Menu

Suffering burn out already

There is another thread where the original poster asked for help with a large family. I signed on today to get some help myself.

I'm burned out already. We've been in this new year about a month.

I've homeschooled for 13 years. I want to change careers.

Reasons for burn out ? The usual:

sickness

traveling

guests

depression (mine)

laundry

meal (more like LACK of meals)

ADD

ODD

disobedience

chore chart doesn't work anymore (no time/energy to make new chart)

co-op

church

can't read

can't write

can't do math

I am trying my best to do 5 days of lessons, but we are averaging 3 days a week, and in those 3 days are actually doing about 2 days of lessons.

I have a senior this year. She HAS to finish some required subjects to graduate and go to college.

I can NOT get it all together this year. I can't get ANYTHING together.

We have to keep co-op and church in the schedule. We have NO friends since moving last year. Co-op and church are my only link to sanity.

Take one step, then double it...

We had a school day that lasted until 5:30 yesterday, mainly b/c we spent most the day organizing all their folders/books so it was easily accessible....that HELPS!!

Today we woke up at 7:00 and did the chores, we have a break right now and will start school at 8:30...we start off each day reading aloud...it's either history or Bible....for History we're reading H.E. Marshall's "this country of ours" and for Bible we're reading "in the likeness of God" by Dr. Paul Brand...those two things get us inspired and ready to take on the day, starts out with great conversations...then they start tackling their independent work (German, typing, piano, reading,) and I scatter in the dependent work (math, science, Latin)...the key is starting early and starting right....did I think I'd still be reading aloud to a teenager and 2 almost teens? Nah, but it's our most inspiring time together....love it!

Just change things up a bit and make it fun for you!!!

Tara

Get help with the depression and then turn all your priority to child one. You need to get her graduated and into college and that is coming up very, very soon. You didn't give the ages of the others but have them read if they can and do work on their own as much as they are able. You need to work on whatever documents you need for your daughter's college applications.

I think sometimes people get overwhelmed because they choose overwhelming curriculums. I have no idea if that is the case with you but consider it and if that is so, choose something a lot simpler. Something where you assign pages to read, and problem sets to do and not ones where you need to be very hands on and constantly directing. There is no perfect way to homeschool and some program that might have been perfect without a move, a senior in high school, illnesses, and depression might be totally inappropriate with your circumstances.

I totally agree with your decision to go on with co-op. When I was having great troubles with a Jobean year, the co-op was the breath of calmness and sanity for me. It really helped me and yes, I also was a new person to the area. Feel free to PM or email me for more support.

I struggled with fatigue several years back. Here are a few things I did when my energy was low, these work for the younger ones to keep them occupied, I know you can't do this every day, but you get things caught up when the younger kids are happily occupied:

Science: Video/DVD or Discovery channel day

Geography: Make a relief map of whatever you are studying with Play doh (we did Egypt)

Math: Flash cards, Math-It with a prize for fastest time

History: Presidents Rummy, another DVD with a history theme

Reading: again, flash cards

Art: Play doh, coloring, anything else that isn't very messy and stays at the table

Writing: copy a few pages of your favorite story in a tablet

These got me sleep when I needed it, and happily occupied kids when I needed to catch things up!

HTH,

Susan

Pam, I have to share one thing that has made a huge difference for us, since you mentioned meals. I got the book, Fix, Freeze, and Feast and we started preparing our meals this way. I cannot do a whole day of school, keep up with laundry, house, and then also fit in cooking (we have seven kids, two of whom don't speak English.) This is very different than once a month cooking. If you have any interest, check out the book on Amazon, and send me a message. I'll be happy to share more! (Just won't waste your time here, though, if you don't care to read about it.)

Blessings!

Dear Pam: First of all, hugs :grouphug: I'm perhaps not qualified, but I can testify that as a mother of two young children what has really helped me recently is to take time off for myself and do something just for myself. For me this has been swimming. I started going to a Master's Swimming program at my local park (5 minutes away) and it has done wonders for my sanity, my well-being, and my body! I started as a completely unfit beginner who huffed and puffed and had to take five-minute breaks after every 25 m. I could only, with much effort, reach 500m the first day, in an hour and a half. After a little over a month, I'm swimming 1,300m in an hour and doing better and better. What's more, I feel better, sleep better, am in a better mood and have lost six pounds (in my case I didn't care, now I need to eat more) and have more energy to keep up with the kids. Bonus: I have stronger arms, bigger shoulders, sculpted thighs and calves and the beginnings of a six-pack.

Just wanted to share. Hope you find something that works for you as well as swimming works for me. I also started singing in the church choir, and the swimming has helped me with my lung capacity, so I hold my notes longer.

I can relate. I'm schooling 6 with 2 preschoolers. One thing that really helped me a few years ago was to assign my almost 9 year old to fix lunch. It was kind of sink -or-swim as I didn't have time to train him. I did have to work near the kitchen and help him a lot at first, but it was still helpful and soon he was fixing a variety of lunches without much help. Almost 6 years ago my then 12 year old started making breakfast everyday. I'm embarrassed to say that only recently has my 15 year old been alternating that task with him(I was too lazy to teach him and big brother teaching him wasn't working).

I've done a few things this year to help with the adult time for me. One is to meet a friend and her children at the park over lunchtime. We are really strict about keeping it a short time(30 min) which is easier to do since we are doing it 1-3 times a week. Another idea I had(before settling on the park idea) was meeting a mom for a short walk and leaving the kids at home.

Maybe these thoughts will trigger some ideas for you.

Take one step, then double it...

We had a school day that lasted until 5:30 yesterday, mainly b/c we spent most the day organizing all their folders/books so it was easily accessible....that HELPS!!

Today we woke up at 7:00 and did the chores, we have a break right now and will start school at 8:30...we start off each day reading aloud...it's either history or Bible....for History we're reading H.E. Marshall's "this country of ours" and for Bible we're reading "in the likeness of God" by Dr. Paul Brand...those two things get us inspired and ready to take on the day, starts out with great conversations...then they start tackling their independent work (German, typing, piano, reading,) and I scatter in the dependent work (math, science, Latin)...the key is starting early and starting right....did I think I'd still be reading aloud to a teenager and 2 almost teens? Nah, but it's our most inspiring time together....love it!

Just change things up a bit and make it fun for you!!!

Tara

I like what Tara said here.

I've been homeschooling for 8 years now. There's always the danger of burn out. Is it possible to "shut things down" a week (doing only the basics) and then add on a subject and a goal a week? I know you've probably just got started on the new school year, but preventative measures mean you do things out of the ordinary.

For example, you mentioned meals. How about planning a menu for the week (what you will have for breakfast, lunch and dinner)? Shop for what you'll need from the menu to avoid repeat trips to the store for forgotten items. I plan my menus a week ahead.

Guests: yes, I've had quite a few of those too and it's been glorious, but, I've had to limit overnight visitors to once a month. I schedule my friends and family in and only rarely take a last minute visitor.

You-time: you must always schedule *you* time and insist on having it for your own sanity. It can be little break times each day, and "out of the house" time once or twice a month.

Glad you were able to get some much needed sleep. Please keep us informed on how things are going.

:grouphug: