Menu

Your best curriculum finds for your right brained child

GENERAL RESOURCES

- Unicorns Are Real: Right Brained Approach to Learning (Vitale) -- specific diagnostic tests and learning strategies (gr. K-4)

- How to Get Your Child Off Refrigerator and onto Learning (Barnier) -- specific tips for very active, kinetic, challenged learning styles (gr. K-5)

- How They Learn (Tobias) -- overview to learning types

- Every Child Can Succeed (Tobias) -- learning environment strategies (gr. 6-12)

- Right Brained Children in a Left Brained World (Freed) -- specific learning strategies (gr. 6-12)

- Upside Down Brilliance: The Visual Spatial Child (Silverman) -- visual-spatial and auditory-sequential learner descriptions, tips, helps

- 100 Top Picks For Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing The Right Curriculum And Approach For Your Child's Learning Style (Duffy)

MATH

- Miquon

- Math-U-See

- Singapore as supplement for learning/practicing problem solving

- triangle flashcards for math facts (by learning fact families, cuts down to 1/4 the amount of facts to learn!)

- skip counting songs

- Schoolhouse Rock: Math

- math supplement booklets working with geoboards, pattern blocks, cuisenaire rods, etc.

- Key to Math series for specific troublesome math topics, practice, review

- Hands On Equations for visual presentation of algebra "solving for x" concepts

SPELLING

- Megawords

- out loud back and forth spelling practice (from Andrew Pudewa Spelling & the Brain homeschool seminar)

- on whiteboard, build/work with words by syllables, adding endings/prefixes (Sequential Spelling)

- dictate short sentence with 2-3 spelling words in it to practice simultaneous thinking/writing/spelling (Stevenson Blue Spelling Manual)

GRAMMAR

- Winston Basic and Advanced

- Mad Libs

- Grammar Ad Libs

- Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar Rock

- Grammar with a Giggle (gr. 3-6); Giggles in the Middle (gr. 6-8); Chortling Bard (gr. 9-12)

- Comicstrip Grammar (gr. 5-8)

- Take Five Minutes: A History Fact a Day for Editing (gr. 4-6)

WRITING

- Wordsmith Apprentice

- Jump In

- IEW keyword outline technique

- break writing into small "bites" and scatter throughout the day

LITERATURE

- read aloud or books on tape tons of great books (all ages)

- Story Elements (gr. 2-8; by grade) -- gentle intro to literary elements

- Figuratively Speaking (gr. 6-12) -- literary element resource

- Walch Toolbox: Prose & Poetry (gr. 6-12) -- literary element resource

- Garlic Press publishers Discovering Literature series lit. guides (gr. 6-12)

- Lightning Literature & Composition 7 and 8 (gr. 6-9)

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (gr. 7-12)

SCIENCE

- lots of hands on and real books

- Reader's Digest "How ... Works" series, plus TOPS units, kits, etc.

- science videos/DVDs, science shows (Schlessinger Media videos, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Building Big series, Mythbusters, NOVA, etc.)

HISTORY

- colorful, linear or fold-out timeline to visually see connections/distance between people/events

- Yo Millard Fillmore (Cleveland) -- visual book for learning US presidents

- read aloud/discuss together the non-fiction spine/textbook

- historical fiction to flesh out and get a for feel of the times

- films set in the time period studied to flesh out and get a for feel of the times

- history documentaries (library, Netflix, etc.)

GEOGRAPHY

- use lots of maps, globes, geography placemats, etc.

