Menu

Math Without Borders (Foerster's)...is there enough teacher support for mom?

I've had my eye on Foerster's for Algebra. If my dd were to use Math Without Borders, would there be enough support for me to help her if she ran into trouble? She is competent in math but nothing dazzling. She is doing BJU 6 right now.

Also, is there a recommended pre-algebra for this series?

Thank you,

Carolyn

My dd is doing Foerster's Algebra 1 currently and we are halfway through the text. I only have the ST,TE, and Solutions Manual. We opted not to use Math Without Borders to save on time. My dd and I our having no trouble understanding the concepts so far. We used Saxon prior to Foersters.

Angela

I'm planning on using this in about another year - where did you get the Solutions Manual? I have the text and TE so far that I got used.

I've had my eye on Foerster's for Algebra. If my dd were to use Math Without Borders, would there be enough support for me to help her if she ran into trouble? She is competent in math but nothing dazzling. She is doing BJU 6 right now.

Also, is there a recommended pre-algebra for this series?

Thank you,

Carolyn

Are you planning on going from BJU 6 to Foerster's Algebra, or are you just planning ahead? Hopefully the latter, you still have two BJU books to go (Fundamentals of Math for 7th, and PreAlgebra for 8th) before algebra! We used BJU through Algebra 1, and were quite happy with it.

I chose Foerster's specifically because the text was so understandable. Each lesson is explained simply and carefully with several worked examples. Both ds and I hate overly wordy texts and Foerster's isn't. We're only in chapter 2 and have only used the text (with odd answers in the back of the book) so far. I can see we'll need the solutions manual shortly. I've also ordered the Math Without Boarders DVD to supplement.

If you're justing finishing BJU 6th grade, you probably want to do a pre-algebra year unless your dc is an exceptionally strong math student. BJU recommends that 7th graders use the pre-algebra text next for average to strong students; they recommend the Fundementals text for kids who need extra practice on basics.

Carolyn, I assume BJU will have a new edition of the pre-algebra out in the fall. The math 7 update is so nice, I'm guessing the pre-algebra will be equally nice.

BTW, have you considered branching out and doing some other stuff like CWP, Math Olympiad, etc. to buy some time? You can get the Math Olympiad books and check into classes offered at Art of Problem Solving.