Menu

What age do boys start wearing deodorant?

I am a little weirded out right now. My 9yo son (just turned 9) spent the weekend at my parent's house. When he got home I noticed a stick of deodorant in his bag.. ??? I asked him about it and he said that " Grammy says I need to start wearing this because I am old enough now". Huh? Really? He has NO signs of puberty and I have never smelled BO on him. Is this true? I feel a little offended. Not sure if I am overreacting or what but the idea of my 9yo boy wearing deodorant is just too strange.. I also kind of feel like she should have brought it up to me. Not just bought him some deodorant and told him that he needs to start wearing it. My poor son couldn't even pronounce the word.. When I asked him "what is that?" he say oh that's some deoradum... So please just tell me if I am overreacting. I never wore deodorant until I was going through puberty. Is it different for boys? Thanks for letting me rant:001_huh:

I am a little weirded out right now. My 9yo son (just turned 9) spent the weekend at my parent's house. When he got home I noticed a stick of deodorant in his bag.. ??? I asked him about it and he said that " Grammy says I need to start wearing this because I am old enough now". Huh? Really? He has NO signs of puberty and I have never smelled BO on him. Is this true? I feel a little offended. Not sure if I am overreacting or what but the idea of my 9yo boy wearing deodorant is just too strange.. I also kind of feel like she should have brought it up to me. Not just bought him some deodorant and told him that he needs to start wearing it. My poor son couldn't even pronounce the word.. When I asked him "what is that?" he say oh that's some deoradum... So please just tell me if I am overreacting. I never wore deodorant until I was going through puberty. Is it different for boys? Thanks for letting me rant:001_huh:

We started putting it on one of my dd's when she was two because of huge BO problems. VERY young, but I would get nauseated from her BO in a closed car. It was b a d.

My other dd 10 just started to really have to wear it in the last 6 months. Whew!

My son, age 6, likes to be included so he has his own stick that he keeps in his toiletries bag. It's one of those small 99 cent travel size. It's cute when he puts it on, he says, "Now I smell like a man!" But I don't ask him to or remind him to or beg him too--not yet.

It just depends. If your kid's not smelly yet, it's coming. I say just let him keep it but don't make it an issue.

I wouldn't be offended, but I would say something to gmom about running stuff like that by you first.

Well, I only have girls, but my 8 year old dd has been wearing deo for about a year. I was FLOORED that at 7 we were anywhere near time to purchase deodorant.

I did notice some b.o. after dd had been playing outside, which is why we began purchasing. If my mom (or mil) purchased deo I would hope they would mention it to me. Perhaps it slipped her mind?

Hi,

I don't have a boy, but, I do have a 10-year-old daughter. She needs to wear deodorant--we bought her Tom's Natural Care, no aluminum and natural fragrance.

She was nine and at summer camp, when the counselor informed all of the children that they needed to start wearing deodorant. After that we decided to keep our noses open, and found that maybe she did need a little something. We also eat organic foods and lots of garlic, so that might of contributed to stinky sweat.

Good Luck!!!

Forevergrace

DS started wearing it inconsistently at 10, consistently by 11. Dd was 9. For each it was just when I noticed body odor after play or exercise. Dd wanted to long before I let her because "all her friends already wore it". Both had body odor before any other signs of puberty, although both are showing plenty of other sign now :001_huh: so I think it was a precursor.

Hi,

I don't have a boy, but, I do have a 10-year-old daughter. She needs to wear deodorant--we bought her Tom's Natural Care, no aluminum and natural fragrance.

She was nine and at summer camp, when the counselor informed all of the children that they needed to start wearing deodorant. After that we decided to keep our noses open, and found that maybe she did need a little something. We also eat organic foods and lots of garlic, so that might of contributed to stinky sweat.

Good Luck!!!

