What's with the ads?

Photo

Apologia General lesson plans?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Cadam

Cadam

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11583 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

Anyone have lesson plans that schedule it twice a week, possibly with tests on a different day?

I thought I would ask before I go reinventing the wheel. I actually purchased plans but they are for a 4 day week and I only want to do science twice a week.

#2 Donna A.

Donna A.

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

Could you just double up? Turn the four days into two....

#3 Mommyof4ks

Mommyof4ks

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4965 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

That is what I was thinking. We get outside books from the library to go along with the textbook, so we have never tried squeezing it into 2 days, but if you just read the lessons it could be doable.

#4 dhudson

dhudson

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

That's what we've been doing here. I just schedule Connor which two MFW lesson plan days he's to do so that he finishes 4 lesson plan days a week. Thus far it's worked really well and he's fully accomplished everything and has scored 99% on both of his first tests.

#5 LindaOz

LindaOz

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:15 PM

My dd does General Science twice a week. She does two sections a day - with a 'section' meaning everything to the end of an "On Your Own" question/s. It works really well for her and is not too much at all.

HTH

#6 afruitfulbranch

afruitfulbranch

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Are you all using General Science with 6th or 7th graders or some other grade?
Where did you find your lesson plans?
Are all of you using the tests?

(My first 3 children used this book independently years ago with little help from me, somewhere between 6-8th grades, maybe 9th for my daughter, but I'm not sure if my 6th grader is up to it yet. I would like to do the same thing with both the 6th and 8th grader. They just started GS but I am concerned that they will not be able to prepare for the tests without a ton of help from me.)

#7 cbollin

cbollin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2795 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

Where did you find your lesson plans?
Are all of you using the tests?

I used General last year with my then 7th grader. (and in Physical this year in 8th) She uses the tests. Works independently in the program. She "can" read the modules in 2 days (but doesn't *have* to read them in 2 days and I encourage her not to cram it in either.). It takes her longer to write the lab reports and all of that. So, it might not take her 8 school days to do a module (chapter), but usually she needs more than 4. But hey, I guess it works better for other people. she's getting all A's on her tests too. My daughter remembers most of what she read last year and still talks about it. That's the important thing. Retention and it worked for us. oh well. all of our smart kids are different.

2 places that I know of for Lesson plans for Apologia:

*MFW

*and a website from Donna Young

I know Cadam and I have radically different experiences with the MFW lesson plans. I like them. I like that each module is broken down into sections and reminders to do labs and all of that. It helps my daughter to stay on track or get a little ahead, but it gives her a plan to follow and be accountable for.
I like that MFW plans are one booklet: I get the lab supply list and the module plan all in one place. Is it 100% needed? Well, in my family, we like them. My oldest daughter likes the check box feel to them. She is responsible for getting me a shopping list for the week -- and I much prefer how she highlights the needed items on the lesson plan and gives that to me. So, that's better than taking the textbook with me or making a shopping list each time. But, that's just us. She likes the plans in one place and she liked the style of the MFW plans over the DonnaYoung plans.

-crystal

#8 Donna A.

Donna A.

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

I used General last year with my then 7th grader. (and in Physical this year in 8th) She uses the tests. Works independently in the program. She "can" read the modules in 2 days (but doesn't *have* to read them in 2 days and I encourage her not to cram it in either.). It takes her longer to write the lab reports and all of that. So, it might not take her 8 school days to do a module (chapter), but usually she needs more than 4. But hey, I guess it works better for other people. she's getting all A's on her tests too. My daughter remembers most of what she read last year and still talks about it. That's the important thing. Retention and it worked for us. oh well. all of our smart kids are different.

