Menu

Anybody know anything about the DRA (Developmental Reading Assessment)?

Ds6's reading teacher said they used the DRA to assess reading and place the kids in groups. She told me he tested at a level 16, and from what I can tell from the online info I've read, that is around what they should be doing at the end of first grade. I think he is reading at a much higher level than that. He has no fear of big words and is great at decoding them. He takes chapter books up to his room to read in bed, like Boxcar Children and Henry Huggins. Dh will give him articles from the newspaper, or from adult books, and he reads them with no problems. I'm just wondering if I should have his reading assessed independently.

DRA, what nonsense. Personally, try not to take it too seriously. I had this same issue with oldest ds last year. His inital DRA last year (2nd grade) was 18. :confused: I freaked out b/c I knew he was reading higher than a first grade level in 2nd grade. However, after the teacher explained to me how it works, I understood how to help ds improve his results. Basically, the child reads a timed assignment, then has to retell the story back to the teacher. The teacher also may ask some comprehension questions. The grade is based on your child's responses and their oral reading score. The teacher also said a child is graded on reading fluency and expression as well.

I would continue having him read chapter books, but focus more on retelling the story( beginning, middle, end ); and asking some comprehension questions about the setting of the book, characters, plot, and main idea of the story.

HTH :)

Edited by 5ray2006

That's just it. I do ask him comprehension questions, vocabulary questions, and I do have him retell the story. If I haven't read the particular book he's reading, I read it before or after he does, so that I can have him tell me what the story is. I know for a fact that he is reading and comprehending at a much higher level. I think part of the problem may be that, when reading orally, he likes to go back and re-read a sentence or two, so that he can then interpret it correctly in his mind and use the right inflection and emphasis on the words. If the test was timed, this might have caused delays.

The reason I worry about it is the same reason I worry about everything else at this school. The kid is going to be bored out of his mind if he's not being challenged, and he has already displayed some behaviors at school that I can tell are a direct result of having nothing better to do.

Did she give him the test after level 16 or did she stop with that one? Our district changed policies and no longer tests until they determine the individual's instructional level - when the child passes the test for a year above grade level, the teacher stops administering the DRA and places the student in the above grade level group. They won't do anything more than one year above grade level, no matter what the instructional level of the students in the group are. It's more of a social club in first grade than a reading group IMHO, as the books are too simple for them.

If he is in public school and you'd like his real instructional level, send in a written request for an evaluation. That'll put you in line with the psych to have an achievement test done. It is worthwhile to do so if the end result is that he'll be in a reading group closer to his instructional level.

Here's the rubic for comprehension on the DRA:

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/curriculum/PDFs/dra_comp.pdf#search='dra%20literal%20interpretation%20response' They are looking for details and connections to obtain the highest scores, rather than minimal literal responses. This really affects placements in grade 2/3, because many students have never considered theme and others struggle with inference. The child also needs to be familiar with the literary terms in order to answer correctly on the above grade level tests.

Forget about the DRA. It is based on the whole language/balanced literacy crappola. You are on the right track and have "done things right." Remember, SWB says teach your child to read, get them a library card, and use it. For kids like yours , that is all you need to do. If your child was struggling, I'd be giving other advice. They most likely stopped giving your son the test once he reached that level. I personally don't think I'd ask for an evaluation~ your son is reading chapter books in first grade, and they will quickly brand you a 'problem parent,' if you demand an evaluation (IMHO).

If he's reading books like the Boxcar Children at age 6, I wouldn't worry about DRA. We, too, found it placed ds(then 6) lower than his ability. His reading level on the previous testing system the ps used was end of 3rd grade, and the DRA scored him about a grade lower.

You know how he's doing. ;)