Menu

How old do you think you look as opposed to how old are you?

I was looking in the mirror last night and thought about this. I seem to be stuck at 26 in my mind, but I am 40. I think I look younger than I did at 35 though because at that time I had a newborn, a toddler and a preschooler:D. I got carded at the grocery store this week,:lol:, and wondered how old I actually looked to the 19yr. old clerk?

If I've been angry, and remind myself of my mother, I think I look older.

If I've had too much salt, I am pretty sure I look older.

But, if I've been eating right, getting a bit of sun, and exercising, I look younger, and usually someone will comment to that respect.

FWIW, I agree, I look younger than when I was exhausted with babies. :iagree:

~Lisa

I am 45 and proud of it, although I think I look older.

I have completely grey hair, although since I started coloring it a few months ago dh said I look 10 years younger....this won him major brownie points.

The autoimmune disease I have , Sjogrens, has really aged me in the last 3 years. It has done a number on my eyes and skin. People tell me I have a wonderful attitude considering what I am up against, but some days the reality that I may never be "well" again really drains me. I have learned that battling something like this is as much mental as it is physical.

People have been willing to believe I am much older than I am because of the ages of my children -- I had kids quite a bit younger than most of my "peers", so it's assumed that I'm their age. I don't know if I actually *look* that old or not.

Since I just lost some weight, I think I look younger than I did a couple of months ago (and because I've been eating such massive quantities of fruits and vegetables, my skin looks better too).

All in all, I think I look roughly my age. If someone doesn't know I have kids (or how old they are) they'll guess younger than if they know about the kids. ;)

People are shocked when they find out that I am 40. So I guess I look younger. Mother is 63 and just now getting grey hair and I think I inherited that :D. I do workout and eat well so I am sure this helps. Now I feel old when I am with my 2 year old in a group of young 30somethings with their 2 year olds or worse the 20somethings that wear their regular clothes after having a baby:001_huh:. It's actually comical how idealistic they are about their babies. Mine were raised on raffi and franklin. Their big thing is baby einstien and dora. I really feel old brining my dd to the same MDO my 15 year old went to and dd has same teachers as ds and they are getting ready to retire.

I have gained A LOT of years (in the mirror) in the past 6 months (dd's kidney issue, my severe depression). However, at the hospital, someone guessed I was "no more than 20." I thought they were crazy. LOL

I would guess I look mid 20's. I don't buy anything to get carded over so I can't use that as a gauge.

Its in our genes though. My mom jokes that my kids (12 and 15) keep ruining it for her because my kids call her Grandma. Most would guess they were just her kids if they'd be quiet!

People tend to assume I'm at least 30--I've got 3 dc, a degree, & (used to have) a house. And, I think it makes them tired to see someone carting around 3 dc, esp pg.

Otoh, when I was pg w #3 (um, & this one, too!), & out w/out my other dc, people always commented on my "1st baby."

So what does that mean? :tongue_smilie:

I am 42 and I look to be closer to 50. I am graying quite a bit and dh does not like for me to color my hair. ("The silver is so pretty." Yeah, yeah, whatever:rolleyes: )

Also, if you look closely at my avatar you will see that the skin around my eyes is very baggy.

I do look really old.

Oh well.

i am 27. people tend to think i am much younger than my actual age however. people think i am babysitting all the time if they see my out with just one or two of my boys.

the other day i was standing less than two feet away from my boys and a woman came over to stand beside them. she asked my oldest "where's your mother?" and he said "right there!" she apologized profusely and insisted she thought i was one of the teens from the swim teen (this was at the gym).

now that i am finally starting to show a bit w/ no. 4 you should see some of the looks i get :confused:

I am 35. Due to my kids ages they think I am 39 to 42. Right now people think I am in my 40s because I haven't dyed my hair yet (I dye my hair but I am way overdue right now) without kids around. I prefer to look younger than older oh well. My own peers have very very young children. I had my children in my early 20's. So all of my friends (oldest son's friends monthers) are in their 40 (early to mid). They assume that I am their age too. When they find out they do not change their attitude towards me (thank goodness). So my kids ages are the factor here in determining my age in most cases. Holly

I'm 41. I think I look about my age when I color my hair. The gray I am getting is very coarse and wiry, and difficult to cover.

My mom always looked a bit younger than her age to me. Unfortunately, :eek: I think I take after my dad's side of the family. He and his sisters all had significant gray and wrinkles by the time they were in their early 40s.

When I was in my late 20s and early 30s with babies and toddlers, I dressed a whole lot frumpier than I do now! I try to dress better than I did back then, so I think that helps.

