Menu

How to Help Fellow Home School Families

Having relationships with individual families where you become friends.

Having a group where homeschooling parents can meet once a month to discuss different homeschool topics. (I belonged to a group like this for many years and it was very helpful to me. It folded when it no longer met the needs of most of the parents). It was in the evenings so that the kids could stay home with the non-homeschooling parent.

I've heard of some homeschooling moms have a Ladies tea for homeschooling moms to come and discuss homeschooling. I'm not sure if they left the kids home or if they played around the edges.

Having a homeschool consignment shop. I am so grateful to my local homeschool store!

We have an amazing support group that I wish I knew about sooner. I have been a part of a couple other groups but this one is different. Along with the monthly meeting for parents to connect(and usually each meeting has a topic) they run great programs for the kids to get involved in and meet other homeschoolers. For example, the science and heritage fair, track& field day, ski lessons, field trips etc. I have also found that those in this group tend to be more rigorous in their schooling. Not necessarily classical but I can not think of a single one of them that is a radical unschooler, whereas one of my other groups 90% of them seem to be unschoolers. This has helped foster more than a few opening conversations. Curriculum choices and style seem to be ice breakers for many in the group to get to know each other(after we all tend to get excited and animated over the choices we have made and are excited about). In my other group the fact you used a curriculum caused people to look at you like you had a third eye, not as a way to meet. The lending library is also a wonderful aspect of it.

I think the city as a whole has really stepped up to make things good for homeschoolers. Many organizations run field trips, and classes geared to homeschoolers.