Menu

Free Apologia Lesson Plans vs MFW plans

afruitfulbranch

Hello,

What would be the advantage of the MFW Apologia General Science Lesson plans? There are several free plans out there. I've used a Donna Young schedule with my older 3 to get them going until they were on their own schedule. However, I see that my next 2 children need a written up schedule in front of them. I was just going to print my old schedule but it sounds to me from other posts that MFW has plans that are more specific.

Does anyone know if the MFW schedule is more detailed than the Donna Young plans which have:

• Pages to read, experiments to do, or questions to answer each day
  • Bookmarks with vocab words, checkboxes for dailywork, and space for few notes.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the MFW schedule is more detailed than the Donna Young plans which have:

• Pages to read, experiments to do, or questions to answer each day

• Bookmarks with vocab words, checkboxes for dailywork, and space for few notes.

MFW lesson plans include all that. The basic format is like this:

- "How to use" pages

- Master supply list for the year

- Page to record test scores

- Module 1: lab supplies for that module, then:

- Day 1, lists page #'s to read, vocab words, listening instructions, On Your Own, Experiment, when to refer to the CD

And so on until you reach Day 8. These are scheduled assuming a 4-day week, so two weeks per module, with the exception of a few modules that take longer. Also includes when to do the Study Guide and module test. Plenty of white space for adding notes if needed.

My dd does this independently. Her dad will help her with experiments if she asks him to, but she does them on her own sometimes. I give her the tests and go over them with her. (She lets me know when it's test time.)

CD? Is there a CD included with the lesson plans? or do you mean the apologia CD. I only bought a companion CD once but we never really used it.

Yes, the companion CD. It has vocabulary (proper pronunciation) and demonstrations on it. It's not included *with* the lesson plans, but MFW does sell it as an optional item.

And, not sold by MFW, but there's another CD that contains the book itself. I've not seen it, but I *think* you have to read it off the screen if you get that.

There's also an audio CD on MP3 which will read the book TO your student. I'd consider getting this if we traveled a lot (dd gets sick reading in the van), or if I had a child who struggled with reading or just needed to "hear" it for some reason.