Menu

It feels like October....

:grouphug: I have had a really cruddy week myself. Our 17 yo Aspie has been having huge meltdowns b/c we are his dream killers (he is a senior and wants to plan on going to medical school. For 4 yrs we have patiently explained that it is not a realistic option......I won't even go into how illogical it all is considering he won't do any school work and has about a 50% average for this yr.) Anyway, that the G-rated version of an extremely R-rated week. :tongue_smilie:

I have found immense peace this week in studying the trials of Job and the reflections on it in a book called "In Conversation with God". A couple of thoughts that have carried me through the hrs:

"Shall we receive the good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive the evil?"

"It is at the feet of the Crucified Lord that we will come to an understanding of the true nature of the love that lies in sacrifice. Yet sacrifice is sweet to him who is in love."

"When Simon of Cyrene was picked out of the crowd to help Jesus carry His cross, he did what he was told without enthusiasm. He was forced, writes the Evangelist. The first thing he saw was the cross, just heavy wooden planks. Later on, his thoughts turned from the wood to the condemned prisoner, that very unusual man. It was then that his attitude was transformed. He helped Jesus out of love.....[Jesus is found in our trials and tribulations and if we look for Jesus in the midst, the burden of the Cross is much lighter]........Revitalized by this discovery, we will be able to help our friends to find solace in their tears.......we shall see how we can participate in the work of our Lord by our union with His Cross."

"Marvel at the courage of Mary--at the foot of the cross, in the greatest human sorrow, filled with fortitude......Next to Mary we can well understand how sacrifice is sweet to him who is in love."

"Put before the Lord all of our failures, mistakes, misunderstandings, family problems, headaches and setbacks, sickness and pain......then try not to think about that particular problem any more. We should concentrate our mind in fulfilling whatever is God's Will for us, there where we are......above all, we will seek to love those whom God has placed at our side."

I have found immense peace this week in studying the trials of Job and the reflections on it in a book called "In Conversation with God". A couple of thoughts that have carried me through the hrs:

"Put before the Lord all of our failures, mistakes, misunderstandings, family problems, headaches and setbacks, sickness and pain......then try not to think about that particular problem any more. We should concentrate our mind in fulfilling whatever is God's Will for us, there where we are......above all, we will seek to love those whom God has placed at our side."

Comforting advice. Francis Fernandez, right? I love that series.

I've been feeling like a spoiled brat, complaining all week. I think about now is the week that the reality of schooling for the year sets in, both for the parent and the children. I bet public school teachers feel the same way. There is a great Zits comic that describes exactly how I feel about homeschooling. In it, the spiky haired guy says something like, "School wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the dailiness of it." Here are some others, anyway:

http://www.arcamax.com/zits/s-608734-976165

http://www.arcamax.com/zits/s-614271-350005

http://www.arcamax.com/zits/s-614272-562084

http://www.arcamax.com/zits/s-615506-241568

http://www.arcamax.com/zits/s-616773-679849

http://www.arcamax.com/zits/s-616075-720639

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090824&name=Zits

Hopefully all that made you smile a little.

Can you try to make a few small rituals you can look forward to and place them at intervals throughout the day? And then concentrate on getting to the next one whenever you feel too overwhelmed? Something like going and looking at your favourite comic? One of mine is going out and feeding the birds. When we get busy, these things go by the board, making life much duller and harder. They only take a minute, but they are exendable, so we skip them.

I can't believe how fast and furious life comes when you have teenagers. I keep thinking, does everyone do this? How do they survive? Or do they skip major important bits and just let other people suffer the results? Or are there bits I ought to be skipping and am not? My sister says mothers, almost all mothers, are amazing. She is thinking of the patience with which most mothers address their toddlers at least some of the time, but the same is true of mothers of teenagers. Knowing I'm not the only one just makes me feel inadequate, not comforted, most of the time. I think, what is wrong with me? Everyone else seems to be managing ok. And then a friend gets divorsed and I realize that they aren't managing ok. None of that is any help at all, except possibly to tell you that I sympathize, deeply. I have days when I get out of the car at the grocery store and suddenly realize that I have forgotten to brush my hair that morning.

Just keep breathing and doing the next thing. And complain here and we'll send you hugs. Don't go away, ok? I find you very helpful. Just what you need, right? More people needing you and leaning on you. Sorry!

Hugs, anyway.

-Nan

I'm sitting here in public doing math - actually I'm waiting for a kid. But I'm doing math while I wait. (How could I have forgotten all about synthetic division? But it's just what I need right now.... mindlessly factoring using the Rational Zeros Theorem. It feels so good to be doing something easy. :001_smile: And I'm doing just one thing.... that's all I brought in my bag... except this laptop... which is why I'm not doing math..... BUT I knew enough not to bring "open-ended" work; I wanted something concrete to work on.:001_smile:)

Anyway, I'm trying not to cry in public. Thank YOU for your kind words. YOU GUYS MEAN SOOOOOOO MUCH TO ME! I respect you all so much. And who would have thought? I'm not bonkers! I'm in good company. Healthy, strong company.

Thanks for the cyber hugs!

And thanks for the comics, Nan. Why didn't I think of that? It felt so good to smile over nothing! :001_smile: Guess I should stop stressing over nothing, huh?

Jane - I KNOW, I know. I'm starting to preview that feeling. So I guess I'm previewing your pain too. Owie!

Colleen, you rock! Thanks, girlfriend! ;)

And "Momof7", hang tight, my sister. You and your young man will be in my prayers. Just be you. Just keep being wonderful you.

I'm off to enjoy the world of numbers for another 30 minutes.

It's so easy there.

Just move the pencil until the brain starts to see something interesting. Watching it slide toward me as my pencil scribbles forward to meet it.

I wish all answers were found so easily.

YOU ARE ALL THE BEST!!!!!

Grace and peace to you all this afternoon,

Janice