Menu

I just got my R&S English...now what?

I'm starting my high schoolers with R&S English 7. So I have the set, but I was wondering how all of you did it? Do you read the intro of the chapter with them, do the class practice together on a white board or orally, or do you just let them go for it, then help if they need it? Can this be done as an independent course, or is there a lot of teacher instruction required? Also, since I have more than one using the text, should I get more copies? How many lessons to you do a week? Thanks! :)

We're currently using R&S E.7. First thing my ds does is study his English flash cards that he made for the chapter (important lesson survey box info), I ask the oral review questions, I read the lesson intro. & outline (bold only).; he reads the chapter by himself or if I think it's a difficult lesson we read it aloud together alternating paragraphs and then we do the class practice together (odd or even). He does the worksheet if there is one for that lesson OR some of the written exercises (if it's really easy we just do class practice and then we're done). We do English 4 or 5 times/week. For the chapter reviews, we typically take 2 days and do all the class practice together orally and then he does all the written practice to be well prepared for the chapter test.

We've been using R&S for three years now. Here is how we do it: First, we do the Oral Review. Then, ds and dd read the lesson. We generally do all of the Class Practice and Written Practice orally. (I often have a project to work on while we go through the lesson.) I assign the worksheet if I think additional practice is needed. They do the composition exercises if I feel they need them, but often we have covered that material elsewhere. All the diagramming is done on white boards. (For some reason, it's so much better doing it that way, than on paper.) And I would recommend that each student have his own book.

Some say that R&S can be used independently. I'm not sure I'd recommend that, at least not for all lessons. Some topics benefit from some teacher input. Also, we do three to four lessons a week on the years that we don't make a cross-country move. This year, it's five lessons a week. :ack2::ack2::ack2:

HTH,

Jennifer

We are only in Level 6, but I think they are all set up the same way. We will be doing 7 next year. I only do the grammar portion, not the writing assignments. We use something else for writing. We do the oral review (in the wrap-around part of the Teacher's Manual) orally together. I then go to any review exercises at the end of the lesson and do those orally, too. Ds then reads the lesson to himself. Occasionally, we do some of the exercises in the book orally, but usually he just does the worksheet that goes with the lesson. Almost all text lessons have worksheets that go with them. Did you get those? There is much less writing involved that way. Then, if he has "issues" he can go back and do some of the class exercises from the textbook. Usually, he doesn't have "issues" 'cause he doesn't want to have to do the class exercises! So he is quite motivated to do well on the worksheets. I highly recommend those if you don't have them.