Menu

Lial math....questions

I am researching algebra programs right now to get ready for this coming fall.

I am researching VideoText, Chalkdust and MUS. I keep seeing Lials.

I have heard this so many times. I know there must be numerous posts on Lials.

What is so great about this program?

Is it easily used by students without input from Teacher except for grading and guiding? Or is this teacher intensive? Do answer keys and solutions come with it?

Everytime I have looked at Lials it seems complicated to me. So help see the light on this program that alot on here raves about.

Holly

Margaret Lial has been writing math texts for many many years. She is known for her detailed lessons/examples.

The majority of her texts were designed for remedial adult work--and are used at the Community College level. This is why the layout is designed for block scheduling. It is VERY easy to break the sections into 2 day lessons.

I prefer the layout of her 'paperback' series. The print is very comfortable to read. After each example in the lesson several practice problems are offered in the sidebars. The student is instructed to work those out before going on to the next example in the lesson. This way the student can test their understanding of the lesson while they go.

I assign the odd problems for the practice sets. This gives the student more than enough work! I do insist my students work all of the chapter review problems--takes 2-3 days to complete but it is worth it!

I'm very comfortable with the concepts that are presented at each level. The texts are definitely 'college prep' because they are college texts! I love the critical thinking/application problems at the end of each lesson. The students must THINK and use the material covered (lots of 'real world' application). The material covered in this program is comparable to what is found in Foerster and Larson. Since Geometry is not a college requirement, not many use her Geometry text--it is basic with proofs--but the video support is not available.

I really like the fact that this series can be easily found 'used' (Used also means older editions in 'new' condition). The student text is all that is needed, but solutions manuals and computer/video lessons called DVTs are easy to find. Because these are 'college' text books they have to produce a new edition every 2 years or so. Because of this there are only MINOR differences between editions. Most of my students use the 7th or 8th editions.

It is easy to find the 6th or 7th edition SETS for under $40 shipped. I just purchased another Intermediate Algebra text for $7 shipped. (NEW condition 7th edition).

Because these books can be found 'cheap'--they also make great reference texts for those using a different program. Sometimes looking at a concept from a different publisher makes a big difference.

HTH

Yes! I have often referred to BCM when I needed a different explanation for what we were learning in Singapore Elementary and NEM. :001_smile:

Jann, can you explain the differences between Lial Beginning Algebra and Intro to Algebra?

Thanks!

I want to thank you for helping me out with this. I decided to go ahead and buy BCM. I found a 6th edition through Amazon but realized I forgot to check to see if the solution comes with the text. I got it through warehouse deals (amazon's) so I did send them an email asking about that. Hopefully they will email me back asap.

I will have ds go through BCM first then go right into Algebra. I like the price and the reviews I have read from here and amazon.

thanks guys!!

:001_smile:

Margaret Lial has had many different Algebra programs published over the years. Beginning Algebra and Introductory Algebra are/were both published by different branches of the same publisher--Pearson/Addison Wesley.

The teaching content is basically the same--but the layout and how 'fast' the book moves is a bit different.

For high school students I prefer the 'paperback developmental' series that has Introductory Algebra in it. This series has practice problems in the sidebars and a bit more detail in the examples/lesson.

Both are good texts--it is just a matter of preference.

Starting this past fall Pearson has decided to combine these into ONE series. Introductory's series ended with the (still current) 8th edition and Beginning's series ended with the 9th edition. The NEW AND IMPROVED conbo series will be called Beginning and the editions will start with the 10th! This conbo series has a few new features--mainly the DVTs have been reworked a bit and there is a video (cd) that works out ALL of the test problems for the student.

Just to confuse the public a bit more the Algebra 2 text for BOTH series is called Intermediate Algebra! ISBN numbers are needed unless you know the cover styles.

Where are you finding good new condition intermediate algebra at? I've been searching and seeing all the good books going for $70-$80? Thanks.

I found a copy of Lial's Introductory Algebra 7th Edition for $1 at abebooks. I think I paid $5 after shipping. I haven't decided if I am going to use it or not, but for $5 it was worth it to purchase and have. :)