Menu

Do you review Algebra while you are doing Geometry? (more)

Guest Katia

We are using Life of Fred to keep the algebra current as we are studying geometry this year. So far, so good. LOF is fun and short. Just what we wanted for a good review.

I have LoF on the shelf, but I like the SAT II idea. That sounds nice and easy. Chalkdust has a new Geometry program. I asked about Algebra review and Prof. wasn't sure whether the new text had any or not (???). He said not to worry about it and just concentrate on Geometry, but he and I have differing views on reviewing!;) I have ds do the integrated reviews in the Chalkdust Algebra I text, but Prof. Mosely says I shouldn't. I'm such a rebel!:lol:

ALEKS. I know I'm sounding like a broken record (or scratched CD), but it's so efficient for reviewing concepts. I like to order just one month and give them a break from their regular text to scoot through the old material again. It usually doesn't take that long. Then it's back to the regularly scheduled program.

Barb

Provided my plan works--this coming school year we will be doing geometry 1st semester along with an algebra review and Consumer Math 2nd, along with an algebra review.

All three are workbook format--Walsh Power Basics for geometry which is a 4 book set (so it might take all year), Globe/Fearon's Consumer Math, and Carson/phellosa's Alg. Workbook.

I plan to do one lesson of Geometry every day, with one lesson of algebra 2 times a week. So on two days a week, they'll have two math "classes".

But this is also all dependent on whether DD16 goes to Tech School next year. I have to gear school around her schedule if she does.

Well, thought that was interesting comment from Mosely. Actually, I am a bit surprised. I have the past edition with new one is out, and we were not short on reviewing.

I am not at all familiar with Aleks or LoF. We do the AMC (American MAth Competitions) each year so we constantly prepping and reviewing math skills/problem solving techniques no matter what course in math we are studying. Personally, I like the fact that it is all integrated - all math not just Algebra or Geometry or whatever. After all, once you are on the job, one will not be told "Now use Algebra to solve this problem..." haha Well, guess that was my plug, once again, for problem solving. double haha

Also ds working on SAT problem of the day each day - some math and some not. In other words, no way to forget or get rusty in math at our house! haha

In pondering Mosely's statement about not worrying, the first sections of Alg 2 could/would considered review to ramp back up. And actually, there are many geometry problems which involve algebra so really one would not forget. But if you were worried about forgetting, on Fridays (any day) pull out a integrated review set - whole or part- from Algebra 1 book and use it for a review.

As I am getting closer to finishing with my eldest son, I am figuring out that sometimes less is more in the curriculum arena. In other words, reuse and review what you have.

My opinion only =

Susie