Menu

Looking for an astronomy textbook?

I came across this review and thought it useful for those looking for secular astronomy textbooks. I always find astronomy clubs to have their heads on fairly straight when it comes to selecting books for their members--that is why I'm positng this. I don't know these folks, but what they say compared to what I know makes sense. So here it is:

http://www.sjaa.net/eph/0408/c.html

I've watched the Filippenko tapes--he is entertaining; I can't image his text being any less so.

Astronomy Today (Chaisson) has been used by folks on this board before and comes well-recommended. I'm sure it covers the topic thoroughly--but may be more than some of you want. Someday I'll get my hands on it.

Fraknoi's Voyages to the Stars and Galaxies, although I've not read it, I can imagine that a number of my astronomy club members would go for this one--wanting some extra understanding and knowledge without having it over one's head.

I am currently reading Horizons: Exploring the Universe by Seeds. My dd works in the textbook center of her university, and it was being discarded for a newer edition, so she brought it home. I'm not into it far enough for a final analysis, but the 1st 4 chapters have been decent. I can say more when I get a bit further.

Just tossing out some ideas for you!

Happy Harvest Moon!

Jean

Thanks for the link, Jean. I enjoyed the review article.

Do you have inter-library loan available to you? That might be a way to get a free or low cost copy of the Chaisson book into your hot little hands!

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, inter-library loan sounds like a good idea. The problem is that I have about 3 dozen other astronomy books piled throughout the house--all half read. :lol:

Our public library has a poor supply of astronomy materials--I really had not thought of ILL. (As an x-librarian, I should hang my head in shame--it is no doubt due to they way I read these books: 500 at a time in various stages...)

Jean