!

And I already friended my BFF's DH's BFF's DW, thankyouverymuch. That's what started this whole thing! I started to friend you too, and then stopped because I realized what I could be stepping into.

• 2 years later...
Guest Gumiho

They won't know unless they viewed your profile again, there are some cases that they would be surprised that the number of friends they have decreased by at least 1 point. Same thing happens if you're the one getting blocked, you'd be unable to view their profiles, yet you can send messages to them in some way. Here's an article that explains more about getting blocked on Facebook. I do hope this helps out.

http://darktips.com/how-to-tell-who-blocked-people-you-me-on-facebook

Yes. Ignore or refusing friends request is different, but you can preemptively block someone.

However, you should know that once you do, you cannot search for even their public information. It is as if they do not exist to you on fb. In my case, I'm okay with that. ;)

You can always UNBLOCK them though, if the need were to come up.

You can block people by going directly to their profile (even if you aren't friends) and there will be a little link on the bottom left that says "report/block". Click on that link and follow the directions.