- free online geography games such as http://www.sheppardsoftware.com

- The Kids Fun-Filled Search & Find Geography Book (Tallarico)

- geography songs -- to learn states/capitals

- Yo Sacramento -- visual book for learning states/capitals

- a visual atlas, such as Galloping the Globe

- travel documentaries

- films set in different cultures

- listen to music, make food, place games, etc. from different cultures

- children's picture books of myths of different cultures (myths give you a sense of culture, the illustrations give a sense of the artwork)

CRITICAL THINKING

books:

- Gifted and Talented series (K-4 gr.) -- by Amerikander, or others

- Puzzlemania series (gr. 1-5)

- Hidden Picture Puzzle books

- Critical Thinking Activities in Pattern, Image, Logic (by grade) (Seymour)

- Mindbenders (all ages)

- Perplexors (like Mindbenders) (all ages)

- Dr. Funster Think-A-Minutes (gr. 3-6)

- Dr. Funster's Creative Thinking Puzzlers (gr. 3-6)

- Think-A-Grams, Word Winks; More Word Winks, Plexors, More Plexers

- 10-Minute Critical-Thinking Activities for Englishy (Eaton) -- gr. 5-12

- 10-Minute Critical-Thinking Activities for Algebra (Martin) -- gr. 9-12

software:

- Logic Journey of the Zoombinis (by grade level)

- Revenge of the Logic Spiders (by grade level)

- Crazy Machines series (gr. 3+)

- The Incredible Machine: Even More Contraptions (gr. 3+)

- Operation: Neptune (gr. 3-6)

- Mission: T.H.I.N.K. (gr. 2-6)

games:

- Set

- Duo

- Secret Door

- Blokus

- Scan (old Parker Brothers game, usually available on ebay)

- Clue

- Checkers

- Mastermind

- Amazing Labrynth

- 221 B. Baker Street

- Chess

- Boggle

- Scrabble

- Quarto

- Tetrus

- Risk

- other strategy computer/board games

puzzle pages:

- mazes

- word searches

- Where's Waldo

- search and find type of books

- crosswords, word jumbles, anagrams

- codes, cryptograms

- sudoku puzzles

LOGIC

books

- Dandylion Logic (Logic Countdown gr. 3-4; Logic Liftoff gr. 4-5; Orbiting with Logic gr. 5-7)

- Art of Argument (Larson/Hodge) -- gr. 7-9

- Fallacy Detective; Thinking Toolbox (Bluedorn) -- gr. 7-9

solo logic activities:

- Logix

- Scramble Squares

- Tangrams

- Rush Hour Junior

Edited by Lori D.
added info
  • Like 1

I tried many of Lori D's suggestions over the years and most of them didn't appeal to him, unfortunately. What worked best for him, far as I could tell, were the videos, fantasy literature like Lord of the Rings, books with lots of pictures even through high school, and self teaching materials like Apologia where he didn't have to do a lot of discussion with me which he hated. Saxon was a disaster. Chalkdust was much better for him in that it is not spiral and because he could see the teacher working the problems on the chalkboard. He didn't like hardly any of the writing programs except for Lightning Literature which he tolerated the most. He despised any puzzles or educational songs. But I see the Lori suggested using short dictation sentences using two or three spelling words in them. That would have been terrific. I think WWE would have been great for him with their short lessons and the gradual building of skills over time. Lori's suggestions are great but you have to take in account the personality of the child. Each child, even if he may be a right brain spatial learner, still has his unique thinking style which may be creative, practical, project oriented, attuned to learning foreign languages, or whatever.

For those of you who are teaching a right-brained/visual-spatial learner what have been your best finds? My son is in 6th grade but all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Lisa,

What is in my signature, but especially Right Start math and Classical Writing.

Heather

Thank you for that list LoriD. I appreciate it.

And as Emily said above, not everything works for every student. Our VSL son is mildly "right brained" for most things -- so he's been a bit more flexible in what we could use and more things "worked" for him than would for a more extreme VSL student. DS is more intensely "right brain" when it comes to spelling and writing, and we're STILL struggling through those subject areas in high school. :ack2:

BEST of luck in finding what works for VSL student! Warmly, Lori D.

you have to take in account the personality of the child. Each child, even if he may be a right brain spatial learner, still has his unique thinking style which may be creative, practical, project oriented, attuned to learning foreign languages, or whatever.

