Menu

Unexplained bruising? What can cause this?

Okay Dr. Hive...here is a question for you. For the past few weeks, I've notice several bruises on my legs (mostly upper thighs) that I cannot explain. One appeared on my left, front thigh out of nowhere. I gradually got larger until it was probably about 2in. wide x 4 in. long! It went away after about a week or so. Well, yesterday, I found another bruise on my right inner thigh (no jokes!) in the shape of an oval and about 2 in. long/wide. It doesn't hurt to touch it. Both were reddish brown in color and gradually got larger as the days went on. What is this? As a side note, my mother AND my grandfather (maternal) both bruise/bruised easily. I would remember my grandfather looking like he was all beat up but he couldn't ever remember hitting into anything or getting hurt at all. I'm a bit worried, b/c I've never bruised easily before.

Okay Dr. Hive...here is a question for you. For the past few weeks, I've notice several bruises on my legs (mostly upper thighs) that I cannot explain. One appeared on my left, front thigh out of nowhere. I gradually got larger until it was probably about 2in. wide x 4 in. long! It went away after about a week or so. Well, yesterday, I found another bruise on my right inner thigh (no jokes!) in the shape of an oval and about 2 in. long/wide. It doesn't hurt to touch it. Both were reddish brown in color and gradually got larger as the days went on. What is this? As a side note, my mother AND my grandfather (maternal) both bruise/bruised easily. I would remember my grandfather looking like he was all beat up but he couldn't ever remember hitting into anything or getting hurt at all. I'm a bit worried, b/c I've never bruised easily before.

Anemia? When I was a teenager, I bruised very easily and the Dr. said it was due to my (then) iron deficiency.

I'd certainly have it checked out, though.

medicines that thin the blood or are anticoagulants can cause bruising at sites recieving the lightest brush or contact

some blood thinners like coumadin (sp?) can cause bruising with no contact... blood seeps through capillaries

some vitamin supplemetns like Vit E can increase bruising

I have a big issue with this at college.... here is what cleared mine up.... Citrus Bioflavonoids... go them at a health food store... it had an almost immediate result

If you aren't on any meds & can't think of anything differnet in your routine, it could just be a deficiency.... try the bioflavonoids... they worked perfect for me

I used to take aspirin each day because of a heart condition. And then I started bruising like you are describing. Then I went on the Atkins diet and one thing I ate every day was a spinach salad. After a few months of this I noticed that I wasn't bruising much anymore. It turns out that spinach has a lot of vitamin K in it, which is important for clotting.

So, I'd look at your medications and supplements as they can sometimes have anticoagulant properties and I would also see your doctor as unexplained bruising can be a sign of something serious. Also, you could try to eat lots of raw spinach and see what happens.

Anemia? When I was a teenager, I bruised very easily and the Dr. said it was due to my (then) iron deficiency.

I'd certainly have it checked out, though.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: this is my life. When I stop taking my iron for whatever reason, within days I'm covered in bruises and dh gets on me. Its not that he doesn't find purple attractive, its that he doesn't like the dirty looks he gets when we go out :tongue_smilie: