What's with the ads?

Photo

How do I control static electricity in my house?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Cathy in IL

Cathy in IL

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

This house is really dry, and I am guessing that is why we have a real problem with static electricity. It is so bad that I can't even hug or kiss my girls at night without giving them a shock. If the lights are out, you can actually see flashes of light when I touch my kids or when the move around under the covers. It is worst in my dd's room. I have tried humidifiers, but they don't seem to be working. Is there anything else that could cause this or anything I can do to stop it?

#2 Susan in IL

Susan in IL

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

Do you have a humidifier on your furnace or just in one room? We have one on the furnace and I can always tell when it is time to turn it on, I start itching. I am not sure that smaller ones can handle the whole house.

#3 Cathy in IL

Cathy in IL

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:59 PM

I have two upstairs. I will look into one for the furnace. It is a really old furnace, so I wonder if that will matter. This house was built in about 1890.

#4 Hillary in KS

Hillary in KS

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

I've boiled/simmered a pot of water on the stove for an hour or so. (Just don't leave it unattended!)

Or you could fill a crock-pot with water, and leave it uncovered on High for a few hours. That ususally helps here.

:)

#5 readwithem

readwithem

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2230 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:03 AM

Not sure about the house (sounds like you could have cool science experiments :) but if you walk barefoot in the house, that will help with the touching as your shoes conduct electricity. Also I think I remember reading that wearing clothes of natural fibers (cotton or linen vs. polyester) may help.

#6 Linda...inOwasso

Linda...inOwasso

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:55 AM

We're having a terrible time with it this year too! My dd's hair, clothes and such. Sounds like you've got it worse though.... so sorry!! Good luck!