Agreed!

Emily, I'd love to know what you found (if anything!) that helped with WRITING in the high school years! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My ds seemed to like the Lightning Literature writing assignments. I only tried two other writing programs, BJU and Wordsmith Apprentice. Both are pretty good, I think. But what seemed to work best for him was to have the assignments be based on whatever literature or history he was reading at that time. And since I am not a very good planner, I didn't do much with that so not much writing happened. That's probably why Heather uses Tapestry of Grace. I've never seen that but it sounds like that the program has the literature and history based assignments. Classical Writing sounds good too but I've never seen that either. I think this works for the right brained/vsl because he can see the relevance of the assignment right in front of him. The writing lesson placed alongside of the history or literature passage it is based on.

DS13, is a visual-spatial learner. This is my first year hs and I've already made some changes. Textbooks certainly didn't work.

Math - Math Mammoth is perfect. We also do Singapore's CWP. We will also be starting with LOF in a week or so. He loved the first lesson he tried!

Reading - Nothing in particular that "works". We read a lot out loud and discuss, using some Garlic Press and Glencoe study guides.

Writing - IEW. DS loves the dvds.

Spelling - Megawords, Spelling Through Morphographs and copywork/dictation.

Science - Oak Meadow, Supercharged Science (kits and e-science program). LOTS of hands-on stuff; doing physical science this year which is perfect for him. He looks forward to science every day. Maybe something like Plato science would also be good for a v/s learner.

History - Oak Meadow - FABULOUS!!! Finally something that works for him. He is not an artsy/crafty kid, but wow, all of the projects really allow him to grasp and enjoy a topic. For history, we use a lot of audiobooks, music recordings and literature. We also use the Teaching Company DVDs. He loved the Ben Hur movie and just told me today that he learns best with videos.

Logic - DS is great at Building Thinking Skills, but that doesn't stop me from using other intro to logic workbooks! He loves board games.

DS enjoys cooking, so that could be used as an entire unit study, if there's an interest. I think Ellen McHenry's (?) The Elements - chemistry - is cooking based.

Good luck!

Here's what's working or has worked for my 9yo:

Math: CLE Math - He *loves* it. It has graphs and illustrations without being over-stimulating and plenty of whitespace. Funny, Math U See did not work for him. I think it's the lack of pictures within the worktext.

Reading: Just about anything with illustrations and/or photographsworks for him. He has found several Winter Promise titles very appealing. He's presently reading on of the "If You Lived.." Series.

Spelling: Bob Jones is working well for him this year.

English/Grammar: The jury's still out on this one as we are only in our second week, but we chose Intermediate Language Lessons together. He said that the pages aren't as busy and it doesn't "overwhelm" him. He has done very well and I'm presently surprised.

Science: He's thriving with Bob Jones.

History: He's also thriving with Our Nation Under God from CLP. I was eavesdropping today when he told his older db that history is his favorite subject. (Music to a mama's ears. :))

All in all, I'd say that what I've learned over the course of his schooling is:

1. Reading aloud must be chosen carefully. I either need to make it very short and sweet, asking questions as we go along and/or have a copy of the text for him to read along with me. Otherwise, he just checks-out. Hence, he does very well reading independently. I try to keep reading aloud strictly to character, devotionals, and Bible readings.
  2. He thrives on maps, illustrations, graphs, photographs etc.... So, I purpose to find sources with the aforementioned.
  3. When I am giving one-on-one instruction, I keep a white-board handy to write or illustrate whatever I can.

My 2 cents,

Edited by angela&4boys

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions (Lori, your list is amazing!). I just got done reading "Right Brained Children in a Left Brained World" and feel a lot of what is contained fits my son to a tee. I tried the spelling recommendation in the book with him and was shocked at his response. I have a child who has a very difficult time with spelling even basic words and I took 4 words (illustration, territory, cartographer, obsolete) wrote them out by syllable in different colored pencils, had him visualize them and then recite back to me. He was able to spell them forwards and then rattled them off backwards effortlessly. This stunned me. He was also able to tell me letter placement when asked and so on. I really need to learn how to teach this child. I think he will thrive with the right curricula so I am very grateful for all the suggestions.

