Menu

Spilling my heart out to you...

I am so glad I have found this board! It's been a long while since I was on TWTM boards, and I really like the new format, and the fact that there is a place just for afterschoolers!

My name is Marita, and I homeschooled my older three children up until last year when I became pregnant with my fourth. I became extremely ill during my pregnancy...much more so than with my other three and I felt I just could not handle homeschooling. Additionally, my father became ill with mesothelioma (lung cancer due to asbestos exposure) which was devestating in the extreme for me.

I had every intention of going back to full-time homeschooling after this year but made a very surprising discovery...we *love* public school! I haven't felt comfortable admitting that to my homeschooling friends. It's like there's a stigma there and we aren't supposed to like it. I felt like they viewed me as "selling out."

But because of my previous homeschooling experience and my absolute love for all things pertaining to learning and education, I feel that my family has a lot to offer our schools. I love being able to be a part of the schools, volunteering and especially getting to work one-on-one with struggling readers. I enjoy seeing a different side to my children, and I have seen such a difference in their overall attitude and character development since starting school. My 10 year old daughter, especially, has just really experienced a surge in personal responsibility. She has really been growing by leaps and bounds. We've enjoyed the things PS has given us a spring board for spiritual discussion. We've had some wonderful heart-to-heart talks that I believe we wouldn't have had if we were still HSing. I have seen her grow in her faith as a result. We all have.

I've been in anguish trying to decide whether or not to HS again next year. I've been struggling so much with the decision. But finding these boards has released me from the guilt of not homeschooling in the traditional sense. I still feel like a homeschooler because of all I do with my kids educationally.

I feel that afterschooling is the perfect blend of the best of both worlds for us and I am excited to be a part of this forum.

Hi! I enjoyed reading your post and hearing a new perspective on ASing. I have a 2nd grader I'm ASing and one entering K in the FAll and a 1yr old. What do you include as part of your ASing? I've not gotten back into the swing of things since the baby was born but we try to do science (my son's first love), math (I don't like the math at school and he's ahead of it anyhow), history (DS asked to start this again and to work on our timeline).

CaptUhura

I really love public school. My kids are learning a lot. I love the community of learners. I even teach in a public school, even though I have a Ph.D. in engineering. For my family, public school is a well thought out decision, not the default mode.

I am glad your public school is working out for you. And I am glad you feel comfortable sharing with us. I am going to try to keep this board more active.