Menu

Has anyone used Mystery of History w/ a highschooler?

Hi,

I am thinking ahead to next year when we enter the realm of highschool. YIKES!! Anyway, I have looked at MOH 1 with the thought of switching and using it now w/ all my kids. When looking at it, though, I wasn't thinking about highschool. Has anyone used this program for highschool? If so, how did it work? What did you use to supplement it? My kids learn well together, and would love to find a history program that we could all continue to use even as some enter highschool. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

MOH 1 is not a high school text, imo. I used it briefly (maybe 3 or 4 entries) with my ds in 9th grade to flesh out a couple of points in history (Biblical history, for the most part), but I do not consider it hs level because it doesn't get enough into the analysis of why things happened and lead to enough connections on the rhetoric level. OTOH, there's nothing wrong with using it as a resource!

Are you young earth creationist/Biblically literal? That's the perspective it has.

incase you didn't already know. There is a MOH yahoo group for highschoolers. Here is the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MysteryofHistoryHighSchool/?yguid=345008759

I found this from the regular MOH yahoo groups. Also, in the yahoo group in the files it has a supplemental list for highschoolers. I can't remember if it was the high school one or the regular MOH yahoo group. Hope this helps.

~Blessings!

Hi,

I am thinking ahead to next year when we enter the realm of highschool. YIKES!! Anyway, I have looked at MOH 1 with the thought of switching and using it now w/ all my kids. When looking at it, though, I wasn't thinking about highschool. Has anyone used this program for highschool? If so, how did it work? What did you use to supplement it? My kids learn well together, and would love to find a history program that we could all continue to use even as some enter highschool. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't use it as a stand alone, especially volume 1, which is lighter than the rest of the volumes. I would use it as a spine for High School.

The publisher of MOH has also come out with a full Lit/LA/History program for all ages that works hand in hand with MOH called Illuminations. It has additional reading, additional mapping, literature analysis...everything that MOH needs to be brought up to High School levels. The publisher has hsed and graduated two children, so she is very aware of credits and such (where I am not :001_huh: ).

There is also a lot of schedules to add to MOH in both the High School yahoo group and the individual groups.

Heather

I am using MOH 1 with my 9th grader. I am aware many would feel it is not "high school" level, but I feel it is fine for my dd. I am meeting her where she is, kwim? I was originally going to use SOTW with her, but a friend loaned me her MOH 1 and then I was fortunate enough to pick up a used copy for a very inexpensive price.

I think MOH 1 provides a good survey of the Ancients. I plan to add Literature and have my dd write papers, complete mapwork and keep a timeline notebook. We will also watch interesting films/documentaries. I may have her watch some Teaching Company lectures as we are fortunate to have a library system which has some. There will also be some field trips to local museums to round out our studies. That is certainly more than I did in high school for any history class. We will begin next week with MOH as we have been easing into our school year by adding slowly over the past few weeks.

I am not using the Illuminations program as it is out of our budget, but I think MOH will be fine as a spine and the additions I am planning. Hope this is helpful.

Hi Katiebug,

If you are interested in looking at other programs that incorporate history and lit, plus lots of other things, you might want to consider Tapestry of Grace. TOG can be quite challenging at the HS level, and it will definitely train your students to be thoughtful young people. TOG has learning levels for early and late grammar, jr high (dialectic) and high school (rhetoric) - it really is an amazing program if it fits your family.

Hope this helps rather than just muddying the waters!

Blessings,

April