Menu

How can I get rid of mice in my garage?

Tap

We live across the street from a huge farm so we get a lot of field mice in our garage. After killing several mice a day with mouse traps, we finally called an exterminator. He put some sort of box on each side of the garage door where we assume they were getting in. The mice have to go through the box to get inside and whatever they pick up in there dehydrates them. The bonus is that they usually make their way back outside in search of water before they die (no more dead mice to deal with!). We have not seen a mouse since we had this done!

The boxes are safe for children and pets because they can not get to whatever is inside. Even if one of our pets were to eat one of the dead mice there is nothing harmful that would affect our pets.

We found one in our garage a couple of weeks ago. When we bought this house we knew that there had been mice (we saw droppings). After seeing a live one in the garage I went on a rampage. We bought regular traps, glue traps and poison. I put the poison in place the kids and dog couldn't get to and set the traps out. We've caught two and they have both been on the glue traps. Not exactly humane but I figure I will not trap or poison anything outdoors as it's their home but once they come into my house or garage, I'll take whatever means necessary. Looks like the glue traps work well. Just be sure to tell the children not to touch (no poison just very sticky) and keep away from pets or any place a bird or something could get to it.

YOu've gotten good advice. You know if they are in the garage, they may also be in your attic. Poison is good up there...except when they die and stink. But that doesn't happen too often.

Also, consider why the mice are getting in your garage...what's different from other years?

Two years ago we were invaded. Yuck. I got to thinking -- my outside cat was gone, my busy-body dog was gone, AND I'd made some neat piles of branches near the garage. I was practically inviting the little buggers in.

I moved the branches immediately. The neighbors have a new outdoor cat that I'm making friends with. My son moved back home with a very busy little dog who is keeping my yard free of rabbits and mice.

My ds says his father has had some success with peppermint oil on cotton balls.

I'd recommend a female garage-cat.

Yup. Ditto on the cat. A hungry cat. LOL

When Fall hits, you will see more rodents. And as someone else

said, if you see one, there will be many many more hidden.

Bait the traps where the cat cannot get hurt. And be patient.

It takes time to get rid of them.

Oh, man, this is not what I wanted to hear!

A cat isn't an option. We are anti-furry pets right now. Ds's best friend is Highly allergic to cats (even fur on other people's clothes). So we would have to trade a friend for a furry, I think ds may object. :001_huh:

Alright, I need mouse trap 101. I have been successful so far with peanut butter on spring traps. I obviously need to up my artillery. Anyone with mice-war experience, care to help me with a battle plan.

We had mice until we got our cat. A friend had found her (not a house cat) and she does a good job of eating everything from mice to birds.

A cat isn't an option. We are anti-furry pets right now. Ds's best friend is Highly allergic to cats (even fur on other people's clothes). So we would have to trade a friend for a furry, I think ds may object.

You don't have to let it in the house. Treat it like country folks treat a barn cat.

Having a 6-foot black snake wandering round the basement for the last several months has helped my boyfriend's mouse problem tremendously! He lives in between 2 fields, and is always getting them--mice, that is. The snake has just come where the food is.

Of course, I try not to think about it too much...and we don't let his cat into the basement anymore...and when it sheds its skin I get a lovely case of the willies...

...but it's a tradeoff, no?:001_smile: