Menu

Apologia General Science...We have a son who is 17 with some...

learning disabilities.

We are thinking of using Apologia General Science with him this year. |But it looks a bit intense. He likes science and we looked at this book and he thinks he likes it. Has anyone even adapted this book for a child with learning disabilties?

Any and all suggestions very welcome.

Thanks for the help.

Red Wagon Tutorials has downloads/cds of the book (each module can be purchased separately) so you can listen as you read along in the book.

I think the book is very easy to read and understand.

If you join the yahoo group for Apologia Science there are some free study guides which are quite useful.

I second the mp3. Also, Donna Young's site has schedules, bookmarks, free worksheets, ready made lab sheets, etc. These items may be helpful to you. Check it out at http://donnayoung.org/apologia/general.htm

Editing to add: don't be a slave to a schedule. Take as long as you need on each Module to help him be successful.

Adrianne in IL

We have been adapting the Apologia Texts for children with learning challenges. For one, she uses the MP3 audio CD, with great success. Also, instead of taking the tests, we are using the 'Chapter Summaries' which are located at the back of the book - making up more of a science notebook, rather than stressing her with tests.

But, my 17 year old loves the Apologia texts as they are - including the tests! She has struggled so much with academics, and it has taken some time - it took 2 years to do General Science, but she now loves the books, and is moving through Biology. The well laid-out format of Apologia has really helped her, and with patience and perseverance, she is now making good progress.

I hope that helps,