I'm 36. I think I look and feel about my age, but people often seem surprised. When they see me with my 17yods or 15yodd, they are completely thrown for a loop. I don't usually wear makeup. That and the way I dress may contribute to people thinking I'm younger than I am.

I'm 43, but people are surprised when they find out. I'm not sure if I actually look younger, or it's because I have young kids (6 & 3). I am getting quite a bit of grey, but I'm not planning on coloring it. I have earned every one of them, and will proudly display my crown. Once those take over, I'll probably age quite a bit. Also, I think with my weight loss I'll have a few more wrinkles. But that's fine, I'll live longer and have a better quality of life.

I'm 27, but I know I look about 18. I get the strangest looks from people who see me out with 5 kids and realize that they're mine, and then they tell me I don't look old enough to have that many children, at their ages.

Dh is 33, but he looks around early 20s to me. He has several friends his age who are already thinning on top or going gray, so he looks lots younger than them.

My mom could easily pass for my children's mother (at 46), and my grandmother from my father's side was recently called my mother in public (she's 67). I guess it's good genes. :001_smile:

This has been a topic for me this week - well more how old I feel rather than how old I look. I turned 39 this week. I'm also expecting & due in May. I'm getting worn out very easily & not able to keep up anything close to my usual pace, so I've been wondering how much I'll bounce back after baby arrives.

As for looks - I would say I'm looking 35 now. I tink I look a lot better in the summer w/ a little color in my face & not all bundled up. Winter drains me & makes me lusterless. :)

People are always shocked when I tell them the ages of my kids.....the say,"No way!" ;) I look a lot younger than 41. But I have always looked younger. When dh and I were first married, people were horrified thinking that we were minors.

It really bothers my dh. He actually looks older than his 42. Someone once made a comment about my being his dd. :eek: But with his new job he has lost about 15 lbs and is stress level is going down. He is looking healthier and younger.

I have continually looked younger than my age since becoming an adult. When I was in my 20's, everyone always thought I was about 16. Now that I'm 31, they guess me in my early 20's.

DH is 38, and gets guessed around 25-28...people are always shocked when he tells them about his 20 year old son!

For me it's definately in my genes...my grandma is 73, and looks 55-60...my mom is 53 and looks around 40. I used to hate being guessed so much younger, but now as a few stray gray hairs have started to pop up, I enjoy it! ;)

To quote the immortal Indiana Jones: It's not the age; it's the mileage.

My hair is mostly grey, and I just hate coloring it. I'm vegan and cheap, and have just never found a product with a price I'm willing to pay that fits my ethical standards.

I don't wear make-up, for some of the same reasons but also just because I hate the way it feels on my face.

I'm overweight (and cheap) and not into spending either money or time on clothing.

This has been on my mind lately, actually. I feel like a groundhog just coming up out of my hole to peek around and notice just how dowdy I look compared to most of the other mommies with whom I interact.

Now, I just have to decide whether I care enough about it to invest time and energy (and money) in making any changes.

--Jenny

I'm 27, but I know I look about 18. I get the strangest looks from people who see me out with 5 kids and realize that they're mine, and then they tell me I don't look old enough to have that many children, at their ages.

Dh is 33, but he looks around early 20s to me. He has several friends his age who are already thinning on top or going gray, so he looks lots younger than them.

My mom could easily pass for my children's mother (at 46), and my grandmother from my father's side was recently called my mother in public (she's 67). I guess it's good genes. :001_smile:

My 5th g teacher was "Mrs. H"--so I'm pretty sure you're at least as old as she was 20 years ago! LOL

Hmm... I don't know. The kids do throw people off. DH and I were married young and started having kids young.

I get stuck socially, because other parents *my age* don't quite understand the older kids, and the parents with kids the age of my older children tend to assume we won't relate because I am younger than they are.

How old do I look?

I think I look younger than I did at 35 though because at that time I had a newborn, a toddler and a preschooler:D.

Your comment gives me hope. I've got the pregnancy, the toddler, the preschooler, plus two more. I have felt so haggard this pregnancy, and every time I look in the mirror, I want to just cry. But that certainly won't help appearances, will it? :tongue_smilie:

It doesn't help that the last eight months have been filled with a great deal of worry and anger, and I've developed what I thought at first was a scar between my eyebrows (and I couldn't figure out when I'd been injured!) until I realized it's a Klingon bump from furrowing my brow so much! :eek:

Been working on my attitude. And just hoping that if I hang in there, I'll see some kind of rejuvenation eventually... I don't mind growing older. I embrace that. I just try to keep in mind the saying that before the age of 30, nature is responsible for a person's countenance, and after the age of 30, the person himself is. (I butchered that saying, and probably didn't get the age right, either - but the jist of it being that our attitudes will shape our countenances after years of bearing them. I want to keep mine warm and inviting. Or, more to the point, get it back to being warm and inviting.)