2 places that I know of for Lesson plans for Apologia:

*MFW

*and a website from Donna Young

I know Cadam and I have radically different experiences with the MFW lesson plans. I like them. I like that each module is broken down into sections and reminders to do labs and all of that. It helps my daughter to stay on track or get a little ahead, but it gives her a plan to follow and be accountable for.
I like that MFW plans are one booklet: I get the lab supply list and the module plan all in one place. Is it 100% needed? Well, in my family, we like them. My oldest daughter likes the check box feel to them. She is responsible for getting me a shopping list for the week -- and I much prefer how she highlights the needed items on the lesson plan and gives that to me. So, that's better than taking the textbook with me or making a shopping list each time. But, that's just us. She likes the plans in one place and she liked the style of the MFW plans over the DonnaYoung plans.

-crystal

What she said. My dd and I find the MFW lesson plans very helpful in keeping both of us on track ("efficiency" is the word), and we use them the same way Crystal described.

#9 cbollin

cbollin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2795 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

What she said. My dd and I find the MFW lesson plans very helpful in keeping both of us on track ("efficiency" is the word), and we use them the same way Crystal described.

it's probably a girl vs. boy thing? :lol: or Christina is just waaaaaaaaay more organized than I am. She has to be. I'm too frazzled. :lol:

#10 afruitfulbranch

afruitfulbranch

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

I've used the Donna Young the plans in the past. I should be a veteran homeschooler having homeschooled for 13-14 years with two graduates but with moving/ministry/baby/new country/new language/ etc. in the last 3 years, school was somewhat on the fly. Now that I'm really getting back into it I feel like a newbie and not so sure if my old style, when back at home will still work with my fuller life. (This is the long explanation for my question:blush:)

Actually, I am a newbie to this forum stuff and all these new programs that I didn't know of 13 years ago....

#11 Cadam

Cadam

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11583 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

it's probably a girl vs. boy thing? :lol: or Christina is just waaaaaaaaay more organized than I am. She has to be. I'm too frazzled. :lol:

"Organized" is not a word people use to describe me Crystal! Basically it comes down to the MFW plans not fitting into my schedule and they boys not using them on their own. In my perfect world MFW history would be scheduled 3 days a week and the science plans for 2 days a week and the plans would have a week's worth of plans on one page and only printed on one side, but with tests scheduled for the Monday after the review is scheduled. - Picky aren't I? :lol:

The MFW plans were helpful because I was able to use them to quickly rearrange the plans w./o having to page through the whole book. It only took me a couple of hours and now I have a 2 day schedule with tests on Mondays, except the weeks before a school break. :D If I could get someone to type it for me, that would be great!

#12 dhudson

dhudson

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

I love MFW lesson plans because they allow me to not have to start from scratch.:001_smile: I enter Connor's plans into Edu- Trac each week and then print out a lesson plan for him on Mondays so that he can be independent.

#13 Donna A.

Donna A.

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

I love MFW lesson plans because they allow me to not have to start from scratch.:001_smile: I enter Connor's plans into Edu- Trac each week and then print out a lesson plan for him on Mondays so that he can be independent.

Amen! Though I've not used Edu-Track. Is it time consuming? Just thinking about trying something for my oldest at this point, since she's so close to high school. :001_huh:

#14 dhudson

dhudson

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

It can be time consuming at the first but after you get used to it it's pretty quick. It takes me about an hour every Sunday to enter in plans and grades into Edu-Trac for Connor.

With MFW plans, I just put in EDU-Trac - do days 17 and 18 on whatever day I need them to be done.

I also have really pretty reports at the end of the year as well.;) It will track credit hours as well which will be nice when we hit high school.

#15 Donna A.

Donna A.

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:52 PM

Thanks, Dawn. I may look into that!

#16 Katiebug_1976

Katiebug_1976

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1789 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

:iagree:

#17 keithfamily5

keithfamily5

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

I found an Apologia General Science yahoo group. In the files section, they have something like assignment sheets. Module 1, Day 1, Module 1, Day 2, etc.

I started out doing it every day, then 4x a week, it was just too much. Now were down to two days a week. I am completely okay with it taking us 2 years to get through it.

HTH,
Patty

P.S. do a yahoo group search for: Apologia General Science

What's with the ads?