Menu

Brain Gym?

Someone left a comment on my blog about Brain Gym. The comment was in connection with my daughters convergence insufficiency issues and our trip to the OT. In fact, perhaps it was one of YOU who made the comment.

I was hoping someone would have more information on the program or some experiences/thoughts about it.

http://www.braingym.org

Thanks!

Brain Gym exercises are excellent, but I doubt if alone they can completely correct convergence insufficiency.

Brain Gym works the visual system with purposeful eye movements and by activating the vestibular system. It also does other things that affect arousal state and cognition (vestibular activities, primarily getting the head out of vertical and crossing midline, do this as well).

You can just buy the teacher manual and try it on your own, or attend a course by one of their certified providers. I intend to attend a course at some point, but haven't yet.

hths,

NCW

I agree with NCW on this. If you decide to try Brain Gym at home, what you want to purchase is the white Teacher's Manual. It has all of the exercises in it along with diagrams. I don't think it lays out a specific program for you, though; you have to pick and choose exercises that you think will be appropriate. I got mine at Barnes and Noble online years ago, but had to wait a very long time for it to arrive. Also check your library for a copy, or ask them to buy it.