Menu

X-Post: Lightning Literature vs. DITHOR

Hmmm, I've never heard of using DITHR with high schoolers. I suppose it's like Reading Strands or other books that help you discuss books?

I have an 8th grade ds, youngest child, loves to talk, hates to be isolated by a book, loves stories & audiobooks.

We're using LL7 right now at almost double speed & will go on to LL8 2nd semester.

My son has not complained at all. LL8 has a little more, so I can't say what will happen then, but LL7 is quite gentle.

With almost all books, I start reading them with him in order to set the tone. That helps him immensely. I did that with Rikki Tikki & Tom Sawyer, the first 2 selections in LL7. Another method that works for him is audiobooks.

Does that help?

Julie

Hmmm, I've never heard of using DITHR with high schoolers. I suppose it's like Reading Strands or other books that help you discuss books?

I have an 8th grade ds, youngest child, loves to talk, hates to be isolated by a book, loves stories & audiobooks.

We're using LL7 right now at almost double speed & will go on to LL8 2nd semester.

My son has not complained at all. LL8 has a little more, so I can't say what will happen then, but LL7 is quite gentle.

With almost all books, I start reading them with him in order to set the tone. That helps him immensely. I did that with Rikki Tikki & Tom Sawyer, the first 2 selections in LL7. Another method that works for him is audiobooks.

Does that help?

Julie

Ds is in 13 and in 8th grade. Sounds like he is the total opposite of yours. Noah loves to read and is a fantastic creative writer he can spend hours upon hours doing either one! As soon as I ask him to tell me about what he is reading he gets frustrated and gives yes/no or very short sentences. Leaves no where for me to go for trying to continue and make it a discussion!

What made you go with LL7 first instead of diving right in with LL8?

Ds is in 13 and in 8th grade. Sounds like he is the total opposite of yours. Noah loves to read and is a fantastic creative writer he can spend hours upon hours doing either one! As soon as I ask him to tell me about what he is reading he gets frustrated and gives yes/no or very short sentences. Leaves no where for me to go for trying to continue and make it a discussion!

What made you go with LL7 first instead of diving right in with LL8?

I'm jealous. We never had a real reader in the bunch. I keep trying... sigh.

I went with LL7 because (1) I had it, (2) it starts with the basics like plot diagramming, and (3) the books would appeal to my non-loving-to-read son.

I added LL8 because he didn't need a whole year for LL7. I'm probably going to eliminate a couple of books because I don't think LL8 will go as quickly as LL7 is, but I hope to do at least half of LL8.

Maybe your reader would do fine starting with LL8. The worksheets are really not too much, and there's a variety in them at least so far. The usual stuff like vocab & comprehension questions are really just optional extras provided for you. The actual worksheets are more about the literature lesson, and include a lot of different visuals such as charts or he did a story board last time. I could look thru my LL8 & see if it's the same, but I do know the vocab & comprehension ?s are still not the main thing in LL8.

Julie

I'm jealous. We never had a real reader in the bunch. I keep trying... sigh.

I went with LL7 because (1) I had it, (2) it starts with the basics like plot diagramming, and (3) the books would appeal to my non-loving-to-read son.

I added LL8 because he didn't need a whole year for LL7. I'm probably going to eliminate a couple of books because I don't think LL8 will go as quickly as LL7 is, but I hope to do at least half of LL8.

Maybe your reader would do fine starting with LL8. The worksheets are really not too much, and there's a variety in them at least so far. The usual stuff like vocab & comprehension questions are really just optional extras provided for you. The actual worksheets are more about the literature lesson, and include a lot of different visuals such as charts or he did a story board last time. I could look thru my LL8 & see if it's the same, but I do know the vocab & comprehension ?s are still not the main thing in LL8.

Julie

I really don't care about the comprehension questions and vocabulary at all. My only consideration for starting with LL7 would be the mini lessons on another opening, saying it with style, and character sketch because I think it would help him with his own writing and outlines because he needs the practice. Can you tell me more about these chapters?

Plot lines and limmericks/haikus would be a repeat of what he learned in 6th grade. I'm not sure if it's worth it only really needing half the program when the whole program can be completed in 1 semester! :confused: