Menu

Latin curriculum question ...

Hello. I'm new here and have enjoyed reading old threads in this forum. You all are a wealth of wisdom and experience.

We are considering the purchase of The Latin Road to English Grammar 1 for our 14 year old, who has no previous exposure to Latin aside from terms in her Biology texts.

What are the general opinions on this curriculum overall?

Has anyone found the DVDs to be necessary or simply useful or superfluous?

I'm trying to determine which package to purchase.

Thank you!

I bought this program years ago to use w/my older dd. I was not that impressed with it, and felt that it was waaaaay overpriced. I settled on LC followed by Henle.

It is a fine program if your goal is to closely intertwine English grammar with Latin grammar. However, if your goal is to learn Latin in and of itself, then there are *plenty* of other programs that will get you there for far less money, and, IMO, will do a much better job of teaching it.

This is JMHO, so others can chime in. :001_smile:

Latin Prep is well-liked by many here, as well as Henle. They are both "teacher-friendly", and can be used by moms without Latin experience.

Another program that is similar to LRTEG is Latin in the Christian Trivium. (They also offer online classes.) That being said, I always highly recommend that you work ahead of your dc in whatever program you decide to use. It makes teaching Latin a lot easier.

Also, I like the idea of using a reading approach in tandem with a standard grammar/translation text. Cambridge Latin and Lingua Latina are both excellent choices for supplemental readings in Latin.

We used the Latin Road for two years and we do not recommend it.

1) The approach is drill and kill. My kids (especially my son) had serious problems with all of the memorization since the paradigms were not put into context. There seemed to be no "why" in all the memorization.

2) The notebook approach did NOT work for my ds. He doesn't like to write that much, and this business of copying everything down was a real struggle for him.

3) After two years we should have been approximately halfway (or more) through a Latin 1 text. We had barely scratched the surface of what was covered in dh's old Jenney Latin 1. That was discouraging.