Menu

Teen Missions

The son of a friend of mine went on several trips with them in high school. They were very happy with the organization and felt that the students were supervised enough. The mom did have to go to Walmart for another outfit as whatever she was wearing when they dropped their son off (and went in the camp with him) wasn't conservative enough for the place's dress code. And my friend does dress modestly.

Is anyone familiar with Teen Missions International? I have been thinking that this might be a good experience for my teen boys. Have your experiences been good overall, would you recommend it?

I went to Germany on a TMI team in the late 80's We had really great leaders and the whole experience was something I'll never forget. The TMI motto was (maybe still is?) "We're not building buildings, we're building teens." So even though many of the teams complete work and/or mission projects while they are there, it's really about the change that occurs in the teens themselves. If my husband was on board with short-term missions kind of things I'd consider sending my own teen on a TMI team.

My daughter went in 2007 on a pre-teen mission to Belize. She was 12 but turned 13 the last day. My son went in 2008 on a pre-teen mission but stayed in Florida. He was 11 years old. I went in 1985 to Venezula. I was in college but went as a "teen" missionary instead of a leader. My daughter who went in 2007 wants to go again in 2010 to Germany on the "teen" missions team.

It is rough the first two weeks because it is "boot camp". Once they are on the "field" it gets alittle easier because they don't have to do the obstacle course every morning.

I would recommend TM to anyone looking for a mission group for a teenager or preteen. If you have any questions PM me and I will try to answer any questions you may have.