Menu

2nd page of transcript examples

Well, I have the basic transcript figured out. Now I need some examples of other types of pages people do. We just finished our first quarter of 9th grade and I'm trying to do this as I go, so that I am not scrambling at the end. I'm doing a course description for each course that I will just have. What does a page look like for awards and such. Does anyone have any examples. Also, several of you have talked about writing counselor letters. What are those??

Christine

Honestly at this point, I wouldn't try to put everything into a nice neat package. My dd is a senior, two weeks away from doing some early applications, and I'm STILL playing with the layout of things :)

That said, I *would* document her course descriptions, awards, etc. I have a big file folder where I've kept things for easy reference.

:iagree: What she said! :iagree:

Keep a course listing with the subject, resources used, who the teacher was, the grade received, how it was graded, any any other pertinent info. (I keep these in a folder on the computer. I do an initial pass at the description at the beginning of the year and then tweak it to reflect what actually happened, but I don't actually complete the thing until summer after junior year).

Keep a listing of all volunteer hours. (We do this in a index card box -- my son keeps different cards for different volunteer activities).

Keep a listing of extracurricular activities -- what, when, how your child participated, and positions held (director, fifer, senior patrol leader, etc.) We keep ours going on the computer.

Keep a listing of oddball courses or experiences -- the weekend training for this or that, first aid certification, TeenPact, etc. We keep a listing on the computer.

Keep a listing of books read. (Goodreads and/or facebook is good for this.)

Keep a listing of awards won, certifications achieved, etc.

Keep a list of what your child does during the summer starting the summer after 8th grade. Some colleges do want to know what your child actually did every summer!

++++++++++++++++++

We didn't actually formalize any of this until the summer before senior year. Basically, we didn't decide how we would list certain events (extracurricular or academic), how we would approach describing certain subjects (do we list English 9 or World Lit for what we did in 9th grade?), and myriads of other details until we knew where our kids were actually applying!

Honestly at this point, I wouldn't try to put everything into a nice neat package. My dd is a senior, two weeks away from doing some early applications, and I'm STILL playing with the layout of things :)

That said, I *would* document her course descriptions, awards, etc. I have a big file folder where I've kept things for easy reference.

:iagree:

*Transcripts* do not have course descriptions. They just have semester grades and credit earned. Some high schools send home quarterly reports, but generally, only semester grades go on the actual transcript.

When I operated an umbrella school, none of my grads ever had to supply more than transcripts to the colleges to which they applied. Maybe they were just lucky. :-)