Menu

When did Algebra get broken up into I and II?

when i was in high school (mid seventies), there was Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, and Calculus. each was a year long course. i lasted, sort of, through Trig. felt lost most of the time except for Geometry.

my son is in TT Algebra I now and it's making perfect sense to me. of course, hehe, I'm older and wiser but today I'm wondering if the teaching is more incremental now. perhaps i was so lost in high school because what is now Algebra I and II was crammed into one year. when and why has it been broken into two years?

when i was in high school (mid seventies), there was Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, and Calculus. each was a year long course. i lasted, sort of, through Trig. felt lost most of the time except for Geometry.

my son is in TT Algebra I now and it's making perfect sense to me. of course, hehe, I'm older and wiser but today I'm wondering if the teaching is more incremental now. perhaps i was so lost in high school because what is now Algebra I and II was crammed into one year. when and why has it been broken into two years?

Well, back when I was an honors track student in Ohio in the early-mid 70s, I took math courses in this sequence, beginning in 8th grade: Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Trigonometry & Analytic Geometry, Calculus. All of my younger siblings followed the same track for Alg I, Alg II, and Geometry. My oldest daughter did the same track for Alg I, Alg II, and Geometry in the late 90s. By that time the next course was labeled Pre-calculus for many texts and Advanced Math for Saxon.

I'd be interested to hear how it has been for others.

Possibly the Algebra II topics were lumped in with Trig. Trig isn't usually a year-long course on its own, and Algebra I and II is a lot of math to cram into one Freshman year. When I was in HS (graduated in 87), it went Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II/Trig, then Calculus. I own some math texts from the late 60's and early 70's and they are just Algebra I, nothing resembling Algebra II topics in there.

We need a shrug icon.

Barb

Mine were: 1) Algebra 2) Geometry 3) Intermediate Algebra and Trig

4) Calculus I did 1-3. I started 4 but fell asleep each day along with most of the class, it was right after lunch. I dropped the class with a 90's average and picked up a second lunch! Hey, it was the mid-70s.

Laura

Deidre--you and I are of the same vintage. My high school used Dolciani text books (which I continue to use today). Our order was: Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II/Trig, Advanced Math (using what was essentially Dolciani's version of a precalculus text). Calculus could be taken at the nearby college; back then, the course was called Calculus and Analytic Geometry.

I agree with the other poster who commented that trig in itself is not a year long course. In the 70's it was a part of our Algebra II experience, but some kids do not see any trig at all now in an Algebra II course. They are not exposed to the subject until precalc.

I took:

Algebra I - 9th grade

Algebra II - 10th grade

Geometry - 10th grade (it was a seperate class from Al II)

Trig - 11th (I don't know what else they trhough in)

Pre calc - 12th

My dh graduated in the early-mid '60's. He started Algebra I in 8th grade to complete his 5 years of math. He also had a seperate Algebra II course.

For me it was Al I, geometry, Al II/trig, and then a course called analysis and analytic geometry...ie...precalc....

I did great in Al I and II...but the same old bat taught geometry and the senior course of pre-calc....we despised each other....so I dropped it and took Calc in college. (for which I was completely unprepared!)

BTW....I love math now....Thank you Steve Demme, Harold Jacobs, and Paul Foerster!

:D