Menu

Can homeschooled kids take classes at your local public school?

I'm in PA. I am going to talk to the district about it but thought I would ask here first. My dd12, as you know, is in ps this year. She is doing well for the most part, but I still feel her academics are lacking. However, she has joined the chorus and that has been her "dream" for a long time. I really don't want her to miss out on that. Does your local district allow homeschoolers to take a class or 2 at the public school? This particular class is only offered on the "even" days (they have a 6 day schedule...don't ask) and it is the last period of the day. It would work out so well to just take her to the school for the last period and have her ride the bus home. Asking too much? :D What has been your experience with this?

In Washington State, children receiving home-based instruction are entitled to enroll in any ancillary course, including extra curricular activities, offered by the public schools.

I'm very thankful for that because, come time for middle school, I plan to fully exercise that right (dh doesn't know that yet ;) ). Dc are in 2nd and 3rd right now, but I'm only hearing terrible things from parents of older children about our middle school (7th and 8th). Nevermind that I, myself spent the worst two years of my life there. We'll most likely enroll part-time and teach the critical courses at home, taking advantage of the fun ones they offer at school.

Are Chorus/Band?Orchestra an After-School activities in your district?

They require in class time as well as extra time after.

According to our state law:

the school district of residence shall permit a child who is enrolled in a home education program to participate in any activity that is subject to the provisions of Section 511 including, but not limited to, clubs, musical ensembles, athletics and theatrical productions

In VA I believe it's up to the individual school district, The only services the Chesapeake Public School system will let my kids into is those that require a Service Plan (what they call and IEP for homeschoolers). My dd is allowed to go in for Speech at the local PS, but I had to do dual enrollment for that. I'm still a little leary about all the paperwork I had to fill out for her to go there a whopping 30 minutes a week, so if there's any trouble at all about her going just for that I'll pull her and do my best to find a way to pay for private therapy.

MN law allows homeschooled children the ability to participate in all extracurriculars, music, and PE. It also allows school districts to provide shared time programs for other academics, but shared time programs are not required.

My kids are in 2nd and K, and they are attending our public school for one class period every day. They go for the specials rotation - art, music, PE. Our elementary school is wonderful, and my kids will be participating in school parties, fieldtrips, and other special events too. We are the only young homeschooling family in our TinyTown, so my kids' friends have to be public schooled kids.

Technically, yes (this is in California). Homeschoolers are considered private school students, and techinically, private school students may take classes at the local public school *if there is room.* But really, it rarely happens. Hsers have found little need for that, though; they've just created their own courses for hsers, which are usually every bit as satisfying as what the public schools offer, without hasseling with the public schools.

I'm in PA. I am going to talk to the district about it but thought I would ask here first. My dd12, as you know, is in ps this year. She is doing well for the most part, but I still feel her academics are lacking. However, she has joined the chorus and that has been her "dream" for a long time. I really don't want her to miss out on that. Does your local district allow homeschoolers to take a class or 2 at the public school? This particular class is only offered on the "even" days (they have a 6 day schedule...don't ask) and it is the last period of the day. It would work out so well to just take her to the school for the last period and have her ride the bus home. Asking too much? :D What has been your experience with this?

Yes, we're in Dallastown school district near you, and in our district homeschoolers are allowed to take part in band, chorus, and sports. We haven't done it yet, but I would consider it if I had a child who was really interested. I also know several people in Red Lion whose homeschooled children have taken music lessons at the elementary schools, and been in the middle school band.

In Pinellas County, FL...yes. I have one ds taking Drama 3/4 and doing cross country and track. I have another ds taking Drama I and TV Production I...he is also doing cross country and lacrosse and will also take Driver's Ed in the spring. It's the best of both worlds here. (My oldest is also dually enrolled at the community college and taking 12 hours there.)

In Oregon it's up to the school district (or maybe even school). Our middle school lets homeschoolers take up to two electives per term. If they are enrolled in core classes, then they can take more (there is some middle ground, where students can take one or more core classes "off site" and not be considered homeschoolers - several parents take advantage of this to do math on their own).

In my part of New England and MA, yes. They can also play sports. You need to have sent your LOI and have been approved (nothing to it in my town, and I've never heard of any denials here).

The family does have to write a note to the principal stating why they would like to participate in academic classes, Driver's Ed, art, or music (with a CC to the music & art directors). You don't for sports or theater, and I have *no idea* why. I am guessing that each district has their own set of thoughts about all of this. As far as I have heard, anyone who has tried to take any classes has been Ok'd. One of mine runs track, but we've never needed anything else.

Illinois also has the "if there is room" requirement but it also states that requests must be made by May 1 for the following school year. I didn't know we were homeschooling for sure on May 1 and when I called in summer to enroll my daughter in band they gave me a little fuss but wound up letting her.

Sorry to say in NY it is all in or all out. Homeschool students can't take any classes at the local schools.

So is life in the empire.

Actually, it's up to the superintendent of each district. This regulation is in the 100 section, but not usually excerpted with the rest of the homeschool regs. It is usually in the packet they send, the FAQs, if your district uses that packet. (We got it on LI and upstate.) I'd quote the specific spot, but I don't want to read it through. Lazy. You can look by going to

http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/part100/pages/1001.html

or

http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/part100/pages/1002.html

etc. Just change that last number to get to the next part of the regs. Terrible navigation on that site.

Someone told me once that it's easier in NYC, that the folks there don't mind so much. Up here in the Mohawk Valley, no supers will let hsers in.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

In my town in Delaware, no. Not only can hs'ed kids not take classes at our local public school but when I called to see if DS could take an AP test there (a College Board test) I was told---"If I let a hs'ed kid test with OUR kids I know I'll get my hands slapped."

That's my town though. Last year my DS took all his AP tests at the PS in the next town and they were only too happy to have him there. I've already had them tell me that he is welcome to take his tests with them this spring too.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nysulsub

I am actually still a homeschooler, but my dd isn't. The short of it is that her needs are much better served in a formal school setting. I wish there was a classical school to send her to, but there isn't one in this area.

Like the choice to homeschool, nothing is necessarily forever. If terrible things started happening at school she would be back home but for now school is the better place for her, and me.