Menu

Measure of academic progress tests

nanraj

This math practice site seems to have the grade levels broken down into each skill. I could see where this would be a good practice site to use for a while before doing MAP:

http://www.ixl.com/

Capt - I wish I could answer you since you've been so helpful to me in the past. the nwea.org site does not seem to offer an individual sign up. I suspect you would have to contact your district. The next time I have them on the phone (nwea that is, I have been assisting with the computer set-up here), I will ask if there is any option.

I am currently pondering what to expect in growth. DS just finished testing yesterday and his prelim scores put him at beginning, middle or end of 4th grade, one or two 5th, in LA and Math depending on the skill but science he comes in at 6th grade, beginning of year. I feel a bit concerned about how would he show growth when he is already a couple grades ahead or more. I'm not going to push hard for big leaps, he's doing fine. The teacher we're working with assures me that a point or two of growth might be all we will see in 4 months so we shall see. I have figured since he will have to test next year in our state as per homeschool laws here, being used to a "testing" environment would be a fine thing yet I have a slight feeling of having painted myself into a corner also. I also want standardized results on paper for him so if he wants to apply to the Belin-Blank programs next summer, he will have documentation (which I have mentioned before, haven't I? I repeat myself...) But I will just have to see what happens regarding growth.

I'm yammering on about this in case such feelings would influence anyone considering doing MAP tests.

And do you think his high score is simply the result of general public school standards for science being so low? That was giving my sister and me a laugh last night!

I think it's in about 4 month's time. The point is to see where growth is _not_ happening so you can shore up those areas. Obviously a good way to target areas where skills are low. Good question about ceiling. I don't know. Will post if I find out...

I should also check and see if I could just wait till the end of the school year to test again - if the district is doing it then. 4 months is awfully soon now that you reflect it back to me. They might cooperate on that since ds is already ahead in all tested areas...

Edited by Jill