Menu

Resourcing for studying theories evolution, creation and intelligent design

My DD is in Gr. 9 and we are using secular curricula for Math, Science, Geography and History. I'm OK with theory of evolution. I just don't think it should be a done deal. Are there any web resources that present the other theories without mocking others. A different POV and the evidence for that POV.

I saw this http://www.intelligentdesign.org/ and this http://www.answersingenesis.org/ just not sure if they are the standard bearer.

We are Christian, but were not pushing any particular theory. Ultimately to me, God is the Creator.

Any other ideas on the subject most welcome.

I am new to homeschooling and starting with high school. So glad I found this board. I've learnt a lot just lurking... Thanks to all who take their time to post.

We're doing Rainbow Science year 2 this year, and he goes to great lengths to clarify what all the theories really mean scientifically. He has extra discussion topics in the teacher book.

I didn't get any impression of his views in Year 1, but in Year 2 he covers Biology and he states that that is the place that most textbooks begin with evolution theory, so he discusses it. I now think he is a young earth creationist, but he didn't bring that up until it related to the topic being studied.

With all the billions (excuse the pun) of places that push evolution (every museum, national park, nature center, and TV show), it's so nice to have at least one resource on board that opens up additional possibilities.

Anywho.... you might see if someone you know has this textbook (it's one book for both year 1 & 2).

Julie

I think the book by Deborah & Loren Haarsma, Origins: A Reformed Look at Creation, Design and Evolution, is an excellent resource for covering all perspectives. It's written as a group study guide, but contains lists of extra resources at the end of each chapter. Here are also two links related to the book and its resources:

Origins

Origins Resources

I think the book by Deborah & Loren Haarsma, Origins: A Reformed Look at Creation, Design and Evolution, is an excellent resource for covering all perspectives. It's written as a group study guide, but contains lists of extra resources at the end of each chapter. Here are also two links related to the book and its resources:

Origins

Origins Resources

Thank you for posting this. It may not be what the OP is looking for, but I think it is exactly what I am looking for. I have ordered it, and it is on its way to me now. I have a couple of useful books on old-earth creationism but did not feel that I had the necessary framework to use them in a study with my daughter. I personally believe that creation is something on which reasonable Christian minds may differ (in other words, I believe it is wrong to be dogmatic on young-earth versus old-earth, etc.), so I want her to have the resources to make up her own mind and understand the rationale behind opposing viewpoints. Looks like this may do the trick. Thanks again.

Terri

Thanks Faithr, Julie and Phyllis (am in Canada too!). Great resources... Decisions, decisions, decisions. Now I'm leaning towards doing this as a short course. Initially, I was going to treat it as a research project but it might be more fun and illuminating (for both of us) to take a closer look.

Those who've dealt with this before, how it you treat it? As a side note or as an independent topic? Would have been nice to do it as a group, too.

Thanks Faithr, Julie and Phyllis (am in Canada too!). Great resources... Decisions, decisions, decisions. Now I'm leaning towards doing this as a short course. Initially, I was going to treat it as a research project but it might be more fun and illuminating (for both of us) to take a closer look.

Those who've dealt with this before, how it you treat it? As a side note or as an independent topic? Would have been nice to do it as a group, too.

We've really done it as part of our entire homeschool years.

But I know someone who did it as part of their morning devotional, gradually reading through books together.

Julie