Blessings,

Lisa

Math--Sinapore Math

Grammar--Ruth Heller books, Waldorf-inspired activities such as drawing pictures to go with concepts

Spelling--Spell to Write and Read as I adpated it to my visual learner. We draw pictures to "explain" phonograms and rules and put them in a notebook. I made short clear worksheets out of the "extras" in the WISE guide and she spends time each day writing her words in creative ways.

Lapbooks--these are nice to look at again and again to reinforce concepts learned

Coloring pages, paper dolls, videos, computer games and such that reinforce, introduce or teach concepts.

My VSL learns a lot from video and TV shows.:001_smile:

I tried many of Lori D's suggestions over the years and most of them didn't appeal to him, unfortunately. What worked best for him, far as I could tell, were the videos, fantasy literature like Lord of the Rings, books with lots of pictures even through high school, and self teaching materials like Apologia where he didn't have to do a lot of discussion with me which he hated. Saxon was a disaster. Chalkdust was much better for him in that it is not spiral and because he could see the teacher working the problems on the chalkboard. He didn't like hardly any of the writing programs except for Lightning Literature which he tolerated the most. He despised any puzzles or educational songs. But I see the Lori suggested using short dictation sentences using two or three spelling words in them. That would have been terrific. I think WWE would have been great for him with their short lessons and the gradual building of skills over time. Lori's suggestions are great but you have to take in account the personality of the child. Each child, even if he may be a right brain spatial learner, still has his unique thinking style which may be creative, practical, project oriented, attuned to learning foreign languages, or whatever.

My right-brain child sounds a lot like yours.

Writing With Ease

Classical Writing

Vocabulary Cartoons

Winston Grammar

Calvert Spelling

Times Tales

Triangle Flash Cards

Singapore Math

Life of Fred

Key To series

Manipulatives that show the relationship between fractions, decimals, and percents

Making a timeline

Drive Through History

Here's what's working or has worked for my 9yo:

Math: CLE Math - He *loves* it. It has graphs and illustrations without being over-stimulating and plenty of whitespace. Funny, Math U See did not work for him. I think it's the lack of pictures within the worktext.

Reading: Just about anything with illustrations and/or photographsworks for him. He has found several Winter Promise titles very appealing. He's presently reading on of the "If You Lived.." Series.

Spelling: Bob Jones is working well for him this year.

English/Grammar: The jury's still out on this one as we are only in our second week, but we chose Intermediate Language Lessons together. He said that the pages aren't as busy and it doesn't "overwhelm" him. He has done very well and I'm presently surprised.

Science: He's thriving with Bob Jones.

History: He's also thriving with Our Nation Under God from CLP. I was eavesdropping today when he told his older db that history is his favorite subject. (Music to a mama's ears. :))

All in all, I'd say that what I've learned over the course of his schooling is:

1. Reading aloud must be chosen carefully. I either need to make it very short and sweet, asking questions as we go along and/or have a copy of the text for him to read along with me. Otherwise, he just checks-out. Hence, he does very well reading independently. I try to keep reading aloud strictly to character, devotionals, and Bible readings.

2. He thrives on maps, illustrations, graphs, photographs etc.... So, I purpose to find sources with the aforementioned.

3. When I am giving one-on-one instruction, I keep a white-board handy to write or illustrate whatever I can.

My 2 cents,

Hello,

I have question about reading! I noticed that your ds prefers reading that includes plenty of illustrations or photos. How do/did you get past the point of him only reading PB or easy chapter books?

I ask, as my ds(8yo) is able to read at a sixth grade level(last time I checked), yet the material he regularly chooses, is tons of easy chapter books that have the illus. or photos.