Forevergrace

This reminds me of the beginning of 5th grade. Our teacher matter-of-factly told us that we were at an age where it was a good idea to start wearing deoderant, and that we should mention it to our parents. It was very non-embarrassing, as this was just part of her beginning-of-5th grade things, and not in response to any specific stinkiniess. :D

Oldest ds started wearing some last year (age 10) because dh noticed the need. We gave him an unscented aluminum-free variety from Trader Joe's, but I've noticed lately that it's not enough. I think we'll get him some Tom's of Maine (with a nice, neutral scent.) Aluminum is such an effective anti-persperant, but the more we learn about it's harmful effects, the less we're willing to purposefully put it into our bodies every day. (Dh noticed a huge decrease in headaches when he switched to Tom's. :tongue_smilie:)

Anywhere from 9 to 13, depending on boy. Generally if you open the bedroom door in the a.m. and you get the locker room smell, it's past time to give out the deo.

Perhaps the problem was more in the showering or changing socks/underwear and grandma didn't want to get too personal?

He smelled like a wet dog without it.

My oldest only wore it when he was a teenager. I've really never smelled BO on him. He's fastidious about being clean, but also just didn't have much odor. I was surprised, then, that his brother really needed it at 9, but he did.

My third son I only notice every once in a while. Maybe your mom caught him on a bad day?

Aluminum is such an effective anti-persperant, but the more we learn about it's harmful effects, the less we're willing to purposefully put it into our bodies every day. (Dh noticed a huge decrease in headaches when he switched to Tom's. :tongue_smilie:)

This is interesting to know. thanks!

My dd has needed it since 1st grade (7) :001_huh:. But she really stinks without it. Either that or I'm extra sensitive to b.o. because I can't stand it!

And yes, only the deodorant, no anti-perspirant (has aluminum).

I wouldn't have been offended. If she thought he stinks, well...then maybe he does and you haven't noticed it yet. I would mention the no-aluminum thing though, just in case she's inclined to purchase him more personal care products without your knowledge!

My ds is just about to turn 9 and we do not use it. I definitely will not introduce it until he really needs it. One less set of chemicals for his body to absorb for now! And I will definitely start him out with a natural brand.

I would be annoyed if my mom did that with out mentioning it to me, but not mad.

My older ds started wearing deodorant around age 11. His brother started at 8. Yes, 8 years old. Why? He was FUNKY. :lol: It definitely depends on the child, their body chemistry, and their activity level, not so much on age.

Same exact here. 11 and 8, because of the funk factor. Shocking.

My ds asked me about it around the time he turned 10. Apparently, he was having an issue with wetness. I didn't notice any BO but wanted to encourage the interest in hygine. This is a kid that thinks he doesn't need a shower because he already took one this week.

Funny note - Before I went to the store, I asked about scents, he asked for watermelon! :lol: It was nice to see the "still a little boy" side of him. We settled on unscented....

I would have been quite annoyed if my mom or MIL sent a stick home with ds. I do a lot of things differently than they both did and don't really like the interferance. It's not a big thing but it is not really their place either. I would probably (on a non-PMS day) have tried to let it go, though. :glare:

My ds is 14 and still doesn't need it. However, my nephew started wearing it when he was about 9 or 10.

I wonder if he just got especially hot and stinky while he was there and she thought it was something that happened regularly and tried to help you out? Maybe she forgot to mention it to you.

I wouldn't worry. It's not like she pierced his ear or got him a tattoo without telling you. :tongue_smilie:

I wouldn't be too upset about it. What are the chances that because you're around your son all the time that the smells coming from him are "normal" to you....in other words you don't notice it? Maybe Grandma noticed it because she's NOT around him all the time. Unless her personality makes trying to anger you normal, I'd assume she just felt perhaps he needed it and thoughtfully bought it for him. Maybe she figured he left it at home.

It's very hard to see those first signs of them growing up. I can still remember feeling almost freaked out when my eldest daughter came and asked me if she could shave her armpits. When she lifted her arm and there were a half dozen very very long hairs there, all I could think of was "how did those get there". LOL. Seriously, like they didn't belong. Let's not even start when I walked in on her accidently and saw hair "elsewhere". Yikes....it's scary to think my baby is growing up.

