Menu

Planning, with adjustments - a question

Hi!

I'm not really a planner by temperament, but it seems like we stay on track better when I plan our lessons beforehand. So I finally bit the bullet last weekend and planned a week's worth of lessons. The kids got sick on Monday and stayed sick all week, and we did no school. This got me thinking, what if they had been only a little bit sick, and we did some of our plan? Do I just rewrite everything we didn't do in my planner for next week? Draw a million arrows? What if they're sick for two days? Draw a bunch of arrows until I run out of planned activities? This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to give up on planning, but I think it would be good if I can figure it out.

Thanks!

Heidi

I can't stand that either, so a few years ago I started using my computer for planning. It's soooooooo much easier to make changes, skipping assignments or adding in sick days, plus I can reuse my lesson plans for multiple children. I recommend Homeschool Tracker Plus or Homeschool Easy Records, but I know there are ladies on here who make their own spreadsheets if you have the time/ability.

I do my lesson planning by subject, over the summer, then I assign the appropriate subject to each child, and print out a weekly checklist. If something comes up, I can easily adjust and reprint if necessary.

I use Homeschool Easy Records, btw, but I think you can get the same result with any homeschool planning software.

I use a very simple Excel spreadsheet that allows me to just bump cells over if we missed anything in a week. I know others swear programs like Homeschool Tracker or the Simply Charlotte Mason Planner (which I personally love as well, but just can't use), but for me, this very simple spreadsheet is what works best.

HTH!

You might check out this online planner (free). It's great in that it creates a daily "to do" list for school work. If you don't get to it, you just don't check it off and it goes on to the next day. It's really works well. Sometimes we don't get to a certain subject, but instead of re-writing and re-figuring, the planner does it for me.

http://www.Homeschoolskedtrack.com

When I planned ds' high school subjects, I did the Day One, Day Two idea a PP uses. I kept a planner for myself with blocks for each day and each subject, just made in Word. I wrote the daily plan on the white board, and he erased it as he finished and then highlighted that in the main planner. I am very visual and needed to be able to see at a glance what we had done, and ds needed a way to feel he had accomplished something!

I plan two weeks at a time using a weekly planner copied front and back. It has blocks to write in for each child and each subject. I fill the blocks in pencil and check them off as each child finishes the assignments. Whatever we don't finish in two weeks gets bumped on to the next planner pages. If we get way off track them I just erase and make changes.

I am a pen and paper sort of gal....arrows drive me nuts...

So, I use TWO planbooks...One for my lesson plans and the other to write in what to do next...

So , for example...DS has 6 main subjects...Math, Literature, Philosophy, Chemistry, Grammar/ Comp and Logic.

We are on day 17 for Logic and day 12 for World Lit and day 15 for math...

NO PROBLEM...

My blank planbook will just get then next days assignments...when he finishes those...I add in his next chunk of work. I keep track like this...

I draw a circle in the corner of the box when I assign the lesson

When he gives it back for checking...I check my circle.

If he has corrections I give it back. If not...I highlight the box and write out his next assignment...When he gives me back a corrected assignment...I highlight the box in my book and assign the new one.

So...I have a book with 180 days worth of lessons...and then each child has a notebook where I write their assignments each night as I check their work.

This has worked like a charm so far!

~~Faithe