Menu

So I've been asked to make the dip... for 200 people! HELP!

FIL & MIL's 50th anniversary is coming up, and their children & grandchildren are planning a reception at their church. We are expecting 200 guests. My assignment is to make a hot/warm dip to be served with Frito's Scoops. We've bought 6 big bags of Scoops. Is that enough of those, or should we get more? I assume most, but not all, of the guests will eat dip. AND...

I've never made that much of ANY kind of dip, and I've never made ANYTHING really fancy. I need something that looks elegant, but is easy and inexpensive. I make chili cheese dip (cream cheese, canned chili, and shredded cheddar layered in a baking dish) for my family, but that can be expensive, and it's not the type of thing you'd serve for a formal reception. ;)

SIL suggested artichoke dip, but I'm thinking that would be expensive. Crab dip is out for the same reason. I was thinking of some sort of vegetable dip (but not beans): broccoli? corn? spinach? Someone suggested a hot onion dip, but I'm afraid that a lot of people would not care for onion.

Suggestions? Recipes? Remember, I have to make enough to serve 200 people!

Edited by ereks mom

My family loves spinach dip - hot or cold. The cold one is on the Knorr vegetable soup packets (like onion soup packets) or either of them are all over the place if you type spinach dip into a google search. We usually make it in a bread bowl (and then eat all the dip soaked bread as well :001_smile:) but you can just as easily make it in a serving dish of some kind.

I make a hot spinach dip that always gets devoured. You would have to adjust quantities for 200 people though. It is pretty easy although I don't know how expensive it would get. You can also add artichoke hearts if you want but I don't like them so I don't. The recipe here claims 6 servings.

Someone here recommended this site to me a few years ago when I asked for help making lunch for 125. It is very helpful for making meals for 100 or more people.

For 100 people, for "chips and dips," it lists:

8 pounds tortilla chips

PLUS 8 pounds of cheese or cream cheese or cheese log

or6-8 pints (one gallon) thick dips such as salsa, bean dip, guacamole

No offense, but I'm having trouble picturing Frito's Scoops at a formal reception at all. If that is what they assigned you, then I don't think you need to worry about being that formal.

You could make two...one cold and one hot. Here are two that I use often and get rave reviews! If I were you...I would make three or four batches of each in appropriately sized dishes. That way, the dip can be placed in various locations on the food tables. ?? Yes...I think you need more chips. Smiles!!

~Holly

Confetti Salad

Salad

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained

1 can hearts of palm, sliced

1 red pepper, chopped

1 green pepper, chapped

Dressing

1/4 cup olive oil

2 Tbsp. cilantro

6-8 dashes Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. Dijon mustard

dash black pepper

Pour the dressing over combined veggies, mix, chill over night, and dive in – it's colorful and yummy – ENJOY!

========================================================

HOT CORN DIP

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter

2 - 15 oz. cans whole kernel corn, drained

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onions

1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

1/4 cup chopped green onions, both green & white parts

1 jalapeno pepper – seeded & minced

3/4 cup mayonnaise

8 oz. shredded Monterey jack/cheddar cheese

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1. Coat pepper in olive oil and roast/broil them in the oven before chopping. Make sure they are cool before touching or you will burn your fingers.

2. Melt 1T of butter in an iron skillet over medium heat.

3. Add corn, salt, and black pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until the kernels turn light, golden brown. Transfer to a bowl.

4. Melt the remaining 1T of butter in the skillet. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook stirring for two minutes until onions wilt.

5. Add green onions and jalapeno pepper. Cook, stirring until vegetables are softened.

6. Transfer to the bowl with the corn.

7. Add mayonnaise, ½ the cheese, and the cayenne pepper. Mix well. Pour into an 8 inch square dish and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Bake until cheese is bubbly and golden in color. About 10 minutes - 15 minutes.

8. Serve hot with chips or tortilla bread.

Do you have a Costco nearby?

They have all kinds of yummy dips, like spinach-artichoke, cheesy-bean dips, etc. that can be warmed up and are really good. Buy a couple tubs of those, heat them up, put them in a pretty dish, and mark this off of your list of things that are stressing you out!

Good luck!

Are you the sole dip provider? Or are there other people bringing dips as well?

200 svgs seems like a pretty tall order for one family!

If others are contributing, you can probably just get away with tripling or quadrupeling (sp?) any affordable dip recipe; ccq, bean dip, spinach dips, etc.

Are you the sole dip provider? Or are there other people bringing dips as well?

200 svgs seems like a pretty tall order for one family!

If others are contributing, you can probably just get away with tripling or quadrupeling (sp?) any affordable dip recipe; ccq, bean dip, spinach dips, etc.

Two SILs are doing the flowers & decorations & a fruit tray, etc. and one of them did most of the shopping. Another is doing the punch & I forget what else. Dh & I did the invitations, ordered the specially printed napkins, are putting together a picture/video, and will do the dip.