I'd tell him that he can leave the stick in the bathroom and use it after showers if HE feels he needs it. I certainly wouldn't require him, nor would I take it away. It's deodrant. It's not going to change who he is or make him grow up faster, or harm him. As the saying goes....this is not a hill I would want to die on. Chances are good that he'll forget about using it anyway. And that someday you'll have to order him to use it! LOL

I wouldn't be upset, but I would ask her in a polite way if she thought he was stinky? Because I would be worried that maybe my kid was funky and I hadn't noticed. Either way, just say thanks.

And personally, I would start with the aluminum free and only use the harsher stuff if my kid was still stinky. But no need to mention that to your Mom if it might make her think you were offended or whatever.

Thanks for all of your responses. I guess I may just be overreacting. It was just a little bit shocking to me..

I was shocked when my son started needing it. At eight!

Did your son bathe regularly at the grandparent's house? At nine my oldest would still sometimes "forget" to use soap in the shower. Maybe your boy got extra sweaty playing, and grandma was, you know, helping him out. Or, if it had been my mom, I could imagine her having some deodorant around the house that my dad rejected for some unbeknown reason (he does that sometimes, sudden, unprovoked pickiness) and handed it over to the kid as a way to get rid of it.

I guess I'm saying I can imagine a couple scenarios that might have prompted the gift.

I wouldn't have been offended. If she thought he stinks, well...then maybe he does and you haven't noticed it yet.

Oh my, now I'm thinking: what if my son has the funk and I can't smell it because I'm so used to his smell??

I'm going to make my best friend take random whiffs this week, and let me know what she thinks LOL.

I've never worn deoderant; it didn't occur to me until just now that my kids might not have inherited my body chemistry ... and might have more of a need for something to address stink or sweat.

This parenting gig is crazy.

I am totally against deodorant. There I said it, I have not worn it in 20 years, I work out on the treadmill almost everyday, I'm out at the barn with the horses...if I feel like I have stink, I'll get a wash cloth and put some natural soap on it and scrub up my areas and rinse...it's a 20th century creation that has way too many preservatives, chemicals etc that prevent the body from doing what it is supposed to...diet has a lot to do with body odor and hormones...I'm all about cleanliness but deodorant is where I can proudly say I'm going green.

Tara

I volunteer at church a lot with youth activities. A couple of years ago, there were a couple of siblings with terrible odor at every activity. Great family, well-taken care of kids...just obviously didn't use deodorent. My heart ached for those girls because many people discussed it and peers avoided them. I even saw other girls offering them their deodorent on youth trips. They just could not catch a hint. It was a real problem and I couldn't understand why the parents didn't NOTICE it. No one (including me) had the guts to talk to the parents because they didn't want to offend them. Finally on a youth trip I tried to gently address the issue with a story NOT directed at them. Eventually I noticed the problem begin to fade. Maybe she did catch your son on a busy day. I know my kids let a lot of things slide when they're with Grandma. It sounds like he doesn't have a real problem at all. However, I'm with the person who said it's not a bad idea to start good hygiene habits before they have an issue. Both my kids started by 9.

even if he doesn't "need" it right now, 9 is a good time to start hygiene habits that will last a lifetime. I'm all for beginning habits before they become necessary.

:iagree: My ds asked for deodorant when he was 11. He had learned his slightly older friend used it. I bought it gladly; why wait until he smells and have to bug him about it?

Now he's almost 13, and he likes to buy Axe products, which he seems to think are manly. :001_smile:

Wendi

I would definitely mention that you'd like to be consulted in the future. That said, I'm sure she only meant well. My 5th grade teacher send a note home requesting my parents to get me deodorant, because they just never "noticed" it was time. I was mortified. I wish there had been someone in the family who would have spoken up before it got to that.

Just my experience...

My son came out of the womb needing deodorant. He has STRONG body odor, bless his heart. And my nose. :lol:

I'm glad your son isn't funky yet, and I'm sorry your parents didn't ask you.

Maybe they were trying to make him feel like a big boy.

My Mom does silly stuff all the time. I just tell her to stop it and keep on going. She won't stop and I won't stop telling her to stop. That's just the kind of Mom she is.