:confused:

Thanks,

Smiles

GENERAL RESOURCES

- Unicorns Are Real: Right Brained Approach to Learning (Vitale) -- specific diagnostic tests and learning strategies (gr. K-4)

- How to Get Your Child Off Refrigerator and onto Learning (Barnier) -- specific tips for very active, kinetic, challenged learning styles (gr. K-5)

- How They Learn (Tobias) -- overview to learning types

- Every Child Can Succeed (Tobias) -- learning environment strategies (gr. 6-12)

- Right Brained Children in a Left Brained World (Freed) -- specific learning strategies (gr. 6-12)

- Upside Down Brilliance: The Visual Spatial Child (Silverman) -- visual-spatial and auditory-sequential learner descriptions, tips, helps

- 100 Top Picks For Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing The Right Curriculum And Approach For Your Child's Learning Style (Duffy)

MATH

- Miquon

- Math-U-See

- Singapore as supplement for learning/practicing problem solving

- triangle flashcards for math facts (by learning fact families, cuts down to 1/4 the amount of facts to learn!)

- skip counting songs

- Schoolhouse Rock: Math

- math supplement booklets working with geoboards, pattern blocks, cuisenaire rods, etc.

- Key to Math series for specific troublesome math topics, practice, review

- Hands On Equations for visual presentation of algebra "solving for x" concepts

SPELLING

- Megawords

- out loud back and forth spelling practice (from Andrew Pudewa Spelling & the Brain homeschool seminar)

- on whiteboard, build/work with words by syllables, adding endings/prefixes (Sequential Spelling)

- dictate short sentence with 2-3 spelling words in it to practice simultaneous thinking/writing/spelling (Stevenson Blue Spelling Manual)

GRAMMAR

- Winston Basic and Advanced

- Mad Libs

- Grammar Ad Libs

- Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar Rock

- Grammar with a Giggle (gr. 3-6); Giggles in the Middle (gr. 6-8); Chortling Bard (gr. 9-12)

- Comicstrip Grammar (gr. 5-8)

- Take Five Minutes: A History Fact a Day for Editing (gr. 4-6)

WRITING

- Wordsmith Apprentice

- Jump In

- IEW keyword outline technique

- break writing into small "bites" and scatter throughout the day

LITERATURE

- read aloud or books on tape tons of great books (all ages)

- Story Elements (gr. 2-8; by grade) -- gentle intro to literary elements

- Figuratively Speaking (gr. 6-12) -- literary element resource

- Walch Toolbox: Prose & Poetry (gr. 6-12) -- literary element resource

- Garlic Press publishers Discovering Literature series lit. guides (gr. 6-12)

- Lightning Literature & Composition 7 and 8 (gr. 6-9)

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (gr. 7-12)

SCIENCE

- lots of hands on and real books

- Reader's Digest "How ... Works" series, plus TOPS units, kits, etc.

- science videos/DVDs, science shows (Schlessinger Media videos, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Building Big series, Mythbusters, NOVA, etc.)

HISTORY

- colorful, linear or fold-out timeline to visually see connections/distance between people/events

- Yo Millard Fillmore (Cleveland) -- visual book for learning US presidents

- read aloud/discuss together the non-fiction spine/textbook

- historical fiction to flesh out and get a for feel of the times

- films set in the time period studied to flesh out and get a for feel of the times

- history documentaries (library, Netflix, etc.)

GEOGRAPHY

- use lots of maps, globes, geography placemats, etc.

- free online geography games such as www.sheppardsoftware.com

- The Kids Fun-Filled Search & Find Geography Book (Tallarico)

- geography songs -- to learn states/capitals

- Yo Sacramento -- visual book for learning states/capitals

- a visual atlas, such as Galloping the Globe

- travel documentaries

- films set in different cultures

- listen to music, make food, place games, etc. from different cultures

- children's picture books of myths of different cultures (myths give you a sense of culture, the illustrations give a sense of the artwork)

CRITICAL THINKING

books:

- Gifted and Talented series (K-4 gr.) -- by Amerikander, or others

- Puzzlemania series (gr. 1-5)

- Hidden Picture Puzzle books

- Critical Thinking Activities in Pattern, Image, Logic (by grade) (Seymour)

- Mindbenders (all ages)

- Perplexors (like Mindbenders) (all ages)

- Dr. Funster Think-A-Minutes (gr. 3-6)

- Dr. Funster's Creative Thinking Puzzlers (gr. 3-6)

- Think-A-Grams, Word Winks; More Word Winks, Plexors, More Plexers

- 10-Minute Critical-Thinking Activities for Englishy (Eaton) -- gr. 5-12

- 10-Minute Critical-Thinking Activities for Algebra (Martin) -- gr. 9-12

software:

- Logic Journey of the Zoombinis (by grade level)

- Revenge of the Logic Spiders (by grade level)

- Crazy Machines series (gr. 3+)

- The Incredible Machine: Even More Contraptions (gr. 3+)

- Operation: Neptune (gr. 3-6)

- Mission: T.H.I.N.K. (gr. 2-6)

games:

- Set

- Duo

- Secret Door

- Blokus

- Scan (old Parker Brothers game, usually available on ebay)

- Clue

- Checkers

- Mastermind

- Amazing Labrynth

- 221 B. Baker Street

- Chess

- Boggle

- Scrabble

- Quarto

- Tetrus

- Risk

- other strategy computer/board games

puzzle pages:

- mazes

- word searches

- Where's Waldo

- search and find type of books

- crosswords, word jumbles, anagrams

- codes, cryptograms

- sudoku puzzles

LOGIC

books

- Dandylion Logic (Logic Countdown gr. 3-4; Logic Liftoff gr. 4-5; Orbiting with Logic gr. 5-7)

- Art of Argument (Larson/Hodge) -- gr. 7-9

- Fallacy Detective; Thinking Toolbox (Bluedorn) -- gr. 7-9

solo logic activities:

- Logix

- Scramble Squares

- Tangrams

- Rush Hour Junior

Lori---You are AWESOME! Thank you, thank you, thank you for typing that all out! I'm not the OP, but I strongly believe that my 6.5 yr old ds is a right brained learner. I will check out these suggestions!!

Hello,

I have question about reading! I noticed that your ds prefers reading that includes plenty of illustrations or photos. How do/did you get past the point of him only reading PB or easy chapter books?

I ask, as my ds(8yo) is able to read at a sixth grade level(last time I checked), yet the material he regularly chooses, is tons of easy chapter books that have the illus. or photos.

:confused:

Thanks,

Smiles

Wow! My ds also much prefers books with a lot of pictures. I never put two and two together until just now.

Wow! My ds also much prefers books with a lot of pictures. I never put two and two together until just now.

This is my son as well. E*en at 11, he only wants to read books with pi*tures and more often than not just likes to look through the books to see the pi*tures. (sorry for the typos - my three year old dumped *offee on my laptop!

This might be a dumb question, but...

is right-brained another description for visual/hands-on learners? and is there a test you can do to find out what type of learner you are?

Yes, visual-spatial or kinesthetic learners would be considered right-brained, while auditory-sequential learners would be considered left-brained.

MEP Math! Not sure what the higher levels are like, but my 1st grader is gulping this stuff up! She calls it color math, because she uses crayons a lot.

Example: Last night, she had to draw "0" ice cream cones in a box, because it was "less than" 1. Typical of her, she asks me to close my eyes and draws a picture. At first I said, "Look carefully." But, she insisted I keep my eyes closed. She drew a picture of a girl whose ice cream fell off her cone; therefore, she had "0" ice creams!

That's a look into my dd's mind, who definitely thinks outside of the box and a look into MEP, which allows her to do so. :)