Menu

Have you ever frozen an Apple Crisp???

So, are you gals going to share your apple crisp recipes? (hint, hint)

:D

(We've got a ton of apples sitting here after going apple-picking this weekend. We had apple crisp last night, but I'm curious about other recipes too.)

Any other delicious (and preferably easy) apple recipes to share?

Thanks!

We call them apple crumble here in Australia, but, it is exactly the same as apple crisp.

There are purists who would retch at the thought, but in the US a crisp and a crumble are slightly different. Your crumble is our crisp, but our crumble has rolled oats in the topping, which indeed makes it a little more crumbly than a crisp topping. There are also Apple Bettys and these freeze well. If you want to freeze a cobbler (apples beneath and sweet biscuit on top) I've been told you should bake it covered to make the topping more moist. This makes it withstand re-heating better.

I've never frozen a cobbler (covered or uncovered), but I have frozen an apple buckle. I link a decent looking recipe (although I think their butter is low quality). Looking at this, I think of the play people had with apple dishes: apple cobbler, apple crisp, apple crumble, apple betty, apple buckle. The covered cobbler has another name, which is slipping out of grasp as I type.

Apple Buckle:

http://www.challengedairy.com/recipes/desserts-pies-crisps-and-cobblers/apple-buckle

I love them all, better than any pie on earth.

The covered cobbler has another name, which is slipping out of grasp as I type.

Pandowdy???

I see you are in Pugetopolis -- I grew up on Poverty Rock :glare: but went to grade, jr. and high school in Bellevue all 12 years, and remember a restaurant in Bellevue across from Bellevue Square (when it was an OUTDOOR walking mall) called The Apple Pandowdy. It was near Sturtevant Sports, where I think there is now a multi-bazillion dollar empty high rise that was being built, but construction was halted...

There are purists who would retch at the thought, but in the US a crisp and a crumble are slightly different.... There are also Apple Bettys ...cobbler (apples beneath and sweet biscuit on top) ...apple buckle.... apple cobbler, apple crisp, apple crumble, apple betty, apple buckle.

You KNOW your apple desserts!!! COOL! So many of these are "forgotten" to many people. There are so many neat regional variations on the "humble" apple.

Speaking of apples, have you had your first Honeycrisps of the season yet? We just got them down here where the AC always runs. I'll pay multiple dollars a pound for those --- better than ANY candy! Last year, my Dad sent me 10 pounds of Honeycrisp apples fresh and still dusty via UPS from an orchard up near Maltby (kind of by Flowerland). He boxed them up the same day they were picked. THE BEST!!!

Edited by BikeBookBread

Pandowdy???

Speaking of apples, have you had your first Honeycrisps of the season yet?

I looked in my old book. I was thinking of an Apple Grunt. A pandowdy, or just dowdy, is similar, but I put a bit of molasses in mine. It is a very rural dessert.

I had a Honeycrisp at lunch today. It was fabulous. I also love Pink Ladies, but they aren't as consistent. Some years they are better than others.

Apples are such perfect things! Portable dessert with fiber!

Here is a link to recipe and nice pics of an apple quick bread I often give as a gift. Everyone loves it, just loves it. It is even better the next day.

http://thesockmonk.blogspot.com/2009/05/recipe-raw-apple-bread.html

Here is a link to recipe and nice pics of an apple quick bread I often give as a gift. Everyone loves it, just loves it. It is even better the next day.

http://thesockmonk.blogspot.com/2009/05/recipe-raw-apple-bread.html

Thanks!

This looks really yummy. Apples are one of my newest allergies... unless they are in some way processed. SO, I don't get to really enjoy them raw... So, I'll have to try this so that I can get my share of apple consumption:-)

Carrie