Menu

can someone explain "endometrial lining" to me?

I went for an ultrasound on Thursday because I was late for my period.(I was only 2 days late, but I am always on time, just like clockwork) I have never been late in my whole life except when I have been pregnant.

I am 41.

Before I had the U/S, they did a blood test to make sure I wasn't pregnant. It was negative.

She did Transvag U/S and told me everything looked good. I aksed her if my emdometrial lining was thick and she said "Yes, it looks like you are going to start a period".

But now it has been 4 days and still no period. I was doing some reading and I heard that a thickened endometrial lining on the U/S with no period, and not being pregnant, can mean Uterine Cancer.

Is this true?

I know I am 41(42 in a few weeks). So periods could start getting screwy. The last two months I was spotting prior to periods and that was not normal either.

With that said, I had a med change, so my Dr feels it might be that. I am coming off that medication.

I am so worried that it has been a long time since I had my last period, then when it DOES come(or hope it does) it will be awful.

Or is this something more serious?

I asked when nurse called me about preg results, what next? And she just said, "Give it some time".

But even U/S tech said that even if I was pregnant, it would be to early to see on U/S.

So if my endometrial lining is thick, why don't I have my period???

Endometrial lining is a funny thing. I had a very similar situation to you once - had the ultrasound, endometrial lining was thick, no period. Finally, 7 days later, I had the period (boy, was it ever a period too!). My cycles were still wonky, so I ended up having a uterine biopsy (which was normal). If you don't start soon, maybe you could go back and have them do a biopsy. It takes literally just minutes and you will have the results to put your mind at ease within 5-7 days.

Best of luck to you!

Endometrial lining is a funny thing. I had a very similar situation to you once - had the ultrasound, endometrial lining was thick, no period. Finally, 7 days later, I had the period (boy, was it ever a period too!). My cycles were still wonky, so I ended up having a uterine biopsy (which was normal). If you don't start soon, maybe you could go back and have them do a biopsy. It takes literally just minutes and you will have the results to put your mind at ease within 5-7 days.

Best of luck to you!

Okay, maybe the Dr. will call this week then, because he has to look at U/S pictures still. Maybe he will determine I need a biopsy if my period does not come. He just said I could wait a week come back for another preg test.

I never knew that a thickened endo without period could mean Uterine Cancer. Hmmm. I just wish it would come so I did not have to worry so much.

Thanks.

So if my endometrial lining is thick, why don't I have my period???

This happens in pre-menopause. The irregular and heavy bleeding that can happen is because of non-corpus luteum-regulated endometrial build up (because your body is still making estrogen but didn't manage an egg this month) which sheds unpredictably and sometimes heavily.

Menopause is not a plane hitting a cliff wall, it is a plane gliding down for a landing, sometimes in gusty weather. :)

HTH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_luteum

I would not think about cancer if you are only a few days late, not pregnant, and have a thick endometrium. Esp. not if you are 41.

This happens in pre-menopause. The irregular and heavy bleeding that can happen is because of non-corpus luteum-regulated endometrial build up (because your body is still making estrogen but didn't manage an egg this month) which sheds unpredictably and sometimes heavily.

Menopause is not a plane hitting a cliff wall, it is a plane gliding down for a landing, sometimes in gusty weather. :)

HTH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_luteum

I would not think about cancer if you are only a few days late, not pregnant, and have a thick endometrium. Esp. not if you are 41.

That is the funniest analogy about menopause that I have ever heard!!! FWIW, my periods up until last month, came FAITHFULLY every 23-25 days. My LMP was 09/14. So I am 33 days from 09/14 longer if you count the day I was "supposed" to get it . This just abruptly happened.

I did have that med change. Dr still thinks that it was it is due from. Who knows.

And yes, I am only 41, and U/S showed nothing. No cysts, tumors, fibroids, etc.(just thickened endo lining) Had another pelvic exam, normal.Just had pap done, and that was normal. Mammo normal. All NORMAL except Auntie Flo got Alzheimers and somehow forgot to come.

Okay, I was really freaked out over the cancer thing. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

• 4 weeks later...
That is the funniest analogy about menopause that I have ever heard!!! FWIW, my periods up until last month, came FAITHFULLY every 23-25 days.

Wow, my cycles are 23-25 days too and I will be 42 this month. Earlier this year my cycles were running either 21 or 35 days. Now they are back to the 23-25 days. I have to admit to enjoying the 35 day cycles.

Try not to worry unless the doctor gives you something to worry about.:grouphug: