What's with the ads?

Photo

APUSH in 9th gr. Any experience?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 AngelaG

AngelaG

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1184 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

Dd will talke APUSH with PA Homeschoolers in 9th grade. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is their a teacher that you would recommend? Thank you, Angela

#2 SS in MD

SS in MD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:06 AM

While our dd has not taken the AP US course thru' PA Homeschoolers herself, good friends of ours have. The absolutely love Susan Richman's class. They said her class was excellent, lots of work, but worth the effort and they learned a lot. BTW - (her friends took the class in 10th) HTH

#3 Sandra in NC

Sandra in NC

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:13 AM

While our dd has not taken the AP US course thru' PA Homeschoolers herself, good friends of ours have. The absolutely love Susan Richman's class. They said her class was excellent, lots of work, but worth the effort and they learned a lot. BTW - (her friends took the class in 10th) HTH

My son took this course in 9th grade. Susan Richman is an excellent teacher! I highly recommend the course.

The one shortcoming of the course is a lack of practice handwriting essays. My son is an excellent typist and had no problem with the essays she assigned. The actual AP exam was a different story. It was the first time he had had to write and essay with pen and paper! I didn't realize he wouldn't know how to edit handwritten work. Too, he is a very slow writer. He ended up scoring a 3 on the AP when all predictions were for a 5.

The next year, he took AP US Govt with PA homeschoolers and the instructor required the essays to be timed and handwritten. My son scored a 4 on that AP. (He actually learned more and enjoyed Susan Richman's class better.)

Now that we are looking at colleges, I am kicking myself for not knowing about CLEP earlier. I wish my son had taken the CLEP as well as the AP in US History because most of the schools we're looking at would give credit for a "C" on CLEP, but they require a "B" or 4 on the AP. I'm sure my son would have aced a multiple-choice-only exam.

Lesson learned a little too late, but I hope it helps someone else.....

#4 at the beach

at the beach

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:27 AM

My son took this course in 9th grade. Susan Richman is an excellent teacher! I highly recommend the course.

The one shortcoming of the course is a lack of practice handwriting essays. My son is an excellent typist and had no problem with the essays she assigned. The actual AP exam was a different story. It was the first time he had had to write and essay with pen and paper! I didn't realize he wouldn't know how to edit handwritten work. Too, he is a very slow writer. He ended up scoring a 3 on the AP when all predictions were for a 5.

The next year, he took AP US Govt with PA homeschoolers and the instructor required the essays to be timed and handwritten. My son scored a 4 on that AP. (He actually learned more and enjoyed Susan Richman's class better.)

Now that we are looking at colleges, I am kicking myself for not knowing about CLEP earlier. I wish my son had taken the CLEP as well as the AP in US History because most of the schools we're looking at would give credit for a "C" on CLEP, but they require a "B" or 4 on the AP. I'm sure my son would have aced a multiple-choice-only exam.

Lesson learned a little too late, but I hope it helps someone else.....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on CLEP. :001_smile: I plan to have my dd 13 study US History next year, and I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have her take a CLEP test even if just to document that she has covered the subject and get her some practice with testing. For 9th, I am planning for her to take AP US Gov as her first AP class. I have heard it's a good one to start a 9th grader with and that it is easier than APUSH.

#5 Hoggirl

Hoggirl

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4268 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on CLEP. :001_smile: I plan to have my dd 13 study US History next year, and I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have her take a CLEP test even if just to document that she has covered the subject and get her some practice with testing. For 9th, I am planning for her to take AP US Gov as her first AP class. I have heard it's a good one to start a 9th grader with and that it is easier than APUSH.

I am assuming your dd will be an 8th grader next year. I don't know the answer to my own question, but I didn't know how long a CLEP test was good for?? I had in the back of my mind five years, but I do NOT know.

ETA: Sorry - did not mean to hijack.

#6 at the beach

at the beach

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

I am assuming your dd will be an 8th grader next year. I don't know the answer to my own question, but I didn't know how long a CLEP test was good for?? I had in the back of my mind five years, but I do NOT know.

That's a good question. I have no idea. I was only thinking about it to document that we had done the work as homeschoolers. I've actually heard of even younger kids taking CLEP tests. I'd just like the outside verification of what we're doing. I do know that 8th graders in our local schools can choose to have some of their 8th grade courses count for high school credits.

#7 Kareni

Kareni

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10437 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

My daughter took AP US History in an out of the home class as a 10th grader. It was her first AP course. Is your child a good reader? In my daughter's class, they used the textbook The American Pageant which they read in its entirety (all 1000 plus pages!). My daughter scored a four which we were very pleased with. She also took the SAT subject test in American History after finishing the course and scored in the high 700s. That might be an option to consider in lieu of the CLEP test especially if your child will be applying to colleges that require a number of SAT subject test scores.

While my daughter did not take it, I've heard that the AP Human Geography test is one of the easier AP courses. It might be a very good first AP class for a ninth grader.

Regards,
kareni

#8 Sandra in NC

Sandra in NC

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:50 PM

CLEP scores are good for 20 years. I've heard that some schools do not accept CLEP taken prior to 8th grade, but many do.

Edited by Sandra in NC, 29 January 2010 - 03:52 PM.

#9 LynnG in Arizona

LynnG in Arizona

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

My daughter is currently taking the APUSH class with Mrs. Richman. It is an excellent class, but also one that is very rigorous. Very rigorous.

I personally would recommend waiting until the junior year to take the class. Possibly sophomore year, if your daughter is a good writer/reader and is self-motivated. But unless you have a really compelling reason for her to take APUSH in 9th grade, I would wait. :)

#10 SS in MD

SS in MD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

What PA Homeschoolers AP classes would you all recommend for a 9th grader?? I'd like dd to try an AP class to get her feet wet with an AP level course and testing. But, one that's not as rigorous. I don't want to totally overwhelm her, but she is a self-motivated child, so I'd like her to give it a shot. Any suggestions??

Also, on a transcript lets say dc takes an AP class in 9th, takes the AP test but doesn't score high enough. Does the score get put on the transcript? Also, how does that look on a transcript (that dc didn't do well on AP test)?? More harm than good??

Also, does dc receive a grade at the end of the AP class?

Thanks so much -

(didn't mean to hijack OP)

#11 Blue Hen

Blue Hen

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1479 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

What PA Homeschoolers AP classes would you all recommend for a 9th grader?? I'd like dd to try an AP class to get her feet wet with an AP level course and testing. But, one that's not as rigorous. I don't want to totally overwhelm her, but she is a self-motivated child, so I'd like her to give it a shot. Any suggestions??

I too am waiting to hear the answer to this question. I teach AP Stat with PA HS'ers and this year have several 9th graders in the class. They are each doing quite well however they each completed Algebra 2 and/or Calculus in 8th grade. Not typical for many kids.

Also, on a transcript lets say dc takes an AP class in 9th, takes the AP test but doesn't score high enough. Does the score get put on the transcript? Also, how does that look on a transcript (that dc didn't do well on AP test)?? More harm than good??

Also, does dc receive a grade at the end of the AP class?

Classes with PA HSers are all graded and yes, the student receives a grade. All their classes have been through the College Board Audit process so they are really AP courses and may be designated as such on your transcript. PA HS'ers will also issue a transcript and send it to a college for you for a fee. My plan is to have them send a transcript for my senior only to the college he attends. The colleges he applied to received only my transcript with his AP courses and grades listed. These courses were designated as being taught by PA HS'ers but I didn't have PA HS'ers send a transcript to each school. The schools did not require this of us either but that's not to say that some other school might require it.

Here's what the college board has to say about AP Scores:
AP Score Reporting

Carole

#12 SS in MD

SS in MD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the information! Also, do you know how long PA Homeschoolers keep records for students? What I mean is, if dd took AP class in 9th - 12th, but only in 12th I requested grades to be sent to colleges applied to - will they keep records from prior 4 yrs?

Also, if what do you think (yho), do you think it would not be OK to include AP scores if they are not 3,4,or 5?

Thanks so much- I'm new to ALL this!
Sangita
dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

#13 Blue Hen

Blue Hen

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1479 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:31 AM

I will double-check for you but I believe they will keep the grades for you.

Last July we received DS 'report card' for the year and it had both his sophomore and junior year grades.

#14 Kathy in Richmond

Kathy in Richmond

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1839 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

This past fall we had my dd's PA Homeschooler transcript sent to the colleges she applied to. On the transcript request form they will ask which years/classes/teachers that your child took classes, and all those classes you list will appear on the transcript. My dd's transcript included 10th and 11th grade classes.

hth,
~Kathy

What's with the ads?