Menu

Sewing patches onto Cub Scout uniforms

mirth

I have a bunch of patches to sew onto my son's Tiger Cub uniform. The shirt has not yet been washed. (Still crisp)

Please fill in the blanks:

"You should use a #________________ size needle."

"You should use thread made out of _______________ "

"You should use approximately this color thread: _____________"

I sort of remember the blanket stitch from Home Ec and think I could make it relatively invisible from the outside

Clearly, I know almost nothing about sewing. If you tell me the answers, I will go buy whatever items. I think the patches might iron-on, but in case I need to move them around, I don't want to go with ironing just yet.

Edited by mirth

LOL-

1.. you should use whatever needle you can scavenge around the house.

2 You will need to buy a rainbow of colors as no two stinking patches ever are the same color.

and another tip-- you can buy special patch stickers that makes them stick to the shirt without sewing.

I admit, I sew them on. But only because I'm too cheap to buy the stickers and already have lots of thread. LOL

I have a bunch of patches to sew onto my son's Tiger Cub uniform. The shirt has not yet been washed. (Still crisp)

Please fill in the blanks:

I sort of remember the blanket stitch from Home Ec and think I could make it relatively invisible from the outside

Clearly, I know almost nothing about sewing. If you tell me the answers, I will go buyI think the patches might iron-on, but in case I need to move them around, I don't want to go with ironing just yet.

LOL! I have been teaching myself to sew over the last few years and have sewn the patches on my son's CS uniform the last 3 yrs. I used a needle I got in a free sewing kit and whatever color thread they had at Walmart that matched the edging on the patch I was sewing (never thought to look at what it was made of). :D So far, he's not falling apart (although I sewed those things on so tightly that when I had to get him a new shirt, it took me longer to get the patches off the old shirt than to sew them on the new one).

I did find that using an embroidery hoop helped me keep the shirt from puckering around the patches. (Also found at WM.)

There is patch glue that you can buy, but I found it really messy and the uniform had kind of a sloppy look around the patches - however, that may just be me because other people used it and thier sons' uniforms looked just fine. :001_smile:

You might even ask if there is another mom willing to sew the patches on for you. I am planning on offering to sew them on for people this year since I know there are a lot of parents who just don't like to do it.

I agree that you will need a few different colors because every patch really is different.

I had really good luck this last time buying thread that was meant for embroidery. Actually I sent my husband out for a quick run and that's what he bought. It worked beautifully in my sewing machine, the cotton always sticks for me and this thread was smoother.

I haven't sewn on a patch in years. We use Badge Magic. They should carry it at the Scout store. You can probably order it online as well. Easy, works, holds through lots of washings. It has preprinted badges on the paper so you just have to be able to cut on the lines :001_smile:

Edited by jcooperetc
I am dopey today

LOL-

1.. you should use whatever needle you can scavenge around the house.

That would be the Epi-Pen autoinjector needle. Yeah, I will need to be outfitted completely.

My favorite trick on patches is to use the stapler liberally. Staple and sew rather than pin and sew.

I forgot all about pinning. Hey, but the stapler idea has me thinking ....! :blush:

I haven't sewn on a patch in years. We use Badge Magic. They should carry it at the Scout store. You can probably order it online as well. Easy, works, holds through lots of washings. It has preprinted badges on the paper so you just have to be able to cut on the lines :001_smile: and iron.

Interesting! How do you remove Badge Magic when it's time to re-arrange?

Edited by mirth

My daughter is in Girl Scouts and to save myself from having to sew on all those badges, I use Heat and Bond. It can be found at any sewing store or even at Walmart in the sewing supply aisle. It comes in a roll, looks like paper and you cut a piece of it out the same size and shape as the patch (I just trace around the patch). Then you iron the Heat & Bond onto the patch, peel off the paper (this is on the side of the Heat & Bond that you did not iron onto the patch) and then iron the patch onto the shirt. It is kind of like super glue for patches. I have had really good luck with this and do not ever plan to sew on another patch. Follow the directions that come with the product. Best of luck!

Shannon

We use Badge Magic too. No ironing, just peel and stick, and they come in the shapes of the badges too. Miraculous stuff IMO. You have the shirt dry cleaned (just ask for the perc process according to the Badge Magic instructions) when you want the patches removed. I haven't done this yet but will be soon; both boys are outgrowing their shirts, time to move little man up to big bro's shirt and buy a new tan (for Webelos) shirt for big bro.

I hate ironing. So I called and asked my mom for advice, and she said to sew just inside the edging, with something that matches the background.

