Menu

Home school/ On-line/ public school

I am considering a combination of home school / online/ and public school for 9th grade next year. I think I'd like to do home school for math since that is going well, science at public school since they have the equipment, and maybe Latin, Spanish and writing online.

Any opinions on what courses lend themselves to online? Or public?

I am considering a combination of home school / online/ and public school for 9th grade next year. I think I'd like to do home school for math since that is going well, science at public school since they have the equipment, and maybe Latin, Spanish and writing online.

Any opinions on what courses lend themselves to online? Or public?

There are PLENTY of online options for Latin and writing. IMO, Spanish is better done live (as in a classroom). But, what do I know - I've never studied or taught Spanish in any form.

We tried to to Latin at the ps this year, but the school didn't welcome us with open arms. The person involved didn't call us back until after the classes had been filled (we called before that) and when I called back in early August, on her suggestion, she told me she'd call me back and never did. I'm sure people drop Latin and that she could have transferred in, but I've also decided not to interrupt my day driving her back and forth, even if I could get her in.

That said, you might have an easier time with your ps, and my dd was very disappointed. They have a good Latin program at the local ps.

2 of my kids were in ps last year and took biology where they didn't do one single dissection or use a microscope.

needless to say, we were very disappointed, after doing apologia biology with the sonlight microscope with our oldest. it was her favorite high school science!

We are dual-enrolled with the ps this year. The first time that we have done so. DS is in an honors math class (9th grade) and if this goes well, we are considering math next year, along with a chem lab.

The experience thus far has been excellent. He is getting acquainted with different teacher style, strict deadlines, neatness counts...some of the things I have not pushed quite as hard. The value has been worth it. After hearing the perspective of some area history and lit teachers, I would not put ds in ps for history, literature...any of the humanities. I'm considering science, math and perhaps language. That's about the end of my comfort zone. I kept him home for 9th grade bio because I thought this might be the one chance to learn a Christian apologetic for bio. With chem and physics I am not so concerned (but maybe just incredibly naive.)

FYI, I went to the high school in April the year before and began the ball rolling. It takes a long time to get phone calls returned. Finally I went to the school and met with people in person. Overall, they have been responsive and helpful, after finally meeting face to face. Oh, and we did have to take a placement exam for the math. . .

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest michaelsteven

It is better to look for such schools.Schools should train students in such a way they would be able to face the life courageously.My friends also look for these type of schools.

We use The Potter's School for online science...LOVE it. http://www.pottersschool.org/

The only reason we decided against public school for language or something is that she would have to be there *every single day* at the *same time* day after day after day.....which defeats the purpose of home schooling for flexibilty and not being tied down to some one else's schedule. A home school co-op is okay because it is just one day a week. This is just my opinion of course. :D