Menu

Looking for DVD based highschool sciences...

Ds will be entering 9th grade next year. We have been using Apologia up till now; ds completes it on his own and has been making fair grades. He needs something with more of a teacher, and I am not the one to fit the bill! I was looking at Apologia's online class thingy, and while it looks good, it's a bit pricey.

I'll be looking at a friend's BJUP DVD's to check them out, but remember that much of BJUP is AP. I like the *sound* of them, but ds did not do well with their history, so I'm not sure.

Any ideas for DVD based science?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.thinkwell.com/

Both of my children either have used or are currently using Thinkwell.

Additionally, think about The Teaching Company. (https://www.teach12.com)

In addition to using Thinkwell's Biology program (which, by the way, is cheaper through the Homeschool Buyers Coop - which is free to join), my son is watching TTC's Biology DVD series on Biology: The Life of Science. Watch for their sales, you can save a lot of money.

Hi Bev, if I remember correctly, one of your kids took a class from Scholars Online in science. Although there are some cons to SO, my dd retained tons from the AP bio class. Did your kids learn as well from the Thinkwell videos?

Yes, my dd did quite well on the AP Bio test (scored a 4). She took the Thinkwell Chemistry course last year and used a textbook I selected with it and TTC Chemistry videos. She took the SAT Chem test and did well and is now dual enrolled and taking Chem I (for science majors, which is somehow different than Chem I for non-science majors :001_huh:). She is maintaining an "A" in the class without having to study overly much. She also did really well on the science portion of the ACT.

Would I recommend SO's science classes, yes, but with conditions. I wouldn't recommend the AP class the way it was done with my dd's class (perhaps they've changed how the class is conducted since?). The class didn't even finish the textbook before the AP test. My dd had to read ahead of the class on her own in order to be prepared for the AP test (which also left very little time for review). I absolutely plan on using them again for science and am currently using them for Literature (American Lit and Western Lit) and Latin II (and have used them for World History, World Lit, and Latin I in the past). I love SO and the people who run it. They do an excellent job and are very easy to work with. The teachers are very good and know their subjects.

Ds will be entering 9th grade next year. We have been using Apologia up till now; ds completes it on his own and has been making fair grades. He needs something with more of a teacher, and I am not the one to fit the bill! I was looking at Apologia's online class thingy, and while it looks good, it's a bit pricey.

I'll be looking at a friend's BJUP DVD's to check them out, but remember that much of BJUP is AP. I like the *sound* of them, but ds did not do well with their history, so I'm not sure.

Any ideas for DVD based science?

Thanks in advance!

You sound exactly like me....started with Apologia, wanted a teacher, moved to BJU, then, well, I came back to Apologia. BJU was a lot of administrative work for me, ridiculous in fact. All of the books took up the whole kitchen table, teacher's editions (3), text, lab book, BJU's book that everything had to be transfered into from work so you can grade it (ugh). Imagine me at 1 am staring at all of the books realizing that I had another step to complete. After that, I welcomed the easiness of Apologia again!

Thanks for these suggestions. I looked at the DIVE CD's and I *really* like them. They are definitely a possibility. I hope to be able to use the Hippo pages to help us finish out this year.

Is Thinkwell secular? It seemed to be from the website.

Please keep idea coming! And your experiences with these currics!