Very interesting thread. I didn't respond to every post, but I read every one, and we have such wonderfully interesting, insightful ladies here. :) I enjoyed it tremendously.

Dy

Honestly, I don't know. I was thinking about this the other day. Today, I turn 34. What is a 34 year old supposed to look like? I know some people think I am younger, as I still get carded, but I feel at least 34 years old, if not older. The pediatrician said today that she would never guess by looking at me that I have five children, not to mention teenagers.

I do have to say that my dad and his family has youthful genes. Everyone thinks that he is my brother, not my father and it was that way with his parents. So maybe I do look younger. Who knows!

People have been willing to believe I am much older than I am because of the ages of my children -- I had kids quite a bit younger than most of my "peers", so it's assumed that I'm their age. I don't know if I actually *look* that old or not.

Since I just lost some weight, I think I look younger than I did a couple of months ago (and because I've been eating such massive quantities of fruits and vegetables, my skin looks better too).

All in all, I think I look roughly my age. If someone doesn't know I have kids (or how old they are) they'll guess younger than if they know about the kids. ;)

Okay, so I said all that, then today a friend said that when she met me (~3 years ago) at a home school park day, she thought I was a nanny! She said she looked at me and rolled her eyes and thought, "Oh, great! Now we've got people who have the *nanny* home schooling!" lol...

I think I look 39 because I know I'm 39.:) Most of my life people have thought I'm older than I am. I've never in my life been carded, even well before I turned 21. I think that was as much about attitude as it was appearances. I think these days most people would guesstimate be to be right around 40 ~ although at times, people claim I look younger. But really, not many folks are going to say to someone, "Golly! You're only 39?! I would've sworn you were older!":tongue_smilie:

I guess I look my age- which is 31. Sometimes people tell me they think I look younger than that, but I think they are just being nice. They usually say I am way too young to have a 13yod, and that I do NOT look like I have 4 kids. I don't know what a mom who has 4 kids is supposed to look like though. :confused:

I am almost 36. I feel (and feel like I look) closer to 40. Most people peg me about right, age-wise, but for years people thought I was much younger than I was.

I have to lose some weight (The excess makes me feel older.) You know how they say that the first 10 pounds and the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose? Can I just say that it sucks to have to lose 20 pounds? That means it's all hard.

LOL, IKWYM. There were always a few girls in high school who just had a more mature look about them, they didn't look "old", KWIM? They could just easily pass as an adult. One time a lady I was working with asked me to guess her age, and I felt really awkward about it- I guessed what I figured was 10 years younger than her real age, but I had actually guessed 1 year older. She didn't look "old" to me, just more mature and I knew she had 2 kids.

Hmm, I dunno. There is a pic of me in my profile. I'm 37. How old do I look?

I'm out in the sun a lot and I squint a lot, so I have wrinkles around my eyes. Aside from sunscreen (I asked about that and got some great replies! Found some Neutrogena SPF 30 that feels ok on my face; my dd likes it too!! Thanks!!) any other anti-wrinkle stuff for around the eyes?

I don't often remember to wear sunglasses; they give me headaches anyway. I hear they can also freak horses out, but mine have never seemed to mind me in sunglasses. :001_cool:

When I read below that you're 31 I was surprised. I assumed you were older, not based on your appearance (I've only looked briefly at one photo of you), and not based on the fact that you have a 13 year old daughter (I didn't know your children's ages). Just something about the demeanor you exude, I s'pose, seems more mature.

I did get carded when I bought cigarettes for my husband not too long ago. It made my day. I'm 40, but I don't think I look 40 :confused:. Maybe it's the hair color, or the attitude, I don't know. I don't feel 40, although I'm not sure what that is "supposed" to feel like.

Maybe I thought I'd feel more mature by now, but I still deal with random bouts of goofiness, and a slice of insecurity once in a while.

I also married an older man, he's 47, so that keeps me feeling younger.

I take that as a complement Colleen. :D

I usually don't have much in common with people "my age"- and tend to get along well with older people Unless people my age or younger are more mature. I really couldn't stand it when I was in my early 20's (or younger- had dd when I was 17) and women in their 30's would discount my advice because I was "too young to know what I was talking about" :rolleyes: