Menu

If you use Wheelock's, what pace?

I have been reading all the threads about Henle vs. Wheelock's, as well as reviewing both. I am set on Wheelock's for dd for 9th next year. I am wondering if you have used this, did you do it over two years or more or less. What is acceptable for a credit? Also, which supplements/sites/books did you find most useful. And is there a syllabus or schedule like MP offers for Henle?

TIA! :001_smile:

My daughter's online school spreads the book out over two years. The students spend from one to two weeks on each chapter.

At Patrick Henry College, Wheelock's is covered over the course of one year.

I have found the pronunciation CDs and the vocabulary book (both available through Amazon) to be extremely helpful. We use them almost every day. The workbook is also a wonderful way to practice the material.

My high schoolers take two years to go through Wheelock's. We do one chapter every two weeks, taking time every now and then to review. I like to use the workbook, the Comprhensive Guide, the vocabulary cards, and the audio CDs. We don't use a guide, but I've heard good things about MODG syllabus.

Dd has been doing a chapter a week, but so far the grammar has all been review from Latin Grammar 1. She has been learning some new vocabulary. She's on chapter 7 at the moment. I'm expecting her to slow down once she gets to new material since she isn't highly motivated with Latin. Her goal is to do Latin 1 & 2 for science; she'll do German for 4 years to get her 3-4 year language requireiment. I plan to give her credit for Latin 1 when she's done 20 chapters, and for Latin 2 for the last 20 chapters. She's also doing some study on Roman culture, etc.

I have been reading all the threads about Henle vs. Wheelock's, as well as reviewing both. I am set on Wheelock's for dd for 9th next year. I am wondering if you have used this, did you do it over two years or more or less. What is acceptable for a credit? Also, which supplements/sites/books did you find most useful. And is there a syllabus or schedule like MP offers for Henle?

TIA! :001_smile:

See the official Wheelock's site FAQ for suggestions as to pacing by the editor, Dr. LaFleur. http://www.wheelockslatin.com

He gives different suggestions depending on whether the student is middle school, high school or college level.

See the official Wheelock's site FAQ for suggestions as to pacing by the editor, Dr. LaFleur. http://www.wheelockslatin.com

He gives different suggestions depending on whether the student is middle school, high school or college level.

That was helpful! (I'd been all over that site, but never hit the FAQs apparently.)

In case anyone else is looking for the same info, from the Wheelock's site:

"QUESTION: Can Wheelock's Latin be used to teach high school students?

ANSWER: Yes, this is currently being done at many schools; as a basal text, the book + Workbook are usually covered in two years (roughly equivalent to two college semesters)..."

AND:

"QUESTION: Can Wheelock's Latin be used effectively with middle school students?

ANSWER: We've used WHEELOCK'S LATIN with our 7th-9th-graders with great success: our students cover chapters 1-16 in the 7th, 17-30 in 8th, finish it by November in the 9th and begin the 1st Catilinarian in December..."