I didn't have something that exactly matched, so you can see it, but I find myself not caring much. I sewed them on with my machine. No way would I want to hand sew them. I dislike that even more than ironing.

Any needle, although the fatter the needle, the harder it is to push through.

Any matching thread. I try to match the color of the border, rather than the background of the patch. Then as I sew, I make my stiches go from one side of the border edge to the other side of THAT edge, parallel to the stiches in the border. It looks like I'm just adding more stiches into the border. If the color is a little off, it still blends in pretty well.

Stapling works great to position the patch for sewing.

Also, I just sew through a pocket if the patch is going on the pocket. If I were doing a Boy Scout uniform pocket, I might consider trying to keep the pocket open for use, but I never bothered with the Cub Scout uniform. The array of rank badges will end up overlapping the pocket anyway.

I sew my son's uniform but use the patch and iron stuff for his badges on the vest.

Any needle. I use invisible thread so so I don't have to buy a bunch of different color thread.

Learn it now so you can teach your boy by the time he reaches boy scouts. My DS sewed all his patches on his sash for Boy Scouts. I was glad to turn that little chore over to him. :lol:

Because no one will ever see the edit on my original post I thought I better correct the information here. I was not thinking - it has been a long day - when I mentioned the ironing for Badge Magic. You DO NOT iron it on. Just peel and press. Sorry. :glare:

You can remove it without going to the dry cleaner - the Badge Magic site has a video showing how here

I put a 12 or a 14 in the machine.

100% polyester. I prefer Gutermann brand. Don't use cotton, it will shrink and cause puckers.

Try to match the stitching that runs around the outside edge of the badge. If you stitch along with the straight stitches on the inside of the already stitched border, with a pretty close color match, your stitches won't be visible.

Badge Magic. Badge Magic. Badge Magic. Much easier than either sewing or ironing on. There is badge Magic for Boy/Cub scouts and Girl Scouts.

Here is the sire -- check out the instructional videos link on the right. There is info on how to apply & how to remove badges.

http://www.badgemagic.com/info_pages/index.cfm?fuseaction=instructions

I haven't sewn on a patch in years. We use Badge Magic. They should carry it at the Scout store. You can probably order it online as well. Easy, works, holds through lots of washings. It has preprinted badges on the paper so you just have to be able to cut on the lines :001_smile:

THis is what I used to save time! I have two in uniforms!!

Any needle, although the fatter the needle, the harder it is to push through.

Any matching thread. I try to match the color of the border, rather than the background of the patch. Then as I sew, I make my stiches go from one side of the border edge to the other side of THAT edge, parallel to the stiches in the border. It looks like I'm just adding more stiches into the border. If the color is a little off, it still blends in pretty well.

This is what I do as well. If you are desperate for matching thread the Scout store or online version should have a sewing kit that includes the basic colors used in official badges.

Oh-and it does hurt, I use a thimble.

I sew a lot of patches on uniforms.

I use a size 80 needle, monofilament thread on top and a matching thread (to the shirt) in the bobbin.

The monofilament thread is the invisible nylon thread that is sold at the fabric stores. When you stitch the patch on, the stitches automatically match the patch.

Happy sewing!

After sewing on patches for my 1st ds, I purchased the no sew iron on stuff from the scout store. $8 You can even buy it for cubs or scouts and the stuff is already cut out for you. I'm really cheap so I butt all the patches together and cut them out myself to maximize value.

Its double sided fabric stickers. A few minutes in the dryer and Voila! they are permanently stuck. We haven't had any of the dozens I've affixed, come off.

Also, when they start getting the arrow heads....its so worth it not to have to handle those small hard little arrowheads that are impossible to penetrate with a needle.

Plus...when the boys are done, we pull the patches off, put them in a shadow box and give the shirt away. Easy!

Tip -- I made a special dedicated scout sewing kit for me and my three sons. It has every common color of thread for Cub and Boy Scout uniforms (red, green, blue, gold, tan, purple, etc). It also has a selection of needles and pins and one of those tomato pincushions, in a small plastic box with a close-up lid. This way, us guys can all grab the kit when we need it and sew on patches, without messing up Mom's regular sewing basket.

Another tip -- I sewed on my sons patches when they were Cubs, but when they joined the BS troop, I made them learn to sew and to maintain their own uniforms. This way, they became self-sufficient and didnt make more work for us. The main benefit is they take more pride in their uniforms when they sew their own patches. The boys in our troop who have Mommy do all their work invariably are sloppier and lackadaisical about their uniform.

Once upon a time, sewing was a scout requirement, and I believe that this is a useful skill that every boy should learn, so that one day when Mommy isn't around, they know how to darn a sock